New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

Yes, and - we shouldn’t have to…

1 Like

That’s exactly what I did, and I have no duplicate devices. Take good notes on what Alexa groups you have because those get wiped when the devices get deleted. I’m rebuilding those now.

Also take note on your existing Scenes. Some of mine did not get discovered with the new skill. Like I mentioned above, probably due to my locks or other security devices. I’m in process of creating virtual switches to turn on/off that will be used in Automations to trigger a Scene. I’m using the Virtual Device Creator smartapp to create the device, get Alexa to discover it, then drop it into a Room, and then build the automation. So far this workaround works, but a heck of a stupid way of duplicating a much more elegant process with the old skill.

3 Likes

I “upgraded” to the new Alexa skill (and the new Google integration) after the announcement yesterday.

I was prepared for the inability to select which devices were exposed, and while it sucks, it’s at least manageable. I did prepare by removing the old skill first to minimize duplicate devices. Still took a long time to disable each of the devices I didn’t want connected, one by one.

What I was not prepared for, and what is a much larger issue for me, is that my virtual ST devices no longer trigger Alexa routines. I can see I’m not alone in this, and that ST engineering is looking into it. Forcing users to “upgrade” to a new skill with drastically less practical functionality is a pretty crappy move IMO.

4 Likes

Now that it has been announced that the old skill “Smartthings Classic” will disappear, someone from the ST team could please indicate which is the correct official procedure (step by step) to migrate to the new skill, and thus avoid users who still They have the old skill all the inconveniences with repeated devices and failures in the routines that several of us have had.

1 Like

I just deleted all of my devices and disconnected my old Alexa skill started from scratch and enabled the new skill and everything went just fine. Thank you.

3 Likes

First post here

1 Like

Just one more question…does ANYONE have the virtual alexa button working in connection with the new app, if so maybe explain what you did different.

I know the “staff” is working on this, but that function is critical to my, (and I’m sure many others), day to day use.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, but the procedure did not work for a friend who did the migration. The same problem of routines not triggered with virtual and physical sensors is repeated.

1 Like

If you don’t want all of your devices exposed to Alexa, cant you just go into the Alexa app and delete the device from the Alexa app after you add everything from Smartthings?

1 Like

I don’t have any virtual buttons, sorry.

I haven’t tried that yet, but I suspect it will show up again the next time you run discovery.

2 Likes

Or the next time anyone in your house runs discovery. :scream:

2 Likes

Nope… the devices will keep being discovered by alexa… you can disable them and/or rename them. But that still sometimes confuses Alexa and she will think you have multiple thermostats and keep telling you to re-enable them.

I think you may need to be more precise about ‘the virtual alexa button’. I guess you may be talking about the bjpierron Simulated Alexa Button, but is there only one version of it in circulation?

The latest bjpierron handler I’ve seen never closes the contact. It just sends an open event with the ‘isStateChange’ flag set to true. ‘New’ apps have their own filter they can apply to subscriptions to detect state changes. Are the two methods compatible? I can’t remember. Are there versions of the handler that do things differently? Does one work and not another?

I have my own momentary switch/contact. If I let it open and close a contact in quick succession I can’t trigger an Alexa routine with it. If I give it a second between open and close it works. Clearly the details matter in some way. Also I literally created the routine to test it (I don’t really use Alexa from one day to the next). Could that in itself be a factor?

Hear, hear. This x1000

2 Likes

And crickets. They won’t even comment on this.

I’ve been with ST since the Kickstarter days and have despite many ups and downs over the years have never been so incensed and close to jumping ship. There is no reason this needs to be so hard.

4 Likes

Exactly, it’s utterly infuriating constantly seeing the ‘ability to select devices’ point being always ignored in this thread…

@Lars @blake.arnold please, for the love of God, just listen to the community on this one and pull the plug on the forced migration date until you reinstate this most basic ability.

So many are now (reluctantly) looking at other platforms because of this type of unnecessary sh*tstorm that just makes ST more of a chore, than a joy anymore.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Yes, I was indeed talking about the bjpierron Alexa virtual button that JD documented…I believe he referred to it as a “triple device”.

I am sure that there are work arounds, but we were led to believe that those virtual devices that were working in Classic would continue to do so. For me that all changed with the email I got yesterday indicating that we needed to move to the new version of the Alexa skill, which I did.

I’m truly not looking to re-invent something, and then have it to fail subsequently. SmartThingS had been relatively stable for my configuration for several years and I’m looking for stability. Yes, I do expect change, but the “banner” appeared on my account and for me that meant we’ve looked at what you have and you’re ready to go…NOT!

TG

3 Likes

Lars it won’t let me send you a PM. Is there any tips to address the issue? Thanks

I messaged you, hopefully you can respond.