Hi all, new to Smarthings and have a few questions.
Our old home we had Vantage Controls automation for the lighting and shades which was integrated with RTI remote controls as well… Our new home currently has nothing and we’ve been searching for a whole new system.
We’ve been looking at Insteon because of the multiple buttons on the Keypads and the laser etching of the scenes on the buttons, but we would have to get an ISY Hub for Insteon to work with other devices like Zwave an such. Plus there is no native app for the ISY, just a couple 3rd party ones and the Android ones are not to hot.
Then we’re looking at the Fibaro Hub and the Wink2… not much info on the Fibaro system which uses all Zwave, the Wink2 I see a lot of people saying that the response time is from 5 seconds to 45 seconds just to turn on a scene.
Now we just came across Smartthings and wanted to know how this Hub is compared to the others?
What I want to do with the system…
- have excellent response time whether I touch a wall keypad, a button on an app, or say Alexa do this.
- have a good Android app that we can customize the pages that we’re looking at. I would like to have a tablet in a room with a page created just for the room. i.e. In the kitchen, the tablets app will show a Kitchen page which will have Kitchen lighting scenes, a view of the outside Gate camera, and Gate open/close button… in the Bedroom have Good Morning/Good night scenes, Alarm on/off scenes.
- I want to be able to create If Thens so that when I hit the apps Alarm On button, it will turn on motion sensors and such, then if it see motion, turn on the lights, sound a couple of sirens, notify me on my phone.
- Have great Alexa control. In place of the engraved switches, we’re thinking about getting the Zwave+ Leviton dimmers which are just rocker switches… but instead of using them just tell Alexa turn on the lights (when were standing in the kitchen) and just the Kitchen lights turn on… in the bedroom, Alexa turn off the lights, will just turn off the lights in this particular bedroom. Alexa, run Away sceen which will turn off all the lights, adjust the thermostat, turn On the alarm.
- App have Geofencing, so that when we’re leaving and about 1/4mile away from the home, the Arm Away scene auto activates… when coming home, past the 1/4 mile gps mark the Im Home sceen activates which opens the gate, turns on lights and turns off the alarm.
- The Hub needs to work locally when there is No Internet… obviously Alexa is Cloud based so that will not work, but everything else (wall dimmers and such) should continue to function.
Sorry this is so long but it’s been difficult to find a HUB that will do all of these and do it well. The good hubs i’ve found and poor Apps, or have a good app but poor Alexa performance.
Thanks all for the help!