*** No longer supported *** [RELEASE] FLAIR DEVICES with new capabilities for building physical zones in your home and controlling your mini/window splits, portable heaters/coolers

Hi @danhvos ,

First, you should never post logs in the ST community forum as you’ve exposed some confidential information about your Flair devices (id, home location, etc). Please remove any logs from the forum. If you need to send me some logs, do it via email.

Second, the problem is that you have contributed to the Flair HVAC bundle and you’re trying to select and create a Flair thermostat instance. You’d need to contribute to the Flair devices bundle to create such device(s). You don’t have the DTH code to do it in your namespace. You can only create Puck and HVAC unit devices, not more with your current license.

Regards.

Thanks for the info on my problem and for your advice. I removed the logs from my original post and fixed the problem.

I found the source of my original problem which caused me to try reinstalling the smartapp. Around the time of the Smarthings hub update and iOS app updates, my programming stopped working…Ecobee->SmartThings->Flair. The causes: Flair and Ecobee apps were both logged out of their clouds.

Is there a way to receive notification from your apps when they are no longer talking to their cloud besides reviewing logs? Or is there a SmartThings way to know this?

Hi, in all my zoning smartapps & service managers, you can set the notifications settings (last page) in order to be notified on any level (1-5) of tracing.

Connection issues would be considered errors (level 1) or warnings (level 2).

You’d need to authorize the smartapp to send notifications to you (yes/no) .

Regards

Hot summer nights making it hard to sleep?

Stay cool with our midsummer’s night Smart Vent sale! Get 10% off your order to keep cool during these hot nights

Use code MIDSUMMER at checkout for 10% off all orders.

All orders over $229 ship free!

Sale ends 7/20

SHOP NOW! »

I have a Mitsubishi split unit. Will this Flair Puck is connect to my Smartthings, and can it control that split unit? If it’s IR controlled, I assume it must generally be placed line of sight, which is good because I would place it on a wall opposite the split unit. Also, what kind of power does this Puck need? (I saw something indicating a first unit must be wired?).

Thanks.

Hi @Otis , I’d say yes as Mitsubishi is a major brand, but to be sure, just check with Flair support for your specific model. If you buy a single puck, then it acts as the gateway to the Flair cloud, and, as such, should be wired to a regular power outlet.

Regards.

@Otis I have a Fujitsu mini split connected with a Flair Puck. Initially, they did not have a match to my remote control programmed into their system. I shipped them my remote, they provided a USPS prepaid label, and they programed it into their database and even connected it to my Puck.

If you need to go that route, when they ask you to verify that it is working, make sure that all of the options are set properly after testing each setting. I, initially, found that they left on some energy saving features turned on, which caused problems with my ST programming. Most specifically, they left the “Human Sensor” (aka occupancy sensor) turned ON. To resolve, I had to send the remote back to them, again at their cost. Their tech support is slow, but very responsive, and really wanted to resolve my issues.

I found the following limitations with their system not supporting changes to some features of my mini split. If not set properly, anytime the Flair Puck sends an update to the mini split, these get overridden:

• Horizontal airflow direction, aka horizontal swing
  • Economy (aka energy saving feature)
  • Energy Saving Fan
  • Outdoor Unit Low Noise
  • Powerful (runs fan super High until setpoint is reached, cools quickly)
  • Human Sensor (aka occupancy sensor)

Overall, I am very happy with the Flair Puck and Yves’ My Flair product for controlling it with ST. I also use Yves’ My Ecobee and have the Ecobee’s settings pushed to the mini split automatically. Using these capabilities, I’ve extended the programming to control the mini split based on the temp at the Ecobee, including engaging ceiling fans and mini split features.

1 Like

Thanks guys got this set up and it works great!

Only question: is there a way to turn it on and off? I’d like to turn the unit off when we’re away (this is a vacation house) and turn it on to warm up or cool down before we head up. Right now it just lets me set a zonesetpoint in the ST app. Anything I’m missing here?
Thanks!

Hi, I don’t know which flair bundles you’ve contributed to. I assume here that you’re talking about the MyPuck device and you would like to turn on/off a window/mini split?

If so, you should have contributed to MyFlairHvacUnit bundle at my store for your use cases. The puck device itself has limited capabilities in the flair APIs

Refer to the ST community wiki for more details about the supported commands and capabilities:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Flair_HVac_Unit

Regards.

Ah thank you. Yes that is the devise and use case. I just contributed to the HVAC one as well. Now I guess I need to redo the setup. Thanks!

Hi, you need to install the HVAC Unit DTH and run MyFlairServiceMgr again.

Refer to the Readme at my github.

Regards

1 Like

Thanks again for the great work on this. I was certain I wouldn’t be able to hook my split unit up to ST. This was super easy. Thanks.

Hey there. Will this integration allow me to control the temperature of the Flair Puck from the Smarttings app on my samsung TV? I have a nest thermostat that I can control from the phone app but not the TV app. Is that a limitation of the TV version of the smartthigns app?

Hi, I don’t know, sorry. I don’t see why you`d not be able to do it, but I haven’t tested it as I don’t own a Samsung TV.

1 Like

I’m looking at setting up a Flair vent system to our new HVAC system that’s being installed, it’s going to consist of 9 total vents (8 rooms), and I’ll likely set up 2 pucks (one in our bedroom, and another on our back porch room), plus 2 more in our basement to control 2 Shinco mini-splits. We’re most likely putting in a Google Nest learning thermostat (but not 100% married to it really), and currently have a bunch of Iris IL07 motion/thermometer/humidity sensors around the house. I’m assuming I can use those sensors in rooms that won’t have a settable thermostat since they’re standard Smartthings compatible sensors, and the pucks in the rooms where we DO want some control? I’m fairly new to the Smartthings setup (we use it for all our Samsung appliances, and the lights in most of our home now), I’m really just wanting to verify that I can use sensors other than the Flair ones if I don’t need a settable thermostat. I know I won’t have them controlable in the Flair app proper, but I’m assuming the Smartthings control will get me the end result I’m after…

Hi,

I’d recommend the following packages at my store for your use cases:

1. MyNextBundle which includes MyNextManager & the Nest Tstat DTH and the zoning smartapp called ScheduleTstatZones for controlling your Flair vents using any ST connected temp/motion/pressure sensors (including the Flair Puck ) in conjunction with your Nest Tstat.

For more info about the ScheduleTstatZones’ features & use cases supported, please refer to the ST community wiki:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

1. MyFlairVent Bundle which includes the Flair Vent & Flair Puck DTHs.

Regards.

1 Like

I’d originally decided on the Nest thermostat and Flair vents, but went with an Ecobee Lite and Keen vents. Which would be the best pack/packs to control that setup? I’ll still be using the smartthings temp sensors (IL07’s) in the rooms (not the Keen version), and I did also get a Keen bridge (although I’m not sure if I really need it or not). It looks like (from your website) that I’ll need the My Ecobee bundle that’s at the top only, or do I need the ecobeeSetZone as well?

Hi, My ecobee bundle contains the ecobee DTH (driver) and the zoning smartapp called ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule.

So, it’s the best bundle for your use cases.

Regards

1 Like

@yvesracine any plan on transitioning to Edge drivers for when Smartthings gets rid of Groovy?

See my answer below, flair is also a C2C integation.