[OBSOLETE] Iris Motion Sensor (2nd gen, 3326-L)

Take it to Lowe’s for a replacement, with the Lowe’s receipt of course.

1 Like

I recently picked up a few of these and really like them. The range is quite good compared to other z-wave motions I’ve tried. A few questions please:

1. Is there a way to disable the green light, so that it does not lit up when it detects motion?

2. Is there a way to set a “reset” prior or whatever its called - so that once it detects motion, it won’t report another motion even for X minutes?

3. Are you guys using the default device driver assigned by ST, or is their a 3rd party device driver that has benefits that you are using?

Thanks!

1 Tape
2 No, 30 second timeout. Use CoRE if you need better activity/delay control.
3 Standard smart things motion dht “SmartSense Motion Sensor”

1 Like

Depending upon your Lowes, they might even give you a replacement without the receipt since Iris is their product line. I was able to do this when one of my motion sensors stopped reporting motion.

1 Like

I was able to return today. Since I was outside the 90 day window they initially told me I was out of luck but then a more senior person was called in and they accepted the return. Sadly that broke my 15 off 50 level so I only got 25 back and had to rebuy for 30 but if it fixes the issue its a small price to pay. Fingers crossed.

In the future, not the most honest thing, but return policies rarely are in of themselves, you go buy a new full price one, return the defective one in that box saying it doesn’t work and you just want a refund.

I expect a product to function, for more than 90 days/1 year/etc, if the company has other plans, too bad, I’ll find a workaround. We as consumers rarely hold companies to the high standards they should be held to.

1 Like

I actually tried to go the warranty route but couldn’t find info on it anywhere. They did offer a support number to call but decided to take the drive and give it a try first.

All I’m seeing is this:

http://support.irisbylowes.com/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?deptID=30206&task=knowledge&questionID=468

But can’t find anything about the ACTUAL product warranty. Since it doesn’t explicitly call out 90 days, I’d venture it’s a 1 year, and has to be handled via Lowes since that’s the only place to buy Iris stuff.

Has anyone else had problems with these losing contact with the hub since the V2 firmware upgrade? I had 2 zigbee bulbs going offline on average about once a day since the upgrade and a third frequently but more like every 2-3 days. As of Sunday I had not had any issues with the motion sensors but yesterday I had one go off line. Pulled the battery and it came back to life and connected. Then I replaced a different one (see previous post) and now I have had 4 go offline plus 3 zigbee bulbs (the 3 problem ones), multiple times. 2 won’t reconnect even after power cycling. I also powered down the hub for 30 minutes and it appeared to help for a little while (all online) but it was after that where the 2 fell off and won’t reconnect. Something I did notice is one of the motion sensors was stuck in HUB_OFFLINE for a while. After power cycling the hub that went away. I submitted a support ticket but curious if others have problems.

Well, hasn’t gotten any better. Contacted support and they said they don’t support these and gave me some tips about router interference and suggested I get a Zigbee repeater. That doesn’t make sense in my situation as some times the furthest away ones are fine and the closest one drops off. Going to give it some more time and likely try and find a repeater (anyone suggest a cheap one?) but then may have to bail on Iris motion. Zwave still has been rock solid the whole time. :frowning:

My suggestion is to go with the iris Pocket socket which will repeat both Zigbee and Z-wave. Keep an eye on the DEALS threads and you might see them go on sale every now and then.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-120-Volt-White-Smart-Plug/999925330

Doh, think those were just on sale. May get one anyway since I’m soon at the point where I’ll need to trash all these zigbee devices because there so out of whack.

I have 5 of these version 2 Iris motion sensors. 2 are rock solid, no going offline silently, or false alarms. However the other 3 are becoming notorious for either going offline silently or creating false alarms while I’m away.
The interesting thing is when they do false alarm the activity log shows (example): Detected Motion 8:19:32.323 and then followed by: Motion Stopped 8:19.32.409. The time stamp difference between motion and no motion is clearly unreasonable.
The periodic offline has occurred for 4 plus months (pre 16.00009 hub ubgrade). The intermittent motion sensed for less than a second is post 16.00009 upgrade.

Interested in your thoughts.

I haven’t been experiencing any false triggers. The going offline has continued but been less prevalent, both with these and my Zigbee bulbs. For going offline I have found if I just wait long enough they rejoin. I’ve only had to pull the battery once or twice in the last couple weeks. I have been checking the comments in the 16.9 release thread and seeing discussion of Osram bulbs possibly being a factor in terms of delaying, or some times even failing, to deliver messages. Complete conjecture but maybe you have some of these and the motion/no motion gets queued up and then delivered almost instantly? One tip I read in that thread is to power down any suspect Zigbee repeaters, leave on any good ones, then power cycle the hub after 15 minutes which will cause the Zigbee network to re-map without the problematic ones. My issue is I haven’t gotten any non bulb Zigee repeaters yet so can’t try it. I might try it and power off my Osram bulbs and see if that helps. My Ge Link bulbs were listed as a problem too but the Osrams were installed right around the same time as the firmware release so could be that.

FYI followed a zigbee repair procedure support sent me and it’s gotten much worse. Motion sensors all won’t rejoin now. Here’s what I sent support for reference.

Well, that didn’t work out well. Here’s what I did and what’s happening. I turned off all zigbee devices by either removing the bulb, turning a wired switch to off, or pulling the battery. I removed the batteries and turned the hub off for 15 minutes. I repowered the devices then the hub. I tried all the lights and at best all were slow to respond (some in the minutes) and some didn’t respond at all. I then repeated the procedure and only enabled motion and GE link and same result. I then repeated and only left motion and Osram, which is how it is now. Been about 10 hours and no change. Another thing to note is none of the motion sensors have come back alive. One of them I reset and tried to add back and that didn’t work either. All devices were working prior to these steps with occasional going offline (some, not all). What next? Thanks

Does anybody know how to turn off the LED on this sensor? I have one in my bedroom and it tends to flash 2 or three times a night when I move. I’d prefer it didn’t. I’m wondering if there’s a software preference that will shut it off somewhere.

I need some help with a Iris motion sensor V2. I was acting up and I removed it from smarthings but I cannot connect back anymore.
It won’t show up when I try to add it as new thing.
it looks to me that the sensor still sees the hub and think it is paired because when I put the battery back it blinks couple times green but never shows up on Smartthings hub. Tried to reset the hub and the sensor but no luck, maybe I am resetting the sensor correctly?
In fact it happened before couple months ago with same model sensor and I had to return it since it never connected back.

I was wondering if once paired first time and than removed, the Iris sensor never disconnects and to be fixed it needs to be paired to something else so it can clear the first pairing with ST hub.

It looks like it hasn’t been reset.

Step 1: Remove the battery and wait ten seconds

Step 2: Press and hold the reset button while reinserting the battery. Hold for an additional two seconds and release.
Note: The reset button is a small white button located on the side of the motion sensor.

I’ve literally removed, deleted, and rejoined these devices hundreds of times. You shouldn’t have to remove these devices from ST if they’re acting up, just rejoining them is all you need to do.

Since you’ve deleted the device, and the device still blinks green, you should see “catchall” messages in your hub’s event log. None the less, you need to reset the device. As @celblazer just mentioned, follow those steps. Right before you drop the battery back in, start the inclusion process in the mobile app so that after it resets ST will find it again.

Thank you guys for the input. I am not sure whats is going on, I went close to the Hub, reset it, when it was back online I hit the + sign to look for things, got the battery back in the sensor while holding the small reset button.
I got blue light, blue blinking and than a quick green and thats it. On the app side it kept looking for a new thing and nothing happened. Than I got the message that was taking too long to find a new thing and to try pairing manually.
I believe you when you said you never had trouble re-adding but at least in my case it is been a hassle every time.
With the previous V2 sensor that gave me the same issue, I gave up and returned it,grabbed a new one and it connected right away.