My Setup needs light bulbs

Yep, I am actively looking at solutions that allow me to use one of the current hubs that I already have. Wi-Fi, Zigbee, and Z-Wave. It would be nice if Hub 2.0 would incorporate Wi-FI 802.11AC as well as all the other options for HA.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the other two GE link bulbs? BR30 and/or floodlight?

I picked up a br30 from HD the other day for the can above my kitchen sink. It is great, and much brighter (I actually have it set to about 50% to match three A19’s over my counter).

Can’t wait for the 90 watt equivalent for the cans above my deck, but alas, they are still not in stock.

I am trying to connect a GE Link bulb and it is not recognized as a bulb; it connects as a Thing with no identity. I already have the latest hub firmware. Any ideas how to connect properly?

That is strange as others have described good experiences. I would suggest contacting support as well.

There is an updated firmware per support for this device. Contacting support I am sure will resolve your problem

Yeah, you will need an additional firmware update (not the ST hub) done via the tech team. Send them an email and they will take care of you. The GE Link Bulb has saved my relationship with SmartThings. It’s the most reliable and easiest accessory to install. As some point a $15 light bulb became ‘cheap’ - but I’d say they’re worth every penny for those of us who have invested in ST.

Good luck. Hope you get it to work.

Yes they work pretty well, this might be the way that GE makes a big move into LED lights with the HA option here as well. Now, if we can get a manufactured light bulb in the same range with the same options with colors (SMILE)

Mark,

I was about to grab the GE light tonight but wanted to confirm they work with ST. My question is do I need to also have a smart wall switch? I’m confused between having a wall switch that turns my lights on and off and having the bulbs. I’m assuming with the bulbs I would have to have the switch on at all times and control the lights via phone app. Can someone assist me with a explanation. Thank you

H

GE bulbs all the way! They work great with ST. Cheap! Only $15 no switch needed. Just the bulbs, st and a phone or tablet. I highly recommend them.

Thank you Ray! Do I need to also purchase a GE light switch ( GE In-Wall Paddle Switch ) besides the bulb - sorry for my ignorance. Just started in ST? GE In-Wall Paddle Switch.

Jupiterbeach

You only need the GE Link bulb. The Zigbee radio and switch are built into the the bulb and GE Links work well with SmartThings without a Wink hub.

Yes, you only need the bulbs. No switches needed.

i would say be careful with the ge link bulbs if you have a dimmer switch that controls the series of lights you are putting them in. I did some testing with the ge link bulbs a month ago next to phillips “dumb” led bulbs. the ge link bulbs would flicker if i put it in a series of lights that were controlled by a incandescent dimmer switch(any dimmer switch without a neutral), and when i put the “dumb” phillips led in i would get no flicker, and a very slight hum. the only way that i could stop the flicker with the ge link bulbs was to add a incandescent bulb in the series of lights, so if i have one dimmer switch controlling 2 lights one of them would have to be a incandescent. Most of my house has dimmer switches so ge link bulbs would not work so i decided to put linear smart dimmer switches with phillips “dumb” leds. I now only put the GE link bulbs in strickly on/off controlled lights or table lamps and avoid lights that are controlled by a neutral-less dimmer switch. ymmv.

Avoid TCP Bulbs at all cost. I have four of them. Worked great until Dec 2014. Then TCP got their drawers in a bunch and broke ST integration. ST and TCP have released several updates to their gear and things are still more than a little funky. Pisses me off constantly.

Anyone tried the new Zigbee bulbs from Cree? Home Depot finally has them in stock here.

They’ve gotten pretty good feedback from what I’ve read. They are virtually identical to the typical Cree 4Flow LED bulbs, and more diffuse than the GE Links. Check out the thread below. I updated the My GE Link device-type to use the endpoint for the Cree. Most of the bugs should be out or wait for the official device-type from ST.

I have about 6 of the Cree automated bulbs. $15/Home Depot.
They work great an give off nice light. Highly recommended.