Pairing a device on the other side of the yard

I have been using Z-Wave for about 5 years (just switched to SmartThings from Homeseer) and with homeseer, if I had a range issue adding a device, I could just move the computer closer to the device and it would pair no problem. Once the network was established the longer range to the hub wasnā€™t a problem.

Iā€™m running into this issue now though. Seeing the hub has a leash on it (Ethernet cable), Iā€™m having a problem pairing my dimmer light to my pool (approx. 85ā€™ line of sight to the hub).

What are your suggestions? My first thought was to run a 50ā€™ Ethernet cable and power and temporarily put the hub in the back yard to get closer.

The interesting part is that the hot tub dimmer paired and is working but every now and then the device gets marked ā€œunavailableā€. At that point, I just refresh it and it is fine.

The switches are Linear 500W Dimmers that are mounted in my breaker box behind the pool equipment.

Thanks in advance!
Stephen

I donā€™t recall if it was Z-Wave Plus or not because itā€™s just a dimmer so wasnā€™t too concerned at the time. I checked on Amazon, but it doesnā€™t say plus but has a z-wave plus logo in one of the pix.

I was thinking I would need to go gangsta with my network and run a long Ethernet cable just to pair this oneā€¦

For the life of me, I donā€™t understand why Samsung didnā€™t build WiFi into the Hub for Gen2 for this exact problem.

Thanks for the reply!

For a zwave classic device, The easiest way is probably to use a minimote. :sunglasses:These are available on both the US and UK frequency. ( you can also use it for zwave devices, itā€™s just that you probably wonā€™t need to.)

A minimote has two completely separate functions. On an every day basis, it can serve as a handheld remote, and each of the four visible buttons can be assigned to anything that SmartThings can do. So it can turn on another device, change the mode, arm the smart home monitor feature, etc.

In addition, and this is what is relevant here, there are four buttons inside a slider compartment that can be used for administrative functions, including pairing New devices to your network. Very useful. :sunglasses:

Just make sure you get the correct frequency for your region.

US:

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/controllers/z-wave-remotes/z-wave-minimote

UK:

And hereā€™s the community FAQ on the process:

Thanks for the info! I have seen these in the past, but never needed them because most of my devices were hard wired and I even have a 7 button scene controller a the top of my staircase.

If I canā€™t get the long Ethernet cable to work, I will give this a shot.

A couple years back before Homeseer came out with the Z-Wave plus stick, I used the Aeotec Smart Stick which had a button on it and a built in rechargeable battery that I could walk around, pair or unpair devices and when all was done, plug it back into the computer and sync the data.

1 Like

Just remember, as @anon36505037 mentioned, to do a zwave repair afterwards, since you are moving the hub to a different physical location.

You didnā€™t have to run this yourself with homeseer, it ran a repair is part of regular maintenance through the Z-health options. But with smartthings, you have to initiate it yourself each time.

1 Like

You could always get a wireless bridge, There are some pretty cheap ones out there that should work for a Ethernet extension.

I might have an old wireless range extender in my closet that I could use as a short term interim to get this thing workingā€¦

Yea, I noticed there was no automated repair in STā€¦ Homeseer was pretty good with that stuff, but got tired of tinkering with the system.

1 Like

I was finally able to get these devices to pair and I added an outdoor switch halfway in between the pool and hot tub lights, but now they are showing ā€œunavailableā€

I ran a z-wave repair and no luck. Any ideas?

They may just be too far away from the hub, this happens to the sensor in my shed all the time. When the shed door is open no issue, when I close the shed door and have device health ā€œunavailableā€. I donā€™t really have a good half way area to install a repeater or another device to improve the mesh.