[OBSOLETE] Iris Motion Sensor (2nd gen, 3326-L)

Yup, and that’s exactly what I see when just rejoining the device to the hub, not the first time it joins.

When you rejoin any zigbee device, the “connect new device” process will not return with “found new device”. Once the greeen light shows up, it’s now rejoined to your hub. Just exit our of the connect new device process on the phone app.

Ok I got it thanks, however if the sensor rejoined the hub why I cannot see it in the things? The sensor is not showing there.
I even force stop the android app to see if it would see the supposedly rejoined sensor but still not there. :frowning:

It should, and if it isn’t then there’s more debug work to do. Check the IDE to see if you can find the device under My Devices. I’d also look in the hub’s event log when the device goes active. If you see messages like “catchall”, then it’s not joined correctly. Try the rejoin process again and watch the hub’s event log to see the join process messages.

As of around the latest ST firmware update you cannot add any more of these motion sensors. I already have one on my hub that works great, I went and bought more and when trying to pair them, they pair fine but are all stuck on motion active and that never resets to inactive. I tried 4 different new sensors all have the same behavior. This kind of points to the fact that something changed in the built in device handler for SmartSense and that does not work very well with the Iris sensor. The old Iris sensor that is already paired properly before this whole thing started, continues to work like a charm.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed or reported to ST?

I added one the other day after the firmware update and all is fine. I also added an Iris Contact Sensor and that too is fine.

After that I did have to power down my ST hub for a bit on Sunday. When I fired it back up again all Zigbee devices were very slow to come back online but once they did they have all been okay.

Have you tried the Iris Device Handler? I know it has worked with the ST handler(I use it on all mine so they are local) just asking to see if the correct one works. And are you pairing close to the hub? Sometimes distance does weird things to pairing.

Well, this prompted me to revisit a few things. So maybe others will have this issue and solve it faster than I did.

So I started double checking all my sensors and stuff, this time from the web interface. What I found out was that there was a leftover Iris Sensor in there that my mobile app was not displaying (and yes I did look in the Things list carefully on the mobile app). After removing that leftover sensor from the web interface, reset one of my new sensors, things started working automagically. So I am back in business. Everything seems to work.

Sorry for the false alarm :slight_smile:

I had this same symptom with my 2 nest protects a while back. Not located in the mobile app. I only found it (like you) when something wasn’t working right.

So I know you looked cause I did too.

Still wont connect!
The sensor is not listed on my devices neither on the Android app or via browser.
I am getting the catchall error and other mentoning the Ecobee thermostat.

debug description: catchall: 0104 0402 01 01 0140 00 062F 00 00 0000 01 01 000000295E09

error Failed to get thermostatSetpoint state of device Ecobee Thermostat ‘TC Ecobee3’ ddfef61c-9a0a-4426-9fec-11f2f089b5bd: java.lang.NumberFormatException

And the sensor wont connect.
I was wondering if there is a way to fully reset the hub and if that could fix

Okay, I have a sensor that was eating batteries. Soo as an experiment I just wired to a usb cord to see if it would work.

I had previously been in the system. When I powered it up I got the disco color light thing and it wouldn’t report. Assumed I had cooked it. Did the factory reset and it still would not join.

So I went in the IDE and removed the sensor from my devices assuming it was cooked.

I decided to try one last time powered it up and started the joining process holding button for 2 seconds. The hub found it and joined it back in. It now shows up in my IDE but does not show up in my app. I cleared the app cache, restarted it and still a no show in my things list.

So I went into smart lighting and attempted to make a light trigger off of it, and it shows up as a choice of motion sensors. Go back into smartthings app and sensor is still a no show?

Look into IDE and it is reporting motion events and temperature readings like it supposed to. There is no battery reading, in the IDE it says battery voltage is too high, why yes it is by around 1.5 volts give or take.

Kinda odd?? It doesn’t show on my things list.

I forgot my 2nd question:

Has anyone just wired one of these to a usb power cord before and plugged it into a wall wart?

The iris batteries are 3v and by the sounds of it your giving it 5v via usb. This is definitely not good. Are you doing anything to cut the voltage down?

Nope, but it doesn’t seem to care.

I have been watching it all day. it’s reporting like it should. it hasn’t missed a beat since I got it to rejoin.

It’s not hot to the touch, heck it’s not even warm.

I know the batteries are a lower voltage and to be perfect I could or should have regulated it down. I didn’t just as a test. I can always get a 5v to 3v buck reducer card and put it in the middle.

The batteries are around 3.2v at full charge. All devices have a bit of wiggle room so 5v may indeed work. I don’t know that I’d trust it real long term. I bought a bunch of 50 cent DC to DC converters so I can take the 5v and take it down to 3v.

Yeah that’s my long term plan , just experimental. Did the one you ordered come from Amazon or long distance post (3 weeks) China?

I think they took about 2 weeks. Most stuff I get from there is less than 3.

Just a FYI for anyone interested.

When I powered the Iris sensor with 5v from a usb port. The sensor didn’t seem to care it was functioning and showing activity in the IDE. However it would not show up in my android app. Tech support said it was because the sensor was not joining the hub correctly and to delete and try again. I did several times all with varying results.

I then tried the join with a battery instead of the 5v supplied from the usb. Low and behold it joined correctly and is now visible everywhere.

So during the join process either the sensor or the system did not like the “Your battery voltage is too high” message I was getting in the IDE and the — “blank value” that was under the device in the IDE for battery.

I have ordered the DC to DC power supplies mentioned above. So should be good to go down the road when they arrive.

Just thought I would share what I learned, in case anyone was curious.

1 Like

REVIEW - Thus Far…

I originally started with the Smartthings Motion Sensor as my first intro to Smartthings. I found I had to ‘work’ with these sensors to position them in ‘just the right place’ to achieve the angle results I wished. I also notices that within a few weeks of use, I lost 10% of the batter on one of the units. More on this later.

I read this thread and felt I would purchase a few of the Iris Gen 2 sensors to supplement my existing ST sensors just in case the batteries on one went out. Think NASA and redundancy. I always like backup. What I’ve found thus far is I’m impressed with the Iris sensors performance. The angle pickup is great and the trigger is much faster than the ST sensor. I’m getting times of 1s or less trigger time to turn on a lamp after activation.

My use, at the base of my bed to catch my feet hitting the floor and turning on a nightlight.

I’m pleased with the units and will continue to watch the batter consumption. Now, about the batteries. I have a Rumba, and perhaps this is triggering the sensors into draining their batteries. I’ll monitor this was well.

Peace.

1 Like

I’ve had three of these motion sensors in a long hallway. Recently one of them started giving false alarms, saying there is motion when there is not. The hall way is nearly pitch dark and empty at the time I am certain of it. The battery level says 78%, which is the same as the battery level in the other two which are not having issues.

I’ve used this exact setup for 6+ months and only this issues started just recently with no other changes whatsoever. Any idea what may be wrong with it? Can these motion detectors just go bad sometimes? Or is that extremely rare? Is there a way to reset it or should I replace it or …? Thanks!

I had the exact same issue. I took out the battery and put it back in and SmartThings updated to say the battery was at 22%. Once I put in a new battery it worked perfectly again.