New Harmony Smart Home Skill is Live [Alexa]

No longer need to ask Alexa to tell Harmony to increase the volume. New Harmony skill removes the invocation phrase to give Alexa direct control over your Harmony hub (still just one hub, though).

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/13/logitechs-harmony-alexa-skill-now-simplifies-home-theater-voice-control/

If you need a list of utterances available, see this…

7 Likes

I hate that it’s only one hub, but I am trying it on my living room hub (my other two don’t get used as often, so it’s not that big of a deal for me).

What would be really cool is eventually they have it where you can say “Alexa, turn up the volume on the living room TV” or something like that.

1 Like

No, no. What would be really cool is if you could assign the Echo and your TV (and other devices) to rooms/groups, so you can say “Alexa, turn up the volume” and if you’re in the living room, it will know to operate that TV; but you could have the same setup in multiple rooms, plus allow name specifics for cross-room operation. Then you wouldn’t need location specific names within Alexa at least. It could just be lights, lamps, recessed lights, TV, etc… and you could specify by denoting the location before or after for cross-room operation.

5 Likes

Well if you can say IN the living room instead of ON, then EchoSistant can do exactly that for your other two hubs…

“Alexa turn up the volume IN the living room…”

1 Like

EchoSistant can operate individual devices connected to the Harmony hub???

Which Harmony Skill in the Alexa app is this? The Blue colored one or the red colored one. What is the difference between the two? Asking because it’s been so long since I set it up I forgot. Thanks.

The blue…

At least they didn’t add a THIRD skill. It’s bad enough they have 2 already.

2 Likes

THIS… 1,000,000 times THIS.

However, considering that we don’t even have truly connected Echos yet, I have a feeling this will happen at least a year or two from now. Hell, I’m still waiting for multi-room audio. When that day comes, my Google Homes and Chromecast audios are getting packed into boxes and stored in the attic. LOL

The red one uses the Harmony invocation

The new skill replaces the other two, unless you like to tell Alexa to tell Harmony to tell the TV to change the channel

I only ever use 1 input on my TV :slight_smile:

I think you mean the Blue replaces the need for the red. There doesn’t seem to be a new skill, just an updated Blue skill. They should just remove the red to remove the confusion.

Sorry, you are correct. I am still on the dev app … so I have 3 :slight_smile: (in my mind)

It may not be that far off. The new “drop in” feature for Echo to Echo calling allows you to specify an Echo device by name, which is the first step needed to allow Echos to be assignable/addressable. I really think the multi-room audio thing is being held up by streaming license deals for the basic Prime Music because it will not let me stream on two different Echos at the same time.

2 Likes

You can stream to multiple Echos if you have the family plan (up to 6 devices on the same account). I got it (at $14.99/month) because we are always streaming music on our various Echos at the same time.

1 Like

Didn’t know this. Also didn’t know that you could not stream on multiple devices at the same time.

Depends which tier you’re paying for.

To be honest, I’m not happy to have to pay to stream on multiple devices, but considering that Google also has the same setup, I understand it. Still stupid, but it is what it is.

See first post for list of utterances available :slight_smile:

1 Like