Newbie with few questions (IR control and misc topics)

Missed those bits. Try this:

And next question is… i found a few sites selling z-wave and zigbee products like switches, plugs etc but are china brands… will it be compatible with smartthings hub? Will they work with smartthings or i could only purchase smartthings approved items?

There are plenty of non-approved products. Best place to look is here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ThingsThatAreSmart_Wiki

Remember. If it’s not officially supported then look at the Wiki above, if that fails then check the Community.

And lastly, is there any device or option whereby i can control and monitor my house gas leaking ? because my dad keeps forgetting to turn of the gas after cooking and this is getting me worried… and a better option would be if i could turn the gas off remotely using the phone app…

Not sure if this will work but the Fibaro Smoke Detector indicates that it would. Have a look here:

The literature at that locations states the following:

You cook, I ensure safety
Fibaro Smoke Sensor is the obligatory guest in your kitchen. Each time you prepare the favourite meals for your family, it makes sure you don’t forget to close the gas or take a roast out of the oven. Incoming threat of fire or … burned meat will be quickly discovered and reported for your convenience, safety, and enjoyable sunday lunch.

Another as detector option here:

If you can detect the gas (which you need to further research on), and your gas valve is a ball valve type then you could use something like the EcoNet valve (Z-Wave) which sits on top of existing pipework and can be used to open close an existing valve.

See this:

1 Like