Opening your garage... ideas to pursue

@Brianh - I just installed the Mimolite today in my garage and it works great. The first thing I did was to add it to SmartThings the first time I powered it on. I was fairly close to my hub when I did this.

After it was configured - I set it up in the garage. SmartThings had no problems recognizing it.

There is a tiny button inside the unit you can press, if you need to get it to manually configure with your controller.

Hope this helps!

The mimolite seems pretty cool. What does smartthings recognize it as?

I built #2 (2) Use a big ZWave outdoor module: http://www.amazon.com/GE-45604-Technology-Outdoor-Lighting/dp/B0013V8K3O to power a relay. I’d have to tell my SmartApp to turn it on then immediately turn it off.

Is there a smartthings app available to control the outdoor module i.e. turn it on then off?

Thanks

Ok I just found the fortrezz MIMOlite on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive. I just need further clarification (new to this) about the need and process of “renaming” the item from Aeon Multisensor to Zwave momentary contact. How do you edit what your devices are? Thanks! By the way, the item was only $64.95 on eBay and had a link to a PDF explaining the wiring. Looks really easy.

@foneguy2: You should be able to treat it like the SmartThings outlet plug-in module, so a SmartApp to control it shouldn’t be difficult. I’m not sure if there’s one exactly for this purpose yet though.

One issue could be in turning it off right after turning it on. I’ve been using an outlet with two Once a Day apps to operate my pet feeder by supplying power for five minutes twice a day. It’s come on every time, but the performance in turning it off has been spotty. I see in the logs that an off command is sent five minutes after the on command, but about a quarter of the time the outlet stays on until I manually cycle it. Support suggested that it may be an issue of the timing being too short between the on and off commands, but hopefully this can be solved.

Okay, this is one of the things I’m most excited to hook up with SmartThings. From what I’ve read here and researched on my own, I think the Fortrezz MIMOlite option, as it is the one that seems to be the easiest to set up. I’m not an electrician, but I have installed various Z-Wave outlets and switches (including 3-ways) in the house. However, I have a few questions regarding the Fortrezz MIMOlite option.

1. What “pieces/products” do I need to be able to use it to remotely open/close my garage door? I realize I’ll need the Fortrezz MIMOlite, but will I also need anything else (e.g. multisensory, etc.)?
  2. I have looked at the .pdf that Fortrezz includes for those who wish to use it as a garage door opener and am curious what they mean by “Connect relay parallel to existing door button”? Does that mean I just run the wires from the actual opener, through the relay, and into the button that’s already mounted on the wall? Are any wires included with the relay?
  3. Is the relay run on batteries or a plug? The .pdf looks like it’s powered via a plug. So, if there is not an outlet nearby on the wall where the button is already mounted, should I just install/set the relay on top of the actual opener, as there is an outlet above it?
  4. What does “Remove jumper on P5 to install momentary relay function” mean?
  5. Installing this will still allow us to use our “normal” garage door openers as well, correct?

I would really like to hook this up, but I also want to make sure I do it right, as my wife will not be too pleased if the garage door opener stops working. :wink:

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much,
-Matt

MattB,

The MIMOlite is really easy to connect. It’s all you need to open and close your garage remotely. It syncs to your ST hub when you first power on the device. I’ve added a Multi-sensor to my garage door so I can check the status of the door being open or closed, however, it’s not a requirement.

1. Connecting the device in parallel simply means you are connecting two wires from the MIMOlite directly to two screws where your existing door switch is wired into the garage door opener. I’ve attached my MIMOlite directly to the garage door opener unit itself with a couple of zip ties and then have a short wire pair running to the screw terminals.

2. An AC power adapter comes with the unit which is all you need. Since my MIMOlite is right by the garage door opener, I simply plugged it into the power outlet that is mounted in the ceiling by the garage door opener.

3. Removing the jumper will send a quick ON signal to the garage door opener which will trigger the unit to either open or close the garage (just like your normal switch on the wall).

4. Yes. All existing buttons and remotes will still work.

Again, this is a really easy install. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

@MJ Thanks so much for the thorough answers to my questions! I just ordered it off of Amazon. I already have a multisensor on the door that’s been reconfigured by the ST support team to tell me if the garage door is open or closed.

One quick question though, I believe you mentioned that you plugged it in and paired it with the ST Hub prior to installing it. I’m curious what ST recognizes the relay as. Does it just register as an outlet that I can turn on/off (i.e. open/close the door)? If not, will I need to contact the in-app support to have them do anything with it so it will work?

MattB,

No problem. Yes, the MIMOlite shows up as an outlet. Once you add it to your ST hub - you are good to go! No further help needed from the support team.

Enjoy.

If I connect hardwired contact sensor to MIMO, how will it help me to determine if garage door is open or closed ? Does ST app know the status of hardwired open/close sensor connected to MIMO ?

Hardwired sensors are $6. When I am buying $65 mimo , I can use $6 sensors instead of expensive z-wave sensors and keep the cost low.

Where can i get SmartThings Arduino Shield ?

@MJ Great! So turning the “outlet”/relay on opens the door, correct? Also, does it come with the wires I need to connect it to the opener, or will I need to pick some up? Thanks again for all your help! Can’t wait to install it!

Yes, turning on the outlet under the SmartThings app triggers the MIMOlite. If you have the jumper pulled to temporarily trigger the relay, the app will show the unit as being on and then off again after a few seconds.

There is no wire in the box. You’ll just need a few inches of scrap cable to make it work. It’s low voltage - so no worries.

Here is a pic of my install (hope it shows up):

I’ve been following this discussion and want to ask if this is possible…I’m going to be installing my MIMOlite on Friday…

Does anyone know if you can link the icons in your app for MIMOlite and the SmartSense Multi to where you only have ONE icon for your garage door? In the video “Garage Door 2”, Alex (the CEO, so if he doesn’t do it, then it’s probably not possible) pushes one tile on his app to open and close the door and an icon below that one shows if the door is open or closed. It would be nice if the icon that said “Open” and “Closed” could actually open and close the door…? But for this to be possible, one icon would have to be linked to two devices…

Any thoughts on that?

2) Use a big ZWave outdoor module: http://www.amazon.com/GE-45604-Technology-Outdoor-Lighting/dp/B0013V8K3O to power a relay. I’d have to tell my SmartApp to turn it on then immediately turn it off.
  1. Use this ZWave MIMO device made to control garage doors and other small devices:

Is there any functional advantage of using MIMO vs option 2 ?

@apostlepd - I don’t think the smart apps can be linked together currently. I have two apps for my garage. One for the MIMOlite and the other to see the status of the Multi-sensor.

@coolcatiger - I chose the MIMOlite over the outdoor module with relay, due to ease of use. Cost may have been slightly more ($65 shipped from an Amazon vendor), however, to me it was worth it. I did not have to fool around with something to get it to work.

I also don’t have to send an off command, as the MIMOlite can easily be configured for this option via a jumper.

One can also integrate additional wired sensors into the MIMOlite (haven’t tried this yet).

I also don’t have to send an off command, as the MIMOlite can easily be configured for this option via a jumper.

Can you please explain this ? Is the off command to close the door ?

I think he means it can be programed as a momentary like your garage door button, whereas with another relay you would have to tell it to turn on, then send another command to turn off.

Does MIMO shows on/off switch and open/close sensor separately on zwave hub ?

I think @coolcatiger means does a hardwired open closed sensor that is attached to the MIMOlite show up separately on the SmartThings app or jointly as one device? (I think that’s what he meant because I was wondering the same thing in reference to my earlier question because if they show up together (as one device) then this is the only way to have one icon for your garage door instead of two.)