New Presence Sensors?

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently been looking to get a Smartthings Presence Sensor, as my wife’s phone keeps having issues with location updates.

Most of the usual places to buy one seem out of stock, and even Amazon says 1-2 months dispatch. Is there a UK shortage, or are does anyone think Samsung may be getting ready to release a new version of the sensor?

I know I can order direct from Samsung, but I’d rather not, if an updated sensor is soon to be released.

Cheers!

Can I suggest Life360?

I’ve stopped using fobs it works so much better. Hiccup very rarely.

I did consider trying that - I haven’t yet though.

My (better) half uses FB, Messenger, Instagram and various other memory-heavy apps on her S6, and with Smartthings sitting quietly in the background, I wonder if the phone optimises it to death to free up memory. I can’t add it to an exclusion list. I wonder whether Life360 would suffer the same fate?

I appreciate the quick response :slight_smile:

Life360 is widely reported to be more stable than ST’s native presence detection, and it has been that way consistently for years. Of course, there are still problems as using a phone’s geolocation for presence is not a foolproof method, but I can almost guarantee you’ll get better results.

I started by using the ST presence detectors (1st gen units), but I had two units DOA and two others with broken battery compartments. Even when they were “working,” there were some unfortunate limitations with using z-wave presence sensors, including range, mesh stability, and battery life. Perhaps later units will address my physical complaints, but I doubt they can overcome the limitations of the z-wave protocol.

Since Life360 is free, I would strongly suggest trying that out. If it doesn’t work for you after a few months, you can give whatever the current generation of ST presence sensors is a try.

With two recommendations for Life360, I’ll crack on and get that installed. Thank you :smiley:

I put Life360 onto the phone a few days ago. It worked well at first, but now refuses to update location in Smartthings.

Last resort is to factory-reset the phone, but I’m convinced that it’s the Samsung OS (Galaxy S6) force-killing tasks in the background. Both Life360 and Smartthings are excluded from any battery optimisation processes, so the only thing I can think of is memory optimisation.

I can’t find any way of stopping Android from killing certain background processes. I know I can change the number of permitted running processes in the Dev options for the phone, but the “Default” selection is higher than the other choices already.

Every so often like once every 3-6 months I have to rest the app. Essentially open it and close it.

Try that once at least before you go nuts.

I had two delivered today by Amazon that I ordered yesterday.