Newbie please point in the right direction (logging temperature data)

Hi,

I have a SmartThings V2 hub and a number of sensors including multipurpose and waterless ST sensors. I want to extract the records of the temperature and place into a CSV file (or for that matter any other usable format, to produce graphs and records. I have no idea where to start and would appreciate direction and advice on resources to read.

Similarly I would like to get some context on the move away from Grovey to Lua as I do not understand why this is being done. Again resources would be much welcomed.]
best

/RB

Because Samsung decided they didn’t want to continue to pay for hosting the Groovy cloud. The easier path for them might have been to start charging a subscription fee for each hub.

Have a look at this.

1 Like

Probably the best place to start on the move away from Groovy is the community FAQ on edge Drivers. It also includes links to all of the official announcements if you just want to read those.

But the short answer is that the old architecture depended on a cloud that smartthings provided, and that had reliability issues. (It probably also ended up being too expensive for Samsung as the number of smartthings customers grew, but they haven’t said that officially.)

Although the new architecture is still largely cloudbased, a lot more stuff can run locally on your own SmartThings/Aeotec hub if you have one. But because they are making this change with the existing hardware, and those are actually pretty limited devices, they switched from Groovy to Lua because Lua is a more “lightweight” language, and would run more efficiently on the hub itself. Lua is used for a lot of mobile gaming, for example, for just this reason. It’s also been used for years by some of smartthings’ competitors in the home automation space, including Vera.

Anyway, that part specifically was discussed in one of the announcements.

Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

And here’s the community FAQ, which gives both the details of how you use the new architecture and links to the announcements for an overview of what’s going on. :thinking:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

I know it’s a lot to take in: I hope that gives you a place to start.

Meanwhile, I’ll let others discuss the reporting options for your temperature sensors. :sun_with_face: :snowflake:

1 Like

Take a look at Post-Groovy Google Spreadsheet Integration

2 Likes

Another vote to checkout ConstantGraph. You may find it does exactly what you want, but if not you can also export your data to a csv file. Note that there are limitations to how much history is retained and your ability to export raw vs aggregated (averaged) data beyond 30 days, varying by subscription type.

1 Like

Yes I ahve it is really easy to set up, but, ultimatly I want the CSV output so I will need to look at the one suggestion above. Any further suggestions on extracting the data?

If you’re asking about CSV extraction via ConstantGraph, see below. The previous link is the only other option of which I’m currently aware.

A post was split to a new topic: Definite Spam (by misquoting)