My Home Automation Addiction

Great questions, much discussed in the forums.

Rather than hijack this thread, though, I would start with the security FAQ: (this is a clickable link) most of the people interested in discussing the topic are there:. :sunglasses:

I certainly don’t think so, which is why my ST environment is completely separate from my wired alarm system. They are backups to each other, without either one using a sensor or device from another.

While I have “locks” in my ST world, they’re not real locks. I’ve repurposed an Ecolink sensor and a microswitch to let me know the state of the lock, but never control it.

(Binh Ton) #50

@JDRoberts, the link you sent is mainly for securing our home network. I was talking about ST network. Let say if hackers can hack ST network and steal all of the username/password for our accounts. They can sell that information for burglars to use. Burglars can install the new mobile app and use our username/password to control our houses. ST also has our house GPS coordinate. So burglar can know exactly which house to control.

By the way, I have another addiction to check this ST community. The users here are much more active than Vera.

OK, try this topic. :sunglasses:

Yeah, all the addicts are enablers. LOL!

(Someday my dog will be automated) #52

Thank you! Since you are the one to admit it, I’m saying it as well. I am a HA community forum addict.

(Brian R) #53

not sure I have 10K, but I feel like im possibly getting there.

I only have 1 nest
3 protects
hue bridge with 48 lights
5 wemo outlet switches, 3 wall switches
2 echo’s
5 minimotes
kwikset lock
netatmo with 3 additional modules
2 wemo makers
5 ST motion sensors
3 ST presense sensors
4 ST multi sensors
1 ST water detector
8 contact sensors
harmony hub

this hobby is worse than car stuff or BMX bikes…maybe I need to find a new hobby like extreme couponing.

(Ron S) #54

You are seriously missing a few cameras. The latest Harmony Elite. :wink:

(Brian R) #55

I have 2 belkin camera, but they suck horribly. im planning on getting a few of the Samsung ones soon.

(Someday my dog will be automated) #56

Stop it. You are encouraging this poor guy. You are basically being an online HA dealer. :wink:

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #57

He’s an HA enabler! ! ! ! !

(Ray) #58

I still have 22 light switches still waiting to be installed. The worst part is… I am an electrician. This hobby is starting to cut into my spare times. That’s what my wife said anyway. I think she’s wrong :smile:

(Brian R) #59

I would have more light switches, but I despise putting them in

(Dan P Parker) #60

Mine started with binge-buying ordinary LED bulbs. Then I asked myself, “Hmmmm…what are these GE Link bulbs all about?” At that point it just spiraled out of control. :pensive:

(Dawn Fairbro) #61

Yes the joke use to be " how many XXX does it take to change a light bulb" updated (HA) version is- how many light bulbs does XXX need. I now find myself looking for empty sockets and staring longingly at new lamps… :anguished:

(Ron S) #62

Hey, you are so missing out on the new Aeotec Doorbell (now shipping). It is available now. And of course Kuna Lights… Go for it, Brian! :wink:

Not sure exactly how much I have spent so far, but it’s probably best I don’t add it up…but

Here is my addiction:

1-Harmony Elite in Family room (2 months after getting the Ultimate Home)
1-Harmony hub Extender (Family room)
1-Harmony Ultimate Home (Bedroom)
1-Harmony 650 (~3 MONTHS OLD AND CURRENTLY FOR SALE)
1-ST Hub
1-Wink Hub (1-Nest Protect, 6-zwave Leviton Light Switches, 8-Lutron Dimmers and wall plates, 9-Lutron Pico Remotes and wall plates, 5-Lutron on/off Switch and wall plates, 2-zwave relays (Remotect and Enerwave) (fireplace and 2-load to convert a standard duplex switch to zwave) - Really went with this hub because the lutron dimmers and switches look nicer than most of the other ST switches and dimmers.
1-Chamberlain MyQ
1-Chamberlain MyQ door sensor
4-zwave PIR ceiling sensors
4-zwave contact sensors
5-zwave outlets
2-Leviton plug in dimmers
2-Leviton plug in switches
2-Aeon Labs recessed magnetic contact sensors
5-IP cameras (pending installation)
3-Aeon Labs Sirens
1-Everspring contact sensor
1-zwave motion/Temp. detector
2-First Alert zwave Fire/CO detectors

And all that doesn’t include the entertainment setup. Still much more to get before I am satisfied.

On the bright side, I have become a self-proclaimed electrician :smile:

(Ron S) #64

No automation is complete without couple of echo’s and at least 25 hue and family products… It’s Friday evening. Hit the local bar, get drunk and then drunken shopping! Helps with the remorse part. Don’t you like music? I don’t see couple of Sonos Play-1’s there. Doorbell, porch lights, alarms!!!

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #65

Lol! I did my shipping last night. I found a lowes that had a whole bunch of the GE/Jasco switches, the ones in the blister packs. I cleaned them out!

I got-----

3 the way switch kits @ 40.00 each
4 on/off switches for 28.00
1 dimmer switch
A bunch of wall plates

About 320.00 the door after my discounts.

These were the switches in the blister packs, not the individual ones in the boxes.

I’m not sure what the difference is, other than I have more money to spend on more stuff!

I’m trying to decide on which thermostats to get. Problems with that is I keep them programmed and never touch them. The two wifi ones work great, they just aren’t connected to ST.

And I’m trying to convince the wife on the third and maybe fourth echo.

I was thinking about getting 2 echos, but debating weather I will really use them.
I think the hues are nice, but a bit over priced for my taste.
Sonos are also out of my range, but I have a multi-room setup that uses the Onkyo NR737 receiver to pump beautiful music throughout the house (also have to install the speakers to extend that beautiful music to the gazebo).

I haven’t even started the 2nd floor yet :sweat:

I love this kind of stuff, but I think I will seriously need to start extreme couponing also on the side :joy:

(Ron S) #67

If you not running Ecobee3 with at least 5 remote sensors, you cannot call it HA. Bare minimum replace those with Nest 3 and well, it will open the doors to a parallel Nest platform! :wink: just kidding!