ObyThings Apple Radio Support

Any updates on the ability to trigger Apple Radio from ObyThings (either officially or by using the URL of the station into a playlist somehow… I haven’t been able to get it to work with my own)?

I think this would be a great feature as Apple Radio is well supported via iTunes.

You’re talking about the URL from the Share link, right? like https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/new-coat-of-paint-radio/idra.719329023

I can’t test this now, but if you take that link, and past it into the “Play a sound at this URL” field in Obything Notify with Sound, does that work?

I tried doing this earlier, and I get the default ObySounds “you haven’t selected a sound”. It seems to be looking for a mp3 file vs. a streaming URL.

I’ve found Obycode support to be very responsive. Even here, when you mention @obycode

No, I would love to be able to do this, but we can’t do it yet. The rest of the controls are using AppleScript to control iTunes, but Apple hasn’t exposed this functionality via AppleScript. If it becomes available, we’ll make it happen.

@obycode, is there was a way that ObyThing’s Applescript could parse the user-provided URL of the radio stream? I can see how ObyThing can’t see the radio “station” as a thing it can manipulate, but if you have the URL, can you make it play?

No, I don’t think so. But I’ll check into it again. I haven’t looked at this recently, so maybe something has changed.

Cool, thanks. I love your work, and tapping into the commercial free apple radio stations would be a great addition, if they have enabled it (or if you can find a work around).