[OBSOLETE] Smart Alarm Updates

Abbreviation for Device Type Handler.

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I am having the exact same problems.

Hi,

Iā€™d like to use my DLNA player for alarm arming/disarming notifications.
Smart Alarm uses Playtext command for this purpose.
However my DLNA player does not support PlayText , it supports ā€œSpeakā€ command.
If SmartAlarm was available as a groovy code I would make the change and use Speak instead of PlayText.
Now as it is officially released by Smartthings I am not able to find the code. Whatcan I do ?

There is an updated version on this thread first post. https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-lowes-iris-and-xfinity-centralite-keypad-dth-apps/58630/200

1 Like

When Smart Home Monitor (SHM) was introduced over a year ago, it looked like SmartThings have made home security application a centerpiece of their smart home offering. SHM certainly stands out in the mobile app, has a nice user interface and advanced features like security camera integration, event history, etc.

Unfortunately, more than a year later, SHM still misses quite a few things that are essential to any home security system, for example exit and entry delays. From what I read on the Forums, many people are still using Smart Alarm for their security needs. Therefore, Iā€™m considering reviving Smart Alarm and making some improvements in the coming weeks and months.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions how Smart Alarm can be improved.

10 Likes

YES!

I use this daily. I only use Smart Alarm for acceleration though and have it trigger SHM. SHM doesnā€™t account for someone breaking a window. For this reason alone, I keep using Smart Alarm.

I have been using smart alarm for the last month without any issues. All of the sudden I noticed last night that my alerts for doors opening are taking up to 5 minutes to register the alert on my phone. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks Geko!!!

Can Alexa be added in some way for voice arming?

Alexa can change home modes which can trigger Smart Alarm already.

Also, I think itā€™s scary to allow a voice to arm/disarm your house. Any burglar could come in and say ā€œAlexa, disarm the house.ā€

1 Like

This can be done today using Modes:

1. Alexa executes routine.
  2. Routine sets Mode.
  3. Smart Alarm arms or disarms based on Mode.

Thanks Geko.

My Alexa arrives for Christmas and I plan to integrate it with Smartthings right away.

I am currently using a custom version of smart alarm as it syncs its status with SHM. I kinda like how it does this as it gives me a quick and easy way to tell when the alarm is on when I open the ST app. If you can also add that I think it would be great!

1 Like

Just have SHM and Smart Alarm arm when you run a routine and disarm when you run another routine. This functionality already exists in the current version of Smart Alarm

Would love to see some kind of entry delay notification option. Selectable light to flash perhaps. My wifeā€™s phone loses itā€™s mind a few times a week and itā€™s presence does not disable the alarm as expected. So she comes home, lets the dog out, and by then, the siren is blaring and the dog refuses to come back in for hoursā€¦ But if the hall light was flashing when she gets inside, she will know to use the panel or grab her phone and disarm.

1 Like

In the version of Smart Alarm I am using you can have the IRIS keypad beep on exit and entry. I think you can also alert with siren to beep using the Aeon Labs Siren and special device type. You can use CoRE to flash a connected light on entry. I had that working but CoRe was updated and the automation stopped and since my keypad beeps I didnā€™t need the redundancy any longer.

Do you recall if that Is in a specific branch of SmartAlarm? Would love to know which version you are using. I have never seen an option for the IRIS keypad to beep on exit/entry and that would be a perfect solution.

Actually, I think it may be an outdated keypad handler. Digging in to that now, Thanks for sending me in the right direction!

Yes update Smart Alarm!

2 Likes

Here is the thread with everything needed. https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-lowes-iris-and-xfinity-centralite-keypad-dth-apps/58630

So do I. If you revive Smart Alarm, I would certainly implement those three lines of code or soā€¦its been important to my setup.

1 Like