Naming things on the "Things" page

I had the lights coming on at dusk. It freaked me out too. I actually disabled that.

+1 for giving the option to use labels instead of icons.

I can also shake my iPad, but I don’t know about you, but I think it’s a little awkward to shake something of that size with enough force for it to respond. I’m usually worried my hands are going to slip and it’s going to fly out a window.

Hah! Me too. All the lights used to come on at sundown, matched to the weather (an IFTTT recipe) and it startled too many people.

Yeah I’m not saying I like it, I’d prefer to have custom image icons for everything.

Any progress on labeling tiles in “Things”?
Which door sensor am I looking at? etc

maybe @kleneau would be able to say if this is a new possible feature?

Piling on. I’m starting to add more switches, sensors, etc, and the Things page with nothing but icons is not real helpful. PLEASE add labels. The shake thing is funny, but not real useful. Better than nothing, but not by a lot.(Especially on larger tablets!)

2 Likes

Ideally, both labels as well as adding a picture should be an option…

1 Like

I second, third and fourth this!! NEED LABELS! I’m surprised this wasn’t done yet!!

Has anyone ever get this resolved? I have been slowing moving all my z-wave, sonos and other items over from vera. Im at 88 items so far and I’m just over 1/2 way finished. Things are getting cramped and Id rather see names rather then icons.

Plus, I wish they’d make the iPad in landscape mode would also be a plus ( unless this has been done and I haven’t found that yet) We have a few iPads around the house to control some music, alarms and automation and I don’t want to have to rotate them.

So far Im quite happy with moving to SmartThings.

Chris

I agree the absence of text labels is weird.

For shaking on an iPad or iPhone, you can use the built in IOS “assistive touch” feature to use an icon instead of physically shaking the device. I’m quadriparetic, and I can do this with a knuckle tap. It will also work for wall or tripod mounted iPads.

@croft1972 , another option for landscape is to use the free SmartTiles custom code from community member @625alex . It will run in Safari. Very popular (formerly called actION dashboard). But it does require that you install custom code.

OMG you can shake it…

I’ve only got 16 things and it was starting to drive me nuts.