Property management: Multiple rental units and My ecobee device for energy savings

Hi,

I’ve just completed a project for a property manager who wanted to better control all his ecobee thermostats in 10 rental units with a resilient ecobee-SmartThings integration.

In brief, the property manager wanted to use My Ecobee device & my smartapps in order to avoid cooling/heating the units when the guests are away at Nights or during the day (for energy savings).

The property manager didn’t want to systematically use the default ecobee’s Sleep schedule. Instead, he wanted to detect motion/activity using the front lock and any motion/occupancy sensors available at the location to trigger the Sleep schedule when somebody is home between 10pm and 8am. If no motion was detected during the timeframe, the Away comfort settings was applied by default.

Also, during the day, of course, he wanted to trigger the Away schedule after 60 minutes of inactivity in any rental unit based on multiple motion/occupancy sensors ( not only the ecobee’s proprietary remote sensors).

On top of it, the property manager wanted to override any manual holds made by the guests at the ecobee thermostats with a new hold (with the same thermostat’s setpoints), but with the guest’s end date/time according to what the property manager had scheduled for the guest in the Rboy’s Lock API manager. This would avoid any situation when a manual hold would stay longer than the guest’s scheduled end date/time.

I created a smartapp called ecobeeTstatHoldOverride for the above use case.

Don’t hesitate to contact me at services@maisonsecomatiq.com for more details.

Regards.

Here is my thread:

Very interesting information. I’m now in Ukraine and I’m a traveller and blogger. After visiting so many countries I decided to change my place of living and want all equipment for efficient and A+++ (public service) way of living. I was impressed by many videos on YouTube how many people taking their own ideas for something to construct, everything hand made. I’m not a poor young man but I know lack of experience can put me in trouble so after surfing online options I found about https://hrex.org/khasra-khatauni as they told me about land property in India and all benefits. It was an interesting few days to immerge in to their map full of opportunities and so many places to stop and live a happy life. In 2021 February I will be there, as a guest, as a friend and as a new neighbour.

If you’re looking at remotely managing properties you can combine with above Ecobee integration with an app like RLA to completely automate and make energy efficient property management