Non-philips hue remote switch options?

Hey guys, anyone using a remote switch like Phillips hue wireless dimmer? I want all the functionality (set scenes, dim, no wires) but something that looks more like my Lutron wall switches. Thanks!

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking, since people use many different kinds of switches with smartthings. If you’re talking about battery operated devices, see the buttons and remotes FAQ. :sunglasses: There are a couple of dozen there. Read the descriptions carefully, as some are battery powered and some are mains powered. These will all have a pretty easy set up and they come in many different forms and features.

If you have any questions about a specific device, please ask in the thread about that device, not in the FAQ itself, which is just supposed to be a listing of one post per device to keep it easy to use.

FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings [Not all devices listed work with the 2020 Platform]

Lutron’s Solution

Again, though, I’m not quite sure what you’re asking. If you want something that looks like your Lutron wall switch then the most obvious is the Lutron Pico. This is a battery operated remote that can be wall-mounted or used as a handheld button controller.

If you just want to set it up as a virtual three-way with a Lutron master switch , then you can use the official SmartThings integration. But if you want to get access to the individual buttons and be able to use it with non-Lutron devices, then you have to add an additional device to act as a bridge and use a community integration. This works very well, it’s just much more complex to set up.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-3-Button-Wireless-Lighting-PJ2-3BRL-WH-L01R/dp/B00KLAXFQ0

1 Like

If you just want scenes, you can do that with the official integration as @JDRoberts mentioned. Otherwise there’s also Hubitat as an option, but that means adding another hub or switching. In either case (node server or Hubitat), you have to have a Caséta Smart Bridge Pro. The standard bridge won’t work because Telnet is disable and that’s what is required to communicate with the Smart Bridge Pro to be able to control anything you want.

With SmartThings you’ll need to also build the Node.js server from a Raspberry Pi or an old computer, but with Hubitat the integration is built-in. Hubitat also has an integration with SmartThings, so you can keep using SmartThings if you want or need to, and then just add the Hubitat hub instead of having to build the Node.js server. Price is pretty comparable when it’s all said and done between a Hubitat Hub and a complete Raspberry Pi 3 with case, SD card and power supply. But with the Node.js server, you just have a Node.js server. That has some valuable advantages since there’s other things you can run too, but it’s not just ready made for you like the Hubitat setup, and Hubitat is a much better Lutron integration. You can do anything you want, plus much more that even Lutron can’t do with a Caséta setup. They also support multiple Lutron Smart Bridge Pros, so you can have as many Caséta devices as you want, instead of the normal limit of 50.

So, you have lots of choices in other words. :grin:

1 Like

Sorry, I thought I was being pretty clear. I want the functionality of the Philips Hue Wireless dimmer remote switch in a sleeker package. Yes, I know I can read details of features, I just wanted some quick input from the community.

Found this and it looks like it should work great. Thanks

https://www.tink.us/runlesswire-click-for-philips-hue#92=30?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=[lowerfunnel]

It will work with a Hue bridge for hue lights. But it’s not clear yet whether it will be visible to smartthings, which is one reason I asked for more details.

It’s being discussed in the following thread:

Wow, $50 a switch. Doesn’t look like the Hue dimmer and cannot do as much. You’d have to invest some time and money in the Caseta setup, but you can then get the Pico remotes for around $9 a piece.

I believe the OP doesn’t want it to look like the Hue dimmer switch, that was the point. They wanted one that would look like a conventional switch.

As for what it can do, I’m not sure I’m understanding. If you use the double rocker setup you are getting four buttons with it, each individually programmable. So It does everything the Hue dimmer does and a little more if you also look at the HomeKit integration. :sunglasses:

If you just use it as two individual rocker switches, then it’s the equivalent of two switches, not one, which makes the price a little easier to swallow.

I also like the color options, which include black and brown.

Admittedly, I’d like it even more if it was $35 or less, but let’s wait and see what happens over the next year or so. There are more and more zigbee devices coming on the market because of the echo plus and show, and some downward price pressure. ( The Illumra switches don’t yet work with the echo devices, but that may come in the future. )

Ah, thanks. I misinterpreted the “like Philips Hue wireless dimmer” comment. Even if it could do four things, that’s too much to pay in my opinion. Maybe that’s MSRP though and street price will be easier to accept.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies guys! Super helpful. The Pico looks like a really cool option.

So I have the Philips Hue White Ambiance Being Flushmount and Strips.

With the Pico solution I can:

• turn on/off (obviously)
  • Dim
  • Use the center button to cycle through color temp presets?

That would be perfect.

@SmartHomePrimer @JDRoberts :point_up:t2: :+1:t2:

Definitely with Hubitat using either the built-in button controller app or ABC. Not sure with SmartThings, as I no longer own a hub to test with. Check with @stephack if ABC can program this on SmartThings too. I believe the answer is yes on both platforms, but I’m not 100% positive.

I never got around to adding color/temp options on smartThings before jumping ship.

Since I no longer suppport this app in ST, @Paul_Sheldon recently created his own branch of the app and has added some color temp options. He can probably chime in on what is possible.

@Iresler13, take a look at this thread
[BETA] Advanced Button Controller (ABC)

2 Likes

I’m using Philips Hue dimmer switches with ABC and have added color temps to ABC which are working.