New smart app to link the virtual/simulated garage door device with two actual devices

(Larry) #97

the check status timeout has nothing to do with how long.. it can goto open or close intermediately depending on what kind of sensor you have.. .. the check status is how long to wait before checking if it failed to open or close.. (ie the door got stuck and reversed or something crossed the beam etc. 1 second is not correct. no door closes or opens in 1 sec.. this would attempt to resync after this timeout if the actual door sensor fails to show the correct state...
the runin timeout should be at least how long it actually takes to open or close the door.. plus some time if it actually reverses.

(Joshua Rountree) #98

Okay... I guess I'm saying I followed along and changed the 6 to a 1 in the code.
In my settings of the SmartApp I configured it at 25 seconds as it was the default.

I'm using a door contact sensor. Not a tilt sensor.

I'd imagine if the door is closing it should say closing until the contact sensor returns "closed" and if it never returns "closed" after the timeout then I would say it should report the door as open still?

That's just my thought process, I'm not claiming your code does that... maybe I'm missing something.

(Larry) #99

yes with a door sensor it should show open immediately but should say closing for awhile and then eventually say closed..im not sure it works that way.. i believe it will say closed and if after 25 secs. the real sensor still says open it should resync and say open..
try it.. hit the close see what happens and cross the beam so it goes back up.

(Joshua Rountree) #100

Alright, great! Just making sure I wasn't crazy. Haha.
Wondering if there is a way to make it say Closing and hold at closing until the contact reports closed? Not like it really matters, as long as it resyncs back to open that is all that matters to me. :smile:

(Larry) #101

the problem is the virtual garage device type would have to do that.. not the smart app.. and one device type cannot access another device type ie say to check the status of the contact.. otherwise you would not need this smartapp at all. When i get a chance i will look at it more to see if i can figure something out. i could continually poll but i am superficially avoiding that.. once the app gets the notification that the door state changes it updates immediately.

(Joshua Rountree) #102

Yes, I agree it's sufficient the way it is. Thanks again for your help! :smile:

Roll Up Garage Door LFM-20 Hack with SmartThings
(Joshua Rountree) #103

Also, I made this to demonstrate it's usage and how it appears in the app.
Kind of neat to see side-by-side.

Thanks!

Roll Up Garage Door LFM-20 Hack with SmartThings
(Leo Umanskiy) #104

great app and thanks everyone for posting and supporting each other

Can someone post complete steps for this app (including how to setup virtual devices) for ST Hub2?.

I have the Garage Relay (LFM-20 relay) and Ecolink Z-Wave Wireless Tilt Sensor - ECO-TILT-US but through trial and error still can't get to work getting litany of errors.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

App that will turn off switch after a short period?

Larry, I just installed this and is working perfectly :slight_smile: Thanks for the link from my roll up door thread.

You might save a few questions if you link to a few tutorials (like the virtual device FAQ: https://community.smartthings.com/t/faq-creating-a-virtual-device/11282 ) and also perhaps the runin code tweak...assuming your user is a complete newbee. I am a relative newcomer, but have been through the custom device and smart app route a few times getting my 50 odd devices online.

Again, thanks so much for the app. It completely adds the intelligence I was looking for to the setup :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Dennis

You the man. I changed my relay device type to Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch and now my Virtual Garage Door works. However there is a pretty good delay between pressing the button and the actual Garage Door opening. I'm guessing that is the 6 seconds delay you are talking about. Where in the code can I modify that so that it opens and closes faster?

(Larry) #107

The 6 sec delay is in the virtual device type. read my post 20 in this thread for instructions

(Stephen) #108

I just stumbled on this and I have to say that it works great! This is exactly what I have been looing for. I hooked up a Linear FS20Z relay to old as dirt garage door opener and am using an Ecolink tilt sensor on the door. With the Linear relay set as a momentary contact switch the whole thing worked OK, but it in no way looked like a garage door.

Using this app, I now have something in SmartThings that looks and works like a garage door - like it should. I do not know why this is not more prominent in the forums than it is.

Just wanted to thank you for writing this.

There is one thing that I would like to see added - the ability to turn notifications on/off within the app and not have to go back into the IDE and publish again. Just a thought.

(Stephen) #109

Nevermind... I found it. It's been a long day...

(Richard Herbert) #110

I found it after a bit of digging, after seeing the same problem. Create a new device handler type, from the template of 'garage door simulator'. change the name in the definition line 17. change the runin times from 6 to 1 on lines 56 and 61.
save it and publish.
then create a new device for your virtual garage door, using the device handler type you just created.
follow the rest of the instructions for setting up in the app.

(Joshua Rountree) #111

Recently having a terrible time with syncing issues.
It always gets confused and now one is stuck in "opening" state.

Any ideas how to improve its reliability?

I'm using contact sensor.

(David Forsthoffer) #112

Just found this - works great. And the fix for ALexa is awesome....Now to install the dot in my wife's car(With wifi) - and she can just ask "open garage door #1"...Better than telling it to turn a relay on...thanks

(Joshua Rountree) #113

Wondering if there should be something in the smartapp code statements for "opening" or "closing" states. Since you have if statements for "open" and "close" but sometimes it seems it gets stuck in the "opening" state or "closing" state occasionally. Need a failsafe I think to have it go back and check to see if the state is stuck in opening / closing maybe?

I'm an experienced programmer but have little experience working with this system but I might be able to help out.

Also, trying to think if there is a way we can put a manual refresh button on the Virtual Device if it gets jammed up.
No matter what happens, if I manually toggle the garage from the physical switch on the wall a couple of times it stays stuck in "opening".

Guessing I'll have to delete everything and re-add it if it doesn't go away.

Combining physical devices into one virtual device
Combining physical devices into one virtual device
Mimolite and tilt sensor for garage door opener
(Larry) #114

this is usually due to issues with the devices you have installed not working correctly, or the smartthings back end dropping messages... check that the contact sensor is reporting reliably.

Hi, thank you for this great app. I got it working on my smartphone and would like to integrate it into Alexa. However, Alexa doesn't understand when I said "Open/Close Garage Door", however, saying "Turn on/off garage door" would open/close the actual garage door. It's usable but sounds really awkward. Is there a way to make Alexa understand "Open/Close"?

(Larry) #116

th

try having alexa use the virtual garage device which has both open/close and on/off instead of the actual switch.. it then should understand open.

I name the switch cindy garage door opener
and the virtual garage door "cindy garage door" this is the only one i have in the garage room
the other is just floating around..

make sure the virtual device ie :cindy garage door" is the only one you authorize in the amazon echo smartthings smart app.