My Home Automation Addiction

Ya wife bought me an Alexa 2 years ago for my birthday and now im hooked.Anything that can be automated is, or will be (YOU WILL BE – YOU WILL BE)

I know the feeling… my adventure started with the arrival of my first Echo. I got one of the invites for the first ones and it’s been crazy ever since. I have 13 of them now.

1 Like

13 echo dots?

I just got a eufy genie and a echo dot they are well worth the money.

1 Like

Yeah, I have 3 shows, 3 echoes, and 7 dots. One for each room of the house… And I have a very chatty house.

It tells me when the conditions are just right for opening the house. After I open x number of windows it turns on my house fan and turns off the thermostats. Then when the conditions change to out of my settings, it turns off the fan and tells me which windows are open. It doesn’t turn the thermostats back on until I close all of the windows.

I love my Alexa/ST controlled house.

My next project is going to be to automate my window blinds using Phillips light bulbs!

1 Like

Ok, I’ll bite.

How?

1 Like

Strip the brains out of the bulb, connect it to a servo and gear box designed for my blinds. Connect it to the Hue Bridge as a dimmable bulb.

3 Likes

This brings back memories of an old project that I created, but never actually used… :wink:

I like your ingenuity!

2 Likes

So I took the Echo dot to the master bed room. I say “Alex Goodnight” All of the lights in the house turn off, the fan turns on, and Sleep-sounds Crickets turns on. In the morning (Basically for a joke) I say “Alexa Good morning” The light turns on to 2% , the fan turns off, and the song “I got you Babe/Sonny and Cher” turns on (like the movie Ground Hog day… I thought it was funny…

Just wanted to share

1 Like

Why in the hell am I still looking at this thread! I just consolidated all of the devices I have that are either still in the box or not being used and I have a serious problem! There is about $2k worth of devices in this bin! I believe I am up to about 250 physical devices in my home.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

3 Likes

I blame @bamarayne :crazy_face:

4 Likes

It’s time to put things up for sale in the Deals section. :smile: I’m sure there are a few more addicts just looking to buy more things.

2 Likes

hahahaha, don’t blame me… I’ve been trying to help everyone out by buying everything I can find… If I buy it then they don’t have to spend money on the addiction… tryin to help folks out!

I stopped putting everything in one spot… I didn’t want the wife to notice it all…

5 Likes

WAIT WAIT WAIT Theres a deals section?

https://community.smartthings.com/c/devices-integrations/deals

1 Like

Revisiting this old thread. I just stumbled on the New Yorker article on this addiction. Pretty entertaining reading!

That said, the WAF has skyrocketed on this stuff over the past year or so. She finds it silly when I’m doing it. But then if a battery on a sensor goes out and something no longer works she complains about it. So just a few weeks ago she commented on how cool this stuff is.

2 Likes

Help me! With new devices coming out from lutron caseta, ikea smart shades, and new hue outdoor motion sensors - I feel my addiction is going to flare up again. :grin:

3 Likes

Me, too!

And don’t forget the HomeKit – enabled Netatmo video doorbell!

Oh, wait…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Sorry, wrong thread. Forget about it, forget about it now! LOL

2 Likes

Did you see that it detects when someone knocks!!

Shhhh! Shhhhhh! Shhhhhhh! Wrong thread! :wink: LOL!

3 Likes

Been eyeballing these. $130 for the whole shebang seems doable for me at least.

1 Like