Official Lutron Caseta Support in SmartThings (Beginning March 2017)

Open the official Alexa app.

Choose “help and feedback.”

Choose “send feedback.”

Thanks for sharing!

Chad

For clarity, we should probably point out that

Lutron Caseta (Connect) is a SmartThings services manager smart app which is used to implement the official integration between Lutron and SmartThings.

Lutron SmartBridge and Lutron SmartBridge Pro are the physical devices that Lutron sells that allow you to connect Caseta and Serena products to the Internet. You need one of these devices to set up the cloud to cloud integration with SmartThings

Lutron Connect Bridge is the physical device that Lutron sells that allows you to connect non-Caseta Lutron devices to the Internet, including the QS series. At the present time there is no integration between this and SmartThings.

Lutron Connect is Lutron’s app for controlling the Lutron Connect bridge.

So “Lutron Caseta (Connect)” Will show up in your list of automations and is a smartapp used to facilitate the integration between smartthings and Lutron Caseta.

“Lutron Connect” is an app from Lutron used to control its Lutron Connect bridge, and doesn’t have anything to do with SmartThings at present. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Regarding the pico remotes not being supported; does this just mean that presses on them can’t be differentiated from presses on the main switch? (so they’ll still register, it’ll just look I pressed the main switch), or does it mean something worse? (like, smartthings won’t even know the device is on if I turn it on from the pico).

Now that makes me feel better because I ditched my Caseta gear last year after holding it for about 2 years hoping that one day ST will support it…

Well, I have to laugh at myself. The clicking sound was my security camera going from day mode to night mode as I turned the lights near it off.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. Pico’s will work just like they always do. If you push a button it will do whatever it is programmed to still. This will then trigger all the same updates in the ST app and the Lutron app. What people mean when they say supported is can they program Pico’s to control other things like ST devices similar to an aeon minimote. The answer to that with this solution is no.

3 Likes

Just chipping in to say that SmartThing and Lutron seem to have done a really good job with this integration. The latency is really good-- sub 1 second with my setup / internet connection. (Similar to the Amazon Alexa <-> Lutron integration which was also well done.)

Pretty excited as, given this integration working well, I’m now comfortable doing a whole house with Caseta devices. I did the math and just fit under the 50 device limit. The 50 Caseta device limit is mildly concerning as I heard in this thread that I can’t do the 2 hub workaround with 1 smartthings account, but I figure I’ll just use non-Lutron stuff if I have to got past 50 switches / dimmers / plugs. (50 sounds like a lot, but the pico remotes in a 3-way switch setup count against your 50.)

2 Likes

So does the hub. It really is a bummer. Integration is really good so far though.

Glad to see people are happy about this but honestly the integration is pretty lacking if you have ever used any other HA system. It’s cloud to cloud first, which isn’t a huge issue for me but my main issue (and reason I just returned my ST) is because there’s no way to control Pico remotes. I currently use HomeSeer with Lutron Caseta and Pico remotes appear as actual devices. So I have them all over my house, controlling Hue lights, Z-Wave lights etc. I have events that say if On is pressed, turn on this device. If Raise is held, brighten this device, if Lower is held, then dim this device, if Favourite is pressed, then run Evening Scene. It’s literally instant, there’s absolutely no delay at all. My shower light is a Hue coloured bulb that’s wired permanent on, with a Pico remote in the wall box instead. I press on/off shower comes on instantly, and then the raise/lower buttons cycle through colours. Favourite starts the Sonos playing. Sucks that they don’t work with ST other than just controlling whatever Caseta light they are paired with which isn’t all that useful.

Hello, I am glad to finally get this new functionality. However, I cannot find ways to make use of the scenes that I have created on the Lutron app. Are Lutron scenes not supported currently? If not, will it be supported in the near future? Thanks.

@JDRoberts: Your mention of the SmartBridge Pro got me curious about the difference in features between the regular SmartBridge and the SmartBridge Pro. Apparently the Pro version also supports two additional types of shades:

1. Sivoia QS Triathlon
  2. Sivoia QS Wireless

According to Lutron’s website, the QS Wireless “…system can be used to control the entire family of Lutron automated window treatments, including roller shades, Venetian blinds, traditional drapery tracks, Kirbé® Vertical Drapery System, tensioned shades, horizontal sheer blinds, pleated shades, fashion honeycomb shades and Roman shades.”

So now to the question: If I used the SmartBridge Pro, would this new integration allow me to operate Lutron shades beyond just the Serena series? i.e. QS Triathalon and QS Wireless?

cc: @Lars

I added a switch during the outage a week ago. The device is present, but the app is now stuck on the discovery page. When I click done I get an error. I really don’t want to have to remove all the switches, the lutron integration, and start again.

33a289c7-c95c-4eef-ab7e-55c75e68ffc6 6:29:44 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘type’ on null object @ line 429
33a289c7-c95c-4eef-ab7e-55c75e68ffc6 6:29:44 PM: debug addDevices() bridgeSerial=null
33a289c7-c95c-4eef-ab7e-55c75e68ffc6 6:29:44 PM: debug initialize()
33a289c7-c95c-4eef-ab7e-55c75e68ffc6 6:29:44 PM: debug updated()

What a pain. I had to delete all the lutron devices and start over. Nice bug.

It’s here!
http://www.casetawireless.com/pages/smartthings.aspx

I haven’t figured out how to connect in SmartThings yet as there’s definitely nothing in the Caseta App. Wonder how the Pico remote will play into this as well.

2 Likes

I was literally just going to ask a question and refer to the link you pasted here, johndong!
I’m a newbie, and we really like the Caseta switches. Do they require the Lutron hub to work with the ST hub? Or can we eliminate the Lutron hub and just go with the ST?
Thanks!

Yeah you will need both hubs, Lutron and STs

Sorry I didn’t see the other thread, otherwise I wouldn’t have created this thread. Do admins do merging here or something?

Just waiting to see if the Serena Shades get integrated at this point. Workaround right I’m using is Lutron -> Logitech Harmony -> Smartthings

1 Like

The admins will merge them, but it can take a day or so. Meanwhile, just post in the other thread, that will keep all the questions and answers together. Plus there are some SmartThings staff posts in the other thread, so you’ll be getting the newest information there. :sunglasses: