Next Developer Call will be on 04/08/2015 - Guest : Jeff Hagins

Once things are stable and dependable 99.9% of the time, this is the thing to look at. What kind of interface will be workable by 80% of the population? What brings the right mix of powerful and easy? Whoever figures out the answers to those questions will be in a good place. :grinning:

Hello @April,

I have another question for Jeff Hagins about the hybrid cloud/hub architecture that will be put in place for Hub V2:

• It was said that all devices except those with cloud-to-cloud integration will run locally in hub V2.

But, what about the Nest or Ecobee thermostats (or any other wi-fi thermostats) that also require local processing to be more responsive and reliable? Any thermostat should be able to run locally as much as possible to avoid unnecessary delays/errors in processing commands.

The way I coded my custom Ecobee device would allow some local processing: I decoupled the
service manager (smartapp) as much as possible from the device type (or device controller). Actually, the child devices (device controller) only use the parent (service manager) to refresh their tokens when they expire once the child devices are instantiated.

So, in theory, the child devices that I coded should be able to run in the hub V2 as much as possible and eventually use the cloud only as a proxy for processing their requests.

That way, the hybrid architecture would be best used and we’ll get better availability, responsiveness, robustness and reliability even for cloud-to-cloud integrated devices.

See my code at github as reference:

https://github.com/yracine/device-type.myecobee/blob/master/ecobee.devicetype.groovy

P.S. That’s why I was asking for non-functional capabilities in some threads such as:

Regards,

1 Like

@JoeC @thejokell

Hi! Yes. We’ve mentioned before that we’ll be working on a UI refresh. What I can tell you is, I’ve seen some stuff floating around, and I personally love the direction of which it’s headed. I’m working on coordinating with the UX team to do a developer’s discussion real soon : crossing my fingers we can at least give you a sneak peak of them. The flow of ui, from what i see, will certainly cater towards the everyday-user.

I will say though, expectation wise, it’s not happening this week or next. Stay tune. If I find out more information, I’ll be sharing it with you all.

Cheers!

1 Like

I appreciate that. If Mr. Hagins is able to talk to that at all I’d still love to hear what the CTO has to say about it.

I’m looking forward to the future of SmartThings for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

we’ll see you there tonight!

If you would like a calendar invite every time we have a developer call, use this form to sign up:

http://goo.gl/forms/v7WNhwQJdX

See you tonight!

THANK YOU ALL for your questions tonight. We still have the rest of your questions that were not answered. with the appropriate teams, they will go through these questions and the next ones you guys have.

Stay tune for the Recording tomorrow.

3 Likes

Hey @April when will this most recent call be posted? Is there an “estimated time” we can expect these regularly?

Thanks!

We are getting better at this: hoping to get them up within a day’s time, moving forward, once i have access to all the mediums.

Part of it was how it gets recorded. Now that we changed urls, i have access to the file. Prior, we were trying to find a way to keep the same number but transfer it to my account.

now one more little hurdle until i can do them seamlessly.

@April Was the link for the playback posted anywhere?

Hub v2 and Stability

1.35- Platform reliability/stability
2:15- Most stability issues experience in 6-9 months - DevConn layer. This allows us to hold all the connection with all the SmartThings hubs.
3:05- Jeff explains how the Devconn layer works
4:20 - Inbound/Outbound : Outbound is where we’ve had some challenges. Vertex supports clustering of servers. One of them will be orphaned from the clusters.
5:29 - We are no longer using Vertex technology, and we’re using a more home-grown solution.
6:30 - 3 architectural changes: 1 was Vertex, 2nd is our Queueing system (not done yet), Scheduler improvements (this has been replaced, but we haven’t moved all customers to it yet.)
8:17 - Jeff talks about scheduler improvement

10:23- Q/A on Reliability/Stability
10:51 - Release cycles - Weekly updates on the platform side. and a monthly update on mobile updates.
13:07 - Jeff is talking about availability - 99.99, long term, 99.999%
16:10 - Best practices about writing SmartApps/Device
18:45- KPI’s on the SLA areas
25:00 - Question regarding transparency on ST changes.
30:24- HubV2 update
31:15 - runs linux OS, 512 mb memory, 1 core 1ghz processor/
31:40 - Jeff explains How Hub v2 processes their engine.
33:56- Device handler and how that works.
36:53 - Back up battery power
37:52 - Visibility and Control for Hub V2
40:01- Hub v2 life cycle : Where it is right now.
41:00 - Questions and Answers of Hub v2
41:43- Post Rollout of hubv2 - Jeff explains what will happen to hub v1.
44:38 - local storage on hubv2/external
47:07- Cloud to Cloud like Ecobee/Nest. Jeff explains how that works.
50:14 - plans and restoring previous states - Migration from hubv1-hubv2. Migration is not available on day 1, but 60 days of launch.
52:03- meta data tag to run locally.
58:09 - Scheduler in V2
1:02- Radio difference in hub v1 and hubv2
1:05- ~1/3 of the total ram with our software, rest is to run SmartApps and Device Types.
1:07 - Log access other than Live.
1:09 Z-Wave network scheduler for hubv2

4 Likes