[OBSOLETE] Nest Protect Device Type

Sigh… I wish these companies would play nicely. Why does every company have to put up walls? I love my Nests, but I would give them up for ST. I believe I won’t have to do that, but I would.

1 Like

you may also want to check your thermostats too, i think Nest changed their back end late last night.

I think it’s worth it to make one PSA to the community: Try to choose reasonable polling values for cloud devices. Otherwise we plug them up. I understand that both ST and the other companies have to protect against lag, and therefore rate limits CAN be good, but in the case of cloud to cloud, not so good.

For instance, I setup Pollster this way:

When away or sleep or night, poll thermostats every hour, and Protects every 5 minutes.

When home, thermostats every 20 minutes and Protects every minute.

We need real integrations, or companies that can release api’s with reasonable rate limits/interaction ability.

So polling every other minuet works, but there is a bigger problem. Nest Changed their backend last night Nest, and nest protects are no longer updating.

To me, that’s a much better problem. It’s not politics, not playing nice, it’s an update.

Wish you didn’t have to fix it, but seems like you are the man here. If the community can help, let us know.

1 Like

Looks like the fix is simple, delete the device and readd it.

This could be why Pollster has started crashing on me constantly. I was using it for polling the thermostats and my protects.

Easier said than done! I have 4 Thermostats and 7 Protects! Shoot me. This is why I get frustrated with Smartthings, it’s constant upkeep. (Yes I know these are unsupported devices, but that’s kinda my point too).

It could of been much worse… and required a rewrite of the devicetypes, with would of still required a reinstall of all the devices. Keep in mind this frustration is self inflicted… myself included. Smartthings has never stated that they supported NEST and that have reasons for not officially supporting NEST. Keep in mind this can break again at any time.

I hear you. I wish it was supported, but even then we have seen a lot of technical issues (i.e: Harmony). Well, I just re-setup the 4 thermostats. Now time to do the Protects. I also wish ST had a replace function for all devices, so you don’t need to re-do all of your smartapps. Thanks for your hard work and nice catch! This happened once before and I believe it was a certificate issue.

Are we sure that editing the device won’t fix it? What does delete do that an edit can’t do?

Probably not. At least with the Nest device, updating the device type to the latest code and even removing then re-adding login credentials didn’t fix it for me. I had to create a new device. I’m thinking something to do with the access tokens needing to be reset.

This edit to the devicetype itself fixes the issue, a lot easier than deleting and recreating: Nest Thermostat

(hope that link works, has my handle in it…)

Is it possible to trigger the siren? This would be a nice feature to integrate security.

This would be a great function. I don’t want to buy a separate siren when I already have one in my Nest Protect…

If they’d unlock all the sensors it would actually be an extremely cost effective device rather than just an expensive fire alarm.

There’s motion sensors, temperature sensors, sirens, humidity sensors, microphones… can you imagine how much you’d pay individually for all of those? Can you imagine how much use you’d make of them? Microphones for multi-room Alexa for example…

If they unlocked all of those, suddenly the $99 price point is awesome and they’d sell a load of them, I wouldn’t hesitate myself.

3 Likes

I agree it would be sweet to use all the sensors, but my guess is that they are more geared for local use and not shared use. It is a smoke detector first and has to be certified. Any risk that it won’t go off in a fire is a huge liability.

Very good point and thinking about it, most likely the exact reason why they don’t. A shame but understandable if that’s the case.

They could probably separate the components, with the smoke detector on its own board, and all the Nest sensors on a different. I think they would make a really convenient intercom system.

1 Like

@sidjohn1 Thank you very much. after a day of trying to get this to work I found this thread and subsequently your fork. 5 minuets BINGO!! SUCCESS !!

Nicely done and thank you very much for sharing!

1 Like