Nest: use NST manager or Lutron Caseta?

I am new around these parts. However, I have a question about the preferred way to integrate a Nest thermostat.

I got it up and running with the NST Manager. However, I also have the Smartthings integrated with the Lutron Caseta for my lights (could not get ZWave to work no matter what I tried, perhaps we just have too much interference with ZWave in our area). I see that Lutron Caseta officially works with Nest. Would it be better to connect Smartthings to Nest via the Lutron? Would that allow Smartthings to adjust the Nest?

Second question: does installing the NST manager create any security issues. I really did not follow all of the things I was doing with Github when following the NST Manager instructions. I want to make sure i am not opening some dangerous backdoor into my house.

(Btw, I am coming from Vera and, so far, really happy. Only took 2 hours to get Smartthings, Lutron, Amazon Echo, Sonos, Alarm system, Nest all integrated.)

Thanks!

The lutron integration doesn’t expose anything besides dimmers, switches and blinds.

Thanks. I was actually asking about the NST Manager integration (since I had to go into Github, which I do not fully understand).

As long as you don’t allow someone to login to your Samsung/SmartThings account and you dont share the clientID and clientSecret (product id / secret) from the Nest Developer account you created, I wouldn’t worry about security or anyone controlling your Nest Devices from SmartThings.

As for Github and copying code into your IDE (web), this is public code and when you save / publish that code is accessible to your account and then the additional parameters (clientID and clientSecret) make this instance completely unique and only accessible from your account.

The Nest Developer Account / NST Manager link can be found in your Nest Mobile app. If you goto Works with Nest, you will see the Nest Developer product that you created with the name you gave it and all the permissions you defined. This was created when you went through the Authorization process when installing NST Manager.

If you have any other NST Manager related questions, post them in the official thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

You also asked if you could connect to Nest through Lutron.

Right. That was actually my main question: what is better NST Manager or via Lutron (if it is even possible to go Smartthings<=>Lutron<=>Nest).

It is not.

Lutron device integration is totally separate from NST Manager. NST Manager allows you direct control of Nest devices from within SmartThings and also allows you to setup Automations for Thermostat / Home Away via NST Automations from within NST Manager. If you want to create Routines within SmartThings to allow you to do something with a Nest device based on something happening with a Lutron device, you can very well do that, but there isn’t anything native to NST Manager for Lutron. Now if you have a separate integration between Nest and Lutron, that’s outside the scope of NST Manager.

Feel free to post in the official thread and those familiar with NST Manager and those who have additional integration customizations (Routines, webCoRE, etc.) created can respond better there.