We own a vacation rental and I had been using the KABA door lock system. It was not user friendly and was very expensive so I just purchased the Schlage Connect and added the Smart Things hub. I didn’t realize I needed something additional to be able to create codes for guests. What app or system do I need to get?
First steps with SmartThings: setting up Yale YRD256 smart lock
You have three SmartApp choices:
and SmartThings Smart Locks
Thank you! I got the one through Smart Things and it’s very easy! If I get the other one you mentioned (the free one) can I set up codes that are date and user specific? Like make a code for a guest who will be in my home from “start date and time” to “end date and time”?
If you’re going to use it for a vacation rental you may want to consider RBoy Apps simply for it’s reliability and flexibility. These are the features of the latest release:
Lock Code User Management is the most reliable and comprehensive commercial grade User Code Management SmartApp with many (unique) features:
- Works with the built in SmartThings device handler (Z-Wave and ZigBee)
- Sure-Programming engine: verifies that programming was successful
- Unlimited users and locks
- Easy and intuitive setup
- Different types of users such as:
- one time
- expiration (start/end date/time)
- scheduled (daily/weekly etc) with multiple schedules per user
- presence based
- mode based and many more
- Support for different types of locks (keypad, bluetooth, RFID, etc)
Define custom individual Unlock and Lock actions for users such as:
- Exit delay actions (wait for X minutes before running actions)
- Separate actions for Keypad and Manual locking/unlocking and per door actions
- Turning on lights if it’s dark outside
- Unlocking/locking secondary locks
- Opening/closing garage doors
- Notifications on type of lock/unlock (manual, code, keypad, bluetooth, rfid etc)
- Running routines
- Changing modes
- Arming/Disarming SHM
- Turning on/off switches
- Define rules when to run and not run actions
Define Door Open/Close actions such as
- Automatically relocking the door when it’s closed
- Automatically unlocking the deadbolt if it’s extended, while door is open
- Ringing chimes when door is opened
- Notifications if door is left open
- Define actions for each door separately
- Lots of built in safety mechanisms to ensure users have a reliable experience
- Compatibility with SmartLocks
- and lots more…
Ok I feel really stupid asking this but where / how do I get the RBoy app? That sounds like exactly what I need.
Read the following thread and you will find the link to his website
Thank you! Ok I got purchased the RBoy app and have it all installed. A couple more questions.
What sensors can I add to notify me if the door is left open and other features that require a sensor?
I have a Rheem AC system with an EcoNet Thermostat. Does anyone know if there is a way to control it through the RBoy app? That would be awesome! I had a NEST prior to getting this new AC system last year and didn’t know until after it was installed that it wasn’t compatible with the NEST.
You can use any door / window sensor that integrates with ST. Monoprice is having a promotion for RBoy Apps this week to get 15% off their products. Check out this post
The other thing you can try is the Enhanced Z Wave Lock device handler which would bring out additional features of your Schlage lock.
As for your EcoNet Rheem try this, once it’s integrated you should be able to use your device with any of the RBoy Apps thermostat / temperature management SmartApps.
I’m having trouble with the RBoy app. When I go in to configure users it’s not saving it. What am I doing wrong?
If SmartApps suddenly start giving trouble it’s usually a platform issue, typically things like unable to save or load. Give it some time and things will settle down, peak user times the platform tends to slow down/timeout and throw errors. Others are also reporting issues today out of the blue after days of running smoothly.
If you don’t want to wait, try to uninstall and reinstall the app. It just depends on which cloud server your app is running and if that server is having trouble. When you uninstall and reinstall sometimes it runs on a different server and the problems fix themselves.
I missed the Monoprice sale you had posted, do you know of any other discount codes?
Subscribe to our facebook page, we also post them there or you can ask around the community pages, folks are very helpful
i just installed the SmartThings classic app on android phone. then followed instructions for SmartThings Smart Locks. works great! thanks.