Philips Hue motion sensor after migration

I have eight Philips Hue motion sensors that I use custom device handlers for. Without the custom device handler they would not work with SmartThings. After the migration to the new SmartThings app will these motion sensors still work with SmartThings?

best thing you can do is test them in the new app.

the migration does not touch devices or smartapps or make any changes to them.

migration only performs the following:
converts SHM and SHM custom rules over to STHM and automations/scenes.
converts routines over to automations/scenes
moves ST’s smart locks to smart lock guest access
removes SHM and SHM custom rules
removes routines
removes ability to edit scenes in the classic app

1 Like

Does that mean that if I can currently access the devices in the new app they will work after the migration? I read that custom device handlers were going away with the migration. When I look at the device in the new app is it not using the custom device handler that it is using in the classic app?

As @jkp mentions, the migration doesn’t touch devices or smartapps, BUT the device WILL look different in the new app since the custom DTH more than likely needs to be updated by the developer.

See my comment above. It’s still using the DTH, but it’s not presenting the custom capabilities that it did in the Classic app. The developer must update the DTH for the new app.

Not true with the migration from Classic to the new app. ST’s road map does have a change in direction for custom DTH’s, but we have yet to know exactly what that will be or look like at the moment.

2 Likes

Yes, they will continue To work after the migration. But groovy and current custom device handlers will cease at some point in 2021. By that time, ST should have their replacement for groovy ready to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

That all makes sense, thanks. What I read must have been outdated or I misinterpreted.

Other than the obvious UI difference, the devices look the same from both the new and classic app. I haven’t had much time to fully research custom device handlers or look at the code for this one, but from my understanding, the handler I am using does not really add any custom capabilities, it does however change the ZigBee profile of the device to make it compatible with the SmartThings hub.

Great, this is good to hear, thanks! I’ll have to research the Groovy replacement so if necessary, and the developer hasn’t done so, I can rewrite the handler.

Cool, then you should be just fine with the new app. Depending on any Zigbee cluster/attribute difference that the custom DTH may have done, you could potentially use a stock ST handler instead, especially if all it did was add a fingerprint profile to the stock handler.

1 Like

I completed the migration and am happy to confirm that this answer was correct as expected. My Philips hue motion sensors still work in SmartThings.

Hi my friend, How I can take my Hue Motion Sensors form Hue ecosystem to Smartthings ecosystem ?, can you help me guiding step by step ?.. I think have them in ST system is better because I can handle and automate them in combination with microswitches and other ST devices. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Sorry it took me a while to get to this.

First I would like to say, proceed with caution when doing this. In order to get SmartThings to work with the Hue Motion sensor the ZigBee profile is changed, but it is hard to change it back (you might need a special device to do so), and it will no longer be compatible with the the Hue bridge until you change the profile back. That combined with the fact that SmartThings is making some changes might leave you with sensors that no longer work with SmartThings or the Hue bridge in the future. Currently with mine since the upgrade I can no longer look at the device in the SmartThings app without it crashing. The Hue motion sensors are my favorite to use with SmartThings but I’m holding off on buying any new ones until I know my existing ones will continue to work with the Groovy replacement.

So, here are the steps.

• Go to the device handlers and find add
  • Copy and paste the code for the Hue device handler in the appropriate area. See this link for the code (Hue motion sensor (use ST hub, but no hue bridge))
  • Follow the instructions to finish adding your device handler
  • Now you can go to the SmartThings app and go to add device -> discover near by
  • Put your motion sensor in pairing mode by holding the reset button
  • Now you should see your motion sensor show up in the SmartThings app
  • Enjoy

These steps were taken from memory so they might not be exact

Wow !..I like very much the Philips Hue Sensor, its great, good looking and very reliable, but … that gives me some idea that could be a cool issue but with a big risk, I do not know if bet for it or better avoid at all and better consider a native motion sensor like ST or other nice one. Thanks for share your experience. There are some youtube videos about it but no one of them warn about this risk !