PC Interface? (Is there one?)

Ok, I apologize then. I found one forum post that seemed to indicate that smartthings didn’t allow just anyone to do that. I guess I didn’t understand what they were saying. Most of the posts I saw were from years ago that were talking about alex’s Method. When I searched for him, action tiles started showing up everywhere. Do you know of any posts I could look at to get started? Thanks

The keyword search is “Dashboard”. There are plenty of examples posted throughout this forum. I myself use and love ActionTiles.

This is more feedback to Samsung than anything else…

While I do think that ActionTiles should be compensated for their efforts, I also think that Samsung should be providing an PC interface. Why provide a phone interface and not a PC one? Thanks to some boneheads before my time abusing phone use, phone use is strongly discouraged at my work. I can use a kiosk with a browser at work. So…I’ll go through the pain for myself if as I feel it is worth it (barely), but when people ask how I feel about my Smartthings system, I’ll let them know both the pros and cons. Most get it, but there are a few that say not having a PC interface doesn’t work for them. One said it reflects a disinterest in the GenX and older generations. Not sure I agree, but I think Samsung might want to do a focus group to figure out what is best for Samsung.

Use The quick browse lists in the community-created wiki, look in the project reports section down near the bottom of the page, and then choose the list for “dashboard“. You will find both free and paid license projects there. :sunglasses:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

This forum is for customers helping other customers. :sunglasses:

To send ideas or feedback to Samsung/smartthings Use their Facebook page or Twitter feed or official support line:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

Have you tried BlueStacks for this? I do. If you don’t know, BlueStacks is an android emulator that will Run on your PC. You then install the ST app. You are still using an app but it is on the PC and is more convenient than using your mobile at times.

https://www.bluestacks.com/

When I try to load the new Smartthings app on Bluestacks, the app always crashes. I can run the classic app on it.

Have you had any luck with the new app on Bluestacks?

Yes, But it was kind of a PITA to figure out.

First, make sure that you’re running 4.104.12.1102 or older.
Under Settings, I use profile OnePlus 5. (If I use Samsung S8 it breaks, Go Figure).

Make sure to install the current versions of both apps and Chrome browser.
I believe emulating a non Samsung device forces a browser login rather than logging in from the app itself.
Once you have everything running, go to settings > User Data > Create Backup.

Once you have a backup, keep it and then you can update to the latest version of Bluestacks. Then simply restore from your backup.

2 Likes

There have SmartThing API (REST API) but it need lot of integration.

This could be a deal breaker for me. What about an old MAC book will that run the app? What about external keyboard (Bluetooth)? What about USB-c to HDMI TV? I find it very cumbersome to solely use my IPhone. How about connecting IPhone to my PC, is that possible?
Thanks Guys/Gals