Neutral Wire required!

Enerwave ZWN-RSM2-PLUS Z-Wave Plus Dual Relay Switch Module (neutral wire required) and probably many others with the same system.

YES, these can be used in many European and other countries!!!
Not that complicated but different names and colors can be misleading.

I ordered one of these to Norway and was totally put on the wrong leg with the ‘necessity of a neutral wire’.
Checking out on the internet and on this forum did not come up with any actual solutions, but only made it more confusing.
I started searching about the possibility to connect it to ground, but quickly learned that this can be extremely dangerous.

After doing some thinking however the solution was not that difficult.

We commonly have 3 wires coming into the switch box. Either bundled in a cable like here or in the US, or as seperate wires, like amongs others in the Netherlands (where I’m from)
The colors are nowadays normalized:
Brown, Blue and Yellow/green.

The yellow/green one is earth/ground and is either not connected at all (lamps) or connected to the frame of the appliance.
Connecting the brown and the blue one will not make a difference since we are on AC (alternating current). Me myself have the relay powered by a prolonger with a EU plug (which can be rotated 180) so I don’t even know which one is what.
Normally of course it’s best to stick to the color codes.

Meaning the ‘HOT’ wire (US) should be connected to the brown one (L)
and the ‘NEUTRAL’ wire to blue (N)
The ‘LOAD’ wire is the one powering the appliance and,
the AUX is the one triggering the relay to switch.

Blue: Neutral (N)
Brown: Live (L)
Yellow/green: Earth/ground

Blå: Nøytral / Null (N)
Brun: Last / Fase (L)
Sort: Fase etter bryter/brudd
Gul/grønn: Jord

bruin: Fasedraad (L)
blauw: nuldraad (N)
geel/groen: aardedraad

Safety codes in the US generally do not mandate which colors are used for which wires.

Safety codes in the EU do mandate wire colors, but these colors have changed over time, so it can be somewhat confusing.

Also, there are both two wire and three wire systems. So it’s not quite as simple as what you have described.

The following article at Vesternet does a good job of explaining the different wiring systems for Europe.

Doesn’t the Netherlands use CEPT frequencies instead of the US for ZWave? Meaning even if it gets wired up, a US switch or relay is not going to work in a Euro system.

And if you’re using a US hub in Norway then you have bigger problems.

1 Like

It does, but in this case the model that the OP mentions is also available on the EU zwave frequency. However, the manual that is available online is for the US version. So that may be what led to the initial confusion. Enerwave is a budget brand, and they don’t always put a lot of money into their support materials.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/713

1 Like

I don’t know about what frequencies Holland is using nowadays. Am living here in Norway now for 15 years and am not totally updated.

I bought a US hub because of poor availability and the insane prices here.

Don’t worry about regions, getting the hub up was no problem, just contacted US support and they set it up from over there. The whole system is already running for over a year now, without any problems.
The only thing for me is that I have to buy my sensors etc. from the US because of the frequency, which is actually more of an advantage because of the lower prices.:yum:

All this brings me to the next point. (am still researching possibilities)

I bought this relay to be able to trigger my garage door opener. However this relay doesn’t seem to be the sort of relay I’m looking for.
I probably need one that just switches a wire instead of powering that wire. So I’m actually talking about a z-wave or zigbee relay with 2 seperate circuits. One (230V) that powers the coil and the transmitter and one that simply functions as a open/close switch if I’m right.

Can anybody advise me on which relay to buy? And of course device handler etc. since I’m new to the whole programming thing.

Hi Ronny,

First question: you have a US smartthings hub, is the switch also the US version (Z-Wave frequency)?

It is written on the box. If that doesn’t match, the switch will not pair with the hub.

20191013_142009

You supply power by a power cord and you don’t know what is Live and what is Neutral. You can test that with a voltage test screwdriver, one suitable for 220v. With your finger touching the rear of the screwdriver, the neon light inside illuminates when the screwdriver touched the live wire.

Connect the power cord to some special terminals, for example from Wago. You can open and close them to add and remove wires. One terminal for the brown wire (live), one for the blue (neutral) and one for the green/yellow (ground / protected earth). Inside the terminal there is a bar that connect the 5.

wago

Can you give more details about the garage door opener (system)?

Grtn Ben

Good luck with that. I understand why you did that but long term it’s not really a good idea. US ZWave frequency is overlapping with the frequencies reserved for emergency services in Europe.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help :+1:

Nathan:

Not such a big problem here, lots of space, no neighbours.
I need a long range rifle to protect the borders of our property :grin:

Ben:
All the sensors etc. I have are 908.42 Mhz, as is the Hub v2.
The door opener is a Toplift, which uses a 5v DC wire with a momentary push button to actuate the door to open/close. So what I need is a z-wave relay paralel to that switch to do the same with ST .

The relay that I have sends the same voltage as which operates the coil to the device by the ‘load’ wire. In my case thus 230V

As I wrote:

Sounds like a job for the Fibaro 212.

It is not about distance. It is about legal use of frequencies dedicated for different purposes. There is a good reason for the EU frequency of the Zwave protocol.

You might think, you are alright with the use of it, but meanwhile you are jamming other devices.

In my place somebody is jamming the 900Mhz which is dedicated for mobile networks. The result is so damaging. Mobile phonecalls disconnected and the LTE internet stops working.

The availability is poor excuse for this. Amazon.co.uk sells all of the products and they send it abroad too. Vesternet sends abroad too as I can remember.

I picked my starter set up in a Maplin when visited the UK.

You have a point here.
This one (according to the diagram) has the possibility to switch a seperate wire:)

I have been looking at this possibility before in the US (because of frequency), but couldn’t find it available anywhere.
However checking the pdf data-sheet it seems to be multi frequency.
Best of all it’s also available here in Norway :star_struck::+1::boom:
So, I’m gonna order one…, check it out… and if it works…

Thank you all so far for all the useful information.
I will keep you updated

It’s not multifrequency. It’s available on either frequency, which is different. Each individual physical device is set to a single frequency and cannot be changed after time of manufacture.

Thank you for your reply.

That’s kind of strange then :thinking: In the data sheet it doesn’t mention anything about availability, it just comes with a summary of countries and their frequencies.

Anyway, I ended up ordering it and will have to see.
If it’s not compatible I’ll just return it (happy I ordered in Norway)

Yes,… :boom: :sunglasses: :star_struck:
It paired and it shows up in the ST app. That means that these actually ARE multi-frequency.

Now I’m hoping somebody can help me out with the device-handler :grin:.

I found this handler by Nimrooz for the FGS-212:

nimrooz/ Fibaro-FSB-212-Relay-DeviceHandler

I copied all the text into ST ide as a new DH.
As I mentioned, it does show up in the app, but I cannot change the state.
Also, I need to use it as a momentary switch to actuate the garage door motor, so after activating it, the relay should switch off after 1 sec (which is supposed to be set by parameter 4 (fibaro manual link)

Could anybody be so kind to look into this? I’m a total newbie where it comes to coding.

No, it doesn’t. (And I checked the FCC certification testing results to be sure.)

It means the specific model that you got is on the same frequency as your hub. but I’m glad it connected for you. :sunglasses:

Thank you JD for your input. I am however not convinced.
I will see if I can post some screenshots.

Thank you JD for your input. I am however not convinced.

My hub is a ‘Hub v2 US’ … ‘region: US’ (both copied from the IDE)

The relay is FGS212 EU v2.2
Fibaro%20fgs212
FGS212%20pdf

Would the relay pair with the hub if it would be on a different z-wave frequency?

Thank you once more Alwas.

I bought it, got it paired, but I cannot get it to switch state.
I spent some hours wrestling with different Device Handlers.
Everything gets recognized, shows up in the IDE, shows up in the app, but unfortunately.
Since you came up with this relay, maybe you have some experience with it?

It’s probably got something to do with using an EU version module, with a US Hub, not sure how you managed to add it to the app, maybe you got lucky, but you can’t mix and match Z-Wave frequencies, if I was you I’d get an EU ST hub. It will save you a lot of pain in the long run.