Need webCoRE guidance/tips

I’m a developer and need some webCoRE “mindset guidance” to understand the right constructs for approaching my personal project… webCoRE looks great, but I don’t know its variables, virtual devices, etc work or when I should use them.

Inventory:
3x Cooper dimmers (w/ level indicators)
3x Hue color bulbs.

Goal:
Dimmers should act as a 4way, and the bulbs should act as one.

Brute force approach:

1. Create piston: when DIM1 is turned on, turn on DIM2, DIM3, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  2. Create piston: when DIM1 is turned off, turn off DIM2, DIM3, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  3. Create piston: when DIM1 level changes, set level of DIM2, DIM3, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  4. Create piston: when DIM2 is turned on, turn on DIM1, DIM3, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  5. Create piston: when DIM2 is turned off, turn off DIM1, DIM3, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  6. Create piston: when DIM2 level changes, set level of DIM1, DIM3, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  7. Create piston: when DIM3 is turned on, turn on DIM1, DIM2, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  8. Create piston: when DIM3 is turned off, turn off DIM1, DIM2, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.
  9. Create piston: when DIM3 level changes, set level of DIM1, DIM2, LIGHT1, LIGHT2, LIGHT3.

Need Thoughts/Pointers/Tips on how to:

1. Create DIMS as a single value to represent the level of the dimmers (DIM1, DIM2, DIM3),
  2. Have a physical change DIM1, DIM2 or DIM3 set the level of DIMS (to the level of the touched dimmer),
  3. When DIMS changes, put its level value into DIM1, DIM2 and DIM3,
  4. Have LIGHT1, LIGHT2 and LIGHT3 act as one and use the state of DIMS for on/off/level.

It feels like this could be a just few pistons and a variable/virtualdevice (?) or two. I bolded a few of the concepts I’ll need to learn/piece together to make this work. I could do the brute force approach, but I’d like to learn, and I’m opposed to ugly solutions :slight_smile:

Any thoughts are appreciated. I’ll post/continue my learnings in this thread.
Thanks

Best bet might be to head on over to https://community.webcore.co to their forums :slight_smile:

1 Like

There ya go. A good tip already :slight_smile:
Thanks.

2 Likes