Osram Lightify Switch (Not the Osram Dimming Switch)

They do come in a choice of colors and finishes. You can buy the various pieces separately to get the look that you like.

This is what minimalistic design looks like:
I will see whether I can buy the controller and built it into this, that would be really cool, and WAF would definitely be a 10.

I understand.

It won’t solve your problem because you can’t as yet use it with SmartThings unless you are also using your bulbs through a hue bridge, but I personally like the design of the Phillips hue personal dimmer switch. It can control up to 10 bulbs at once and has dimming as well as on/off. When used with the bridge it becomes a parallel means of control. SmartThings doesn’t know what you did with the switch, but since it polls the hue bridge about every five minutes anyway, the status gets caught up.

It has a magnet back, so I put mine on my refrigerator where my assistance dog can use it.

It’s a good price and solves a lot of problems for us.

I believe you could use it, but you would have to also buy a Phillips hue bridge and then connect your bulbs to that. The switch would work on its own with the bulbs, but only if it stole them from Smart things. In order to be able to use the bulbs with both smart things and the Phillips switch, you have to do it through a hue bridge.

1 Like

I thought about going the Philips way, but I hated the fact that I needed two hubs and the 5 min pulling interval. I will also be adding some Fibaro relays, so I need something that is not limited to Philips only.

Then you’re definitely better off with a device like the zwave.me that can be used as what SmartThings calls a “button controller.” They can be used with any device that can be controlled by SmartThings.

If it doesn’t have to be wall mounted, or if you’re willing to build your own frame, the Aeon minimote is minimalist and very popular. Available in both the US and UK frequencies.

Shop around, prices vary a lot. Also Sometimes the black colour costs more than the white, sometimes less:

1 Like

I have actual been looking into this remote, and it seems like it is a pretty good option. I have not seen a wall mount for this remote.

Like you have a wall mount for your AC remote, so you always know where it is.

There isn’t a wall frame that I know of, although some members have built one or even just used Velcro on the back. (It’s very light.)

Some people just use a tool holder.

One person has a 3D printed holder

The four buttons inside the case are for network utilities like adding to the network.

The four buttons on top of the case can each be either “push” or “hold”, meaning a short press or a long press, which means you get two functions for each button.

Typically for lights people use a short press for on and then a long press for off.

But it also means you could use one button to change the mode or run a routine or arm/disarm a siren, etc.

Four buttons mean eight SmartThings options, but “on” is one option and “off” is another for most uses.

Btw, this was one community member’s method. :wink:

Not a very high xAF factor, though.

One thing this picture does show which I wanted to mention, however is the nice “office” label on it.

I stick a colored dot on the back of ours. :large_blue_circle:

Either way, if you will be able to take the minimotes down, and you expect to have more than one of them, it’s a really good idea to label them somehow. Just speaking from personal experience. :wink:

It will properly be a while before I make a decision. I have been testing out one of the Osram RGBW and an MultiSensor 6. I am very impressed with the lux sensor, as it only reports sun light and not light from the Osram bulb. The motion sensor is a different story, you have to be very close to it before it reports movement, and the movement has to be rather large. I will check out the Fibaro sensor, and how will it performance will determinate which and how many switches I need.

1 Like

I will mention that I did get an email from Engineering at OSRAM today and the engineer sounded like he was willing to help me get past the issue so I am sending him a link to my code so he can take a look. He made sure to let me know that he cannot provide “official” support but he was willing to take a look and see if he could replicate the issue and maybe give me some pointers. We will see how it works out, I am hopeful since I actually got a reply and the engineer seems interested in helping.

3 Likes

First post here. I have not coded in 20 years. I have no idea how, but I copied some code example from SmartThings, tweaked it a little. And somehow got my Osram Lightify Switch to work!? I’m very happily surprised. It is no longer just a “thing” and I can turn it on / off. :slight_smile:

I’m sure the code it totally bonkers for the device - but it seems to work fine.

Just as a side note: From my experience Zigbee works dramatically better than Zwave. I used Zwave 7 years ago and it just did not work well. With ST my ZWave devices dont really work well either but all the Zigbee ones do (yes, I’ve done endless network repairs to no avail). So I’m very excited to have the Osram switch, it is Zigbee and less than half the price of the other Zwave devices on Amazon

/**
*  Copyright 2015 SmartThings
*  Adapted by Michael Seifert for the Osram Switch (NOT the dimmer).
*  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
*  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
*      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
*  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
*  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
*  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
*/

metadata {
//    definition (name: "ZigBee Dimmer", namespace: "smartthings", author: "SmartThings") {
definition (name: "ZigBee Switch", namespace: "smartthings", author: "Seifert") {
        capability "Actuator"
        capability "Configuration"
        capability "Refresh"
        capability "Switch"

fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0008"
        fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0008, 0B04, FC0F", outClusters: "0019", manufacturer: "OSRAM", model: "LIGHTIFY SWITCH ON/OFF", deviceJoinName: "OSRAM LIGHTIFY SWITCH"
        fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0008, FF00", outClusters: "0019", manufacturer: "MRVL", model: "MZ100", deviceJoinName: "Wemo Bulb"
        fingerprint profileId: "0104", inClusters: "0000, 0003, 0004, 0005, 0006, 0008, 0B05", outClusters: "0019", manufacturer: "OSRAM SYLVANIA", model: "iQBR30", deviceJoinName: "Sylvania Ultra iQ"
    }

tiles(scale: 2) {
        multiAttributeTile(name:"switch", type: "lighting", width: 6, height: 4, canChangeIcon: true){
            tileAttribute ("device.switch", key: "PRIMARY_CONTROL") {
                attributeState "on", label:'${name}', action:"switch.off", icon:"st.switches.light.on", backgroundColor:"#79b821", nextState:"turningOff"
                attributeState "off", label:'${name}', action:"switch.on", icon:"st.switches.light.off", backgroundColor:"#ffffff", nextState:"turningOn"
                attributeState "turningOn", label:'${name}', action:"switch.off", icon:"st.switches.light.on", backgroundColor:"#79b821", nextState:"turningOff"
                attributeState "turningOff", label:'${name}', action:"switch.on", icon:"st.switches.light.off", backgroundColor:"#ffffff", nextState:"turningOn"
            }
        }
        standardTile("refresh", "device.switch", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat", width: 2, height: 2) {
            state "default", label:"", action:"refresh.refresh", icon:"st.secondary.refresh"
        }
        main "switch"
        details(["switch", "refresh"])
    }
}

// Parse incoming device messages to generate events
def parse(String description) {
    log.debug "description is $description"

def event = zigbee.getEvent(description)
    if (event) {
        sendEvent(event)
    }
    else {
        log.warn "DID NOT PARSE MESSAGE for description : $description"
        log.debug zigbee.parseDescriptionAsMap(description)
    }
}

def off() {
    zigbee.off()
}

def on() {
    zigbee.on()
}

def refresh() {
    return zigbee.readAttribute(0x0006, 0x0000) +
        zigbee.readAttribute(0x0008, 0x0000) +
        zigbee.configureReporting(0x0006, 0x0000, 0x10, 0, 600, null) +
        zigbee.configureReporting(0x0008, 0x0000, 0x20, 1, 3600, 0x01)
}

def configure() {
    log.debug "Configuring Reporting and Bindings."

return zigbee.configureReporting(0x0006, 0x0000, 0x10, 0, 600, null) +
        zigbee.configureReporting(0x0008, 0x0000, 0x20, 1, 3600, 0x01) +
        zigbee.readAttribute(0x0006, 0x0000) +
        zigbee.readAttribute(0x0008, 0x0000)
}

For some reason the non-dimmer switch is no longer listed on the Osram site that I can find. Could you post the link to the Amazon page where you found it so people can see which model it is? :sunglasses:

Has anybody been playing around with this, and if possible to use with smartthings?

https://www.osram.com/osram_com/tools-and-services/tools/lightify---smart-connected-light/lightify-pro---intelligent,-connected-light-for-professional-applications/lightify-pro-products/lightify-pro-pbc/index.jsp

It’s an interesting set up. At present I believe it’s only available in Europe. I know it’s been mentioned before, but I don’t know if anyone is actually installed it.

Unfortunately I don’t have an iOS device, so I can’t configure and test it.

Hi guys!

I’ve bought the Osram Lightify Switch (the one with 4 buttons)
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00YSXBROI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried using the device handler posted by mseifert but couldn’t find a suitable smartapp to configure the 4 buttons.

I also tried motley’s and the corresponding smartapp which only allows for configuration of 1 button. When I press the physcial button it registers in the smartthings app but it didn’t trigger thr action it was suppose to be.

Anybody has any idea, which device handler and smartapp i could use for the lightify switch?

Thank you!

1 Like

I am also in need of help with this switch.

Did either of you get anywhere with finding a DTH for the Osram 4 button?

Not yet, I am hoping someone gets it working.

I watched these forums for a few weeks hopeful that someone would come up with a DTH. Then I had a free weekend and decided to do something about it. Proudly presenting my first device handler and binder app: Osram Lightify 4 Button Switch DTH & Binder [ALPHA]

2 Likes