Multi and LFM-20 Combo

Hey everybody! I know that many of us have the old style of automating a garage door with the Multi and LFM-20 which since been deprecated. I just wanted to share a little write up I did to get it all working again even with automations!

We’re going to use the “SmartSense Garage Door Sensor Button” Device Handler that’s already built into the SmartThings IDE or you can use my slightly updated one for the Multi. Mine just looks nicer; no extra features. (If you need instructions on how to install a custom Device Handler, follow instructions in this link.)

We need to:

1. Log into the IDE
  2. Select My Devices
  3. Select the Multi
  4. Select Edit
  5. Under “Type” select “ SmartSense Garage Door Sensor Button” (if you’re using mine, it will be farther down)
  6. Select Update

We need to change the Evolve LFM-20 Relay to “Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch” Device Handler. This way the Evolve LFM-20 will turn OFF after 3 seconds. Follow the steps above but use “Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch” instead.

Finally, we need CoRE. If you don’t know what CoRE is, check out the Wiki. The Wiki will have all the steps on how to install it and get it running.
CoRE is going to be what lets us control the LFM-20 from the Multi. We’re going to need to enable “Expert Mode” in CoRE Settings to get the actions and changes we need.

Automations → SmartApps → CoRE → Setting → Toggle “Expert Mode” → Done

We need create a new CoRE “Piston”. Tap “Add a CoRE piston” in the CoRE SmartApp settings. We can leave the “Piston Mode” as “Basic” unless you want to get crazy.
Under the “IF” portion, we’ll want to select “Automatic Garage Door” as the type of device and then select our garage door. The Attribute is “buttonPress” and the comparison is “changes”. You don’t need to change any of the other details.

Under the “THEN” portion, we’ll want to select “Relay” as the type of device and then select our LFM-20. Our “Task” is going to be “Push”. You can change the name if you’d like.

When all’s said and done, you can rename the CoRE Piston to whatever you’d like or leave it as “CoRE Piston ##”.

Now we can use our LFM-20 and Multi Sensor as one device to fully control and automate our garage door once again. You’ll now be able to not only view and control your garage door from a single device again but you’ll be able to automate it to your heart’s desire! I’ve done a lot of testing and I have yet to have it OPEN when it should CLOSE or stay CLOSED.

https://techwithjake.com/index.php/2016/09/22/smartthings-evolve-lfm-20-and-multi-sensor-as-your-garage-door-opener/

3 Likes

Great instructional Jake! I reached out to Smartthings support and they directed me to this posting. I’m not a developer but up for the challenge. I had a few questions though.

I have a Linear Z-Wave Relay Control (FS20Z) and Ecolink Z-Wave Wireless Tilt Sensor (ECO-TILT-US). Wondering how difficult it would be to modify your “combo” app to utilize these two devices? Also, do you know if after creating this app, does it work with the Amazon echo in the sense you could say “Alexa, close the garage”?

Thanks,
Christopher

Hey Chris,

I made a change to the Z-Wave Contact Sensor to work with this setup : https://gitlab.com/techwithjake/smartthings-custom/raw/master/devicetypes/techwithjake/z-wave-garage-door-contact-sensor-button.src/z-wave-garage-door-contact-sensor-button.groovy

If the Tilt Sensor is a different device handler, let me know what it is and I’ll see if I can modify it too.

With regards to Alexa, you won’t be able to say “close” as “close” is an unknown command. Alexa only knows turn on/off.

Hello Jake,

I was able to set up the CoRe and device however push button works fine but garage will always show closed position, even when its open. I am using FS20Z-1 Relay and Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-F-MLT-US-2-Multipurpose-Sensor/dp/B0118RQW3W/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519179240&sr=1-4&keywords=smart+sensor

Do you have code that will work with that sensor by any chance?

Thank you.