Moving on from SmartThings - A Thank You and A request for resources

After several months of deep deliberations, I have decided to move away from the ST platform.

I started with ST because they had an Arduino Shield. I stayed with them because I was very impressed with the platform, and how I could customize my own devices and write my own code. Just as I got buried in learning Groovy, WebCore came and made things both easy and… cumbersome. But during all that time the platform was stable for me and the community terrific and supportive.

While the community has been great… the conversion this year broke some things and I don’t see a reliable path within ST anymore. The entire forced migration (something I can’t believe went as smoothly as it did!) came at a time when I just didn’t have the time to deal with it, and now that I have been forced to, I don’t think ST is the right place for me anymore.

So this is a very sincere thank you to the community. I wish that I had had more time to contribute, as many people here are very inspirational.

If anyone has any suggestions for Hubitat resources or conversion guides, I would appreciate you sending them my way.

A final note: Back in 2016, ST along with a Dlink Camera, a pebble watch and Pushbullet Notifications (along with a kick-ass neighbor I called when ST alerted me) put a burglar in jail for 8 months, and saved about $3000 worth of tools and a bike. Eventually this led to the SF Police Dept busting a huge bike chop shop and a lot of people got their bikes back, and many more avoided having theirs stolen after these guys were run out of town.

That whole thing would not have happened without this community. So seriously, Thank You.

I will continue to suggest ST to my friends who are looking to dive into HA, especially for those who are just technical enough to be dangerous.

Take care!

6 Likes

I, as you have found, have had to move away from ST for the same reasons. As have 1000’s of others in the last few months. You will find Hubitat a great place to be. They have issues with their new hub C7, but have a firmware fix that is supposed to alleviate much, if not all, of the zwave issues. Fingers crossed but they are definitely heading in the right direction for power users of Home Automation.

https://community.hubitat.com/ will get you everything you need, just like it did here for ST.

Why would you recommend ST when you are leaving because of all the problems. You still want your friends to be your friends, right? LOL

Everything ST is doing is pointing to cloud implementation for the multitude of consumer devices they sell. They are moving away from anything zwave/zigbee hub stuff.

1 Like

I’ll be honest… the problems I have had with ST have mostly been due to relatively custom solutions that I don’t think non-power users will end up dealing with.

When I say “I will recommend” I am not really talking about people like you and me. for example, if someone asks me “iPhone or Android?” my answer to that is “iPhone”… because if you are asking a basic question like that, it’s unlikely that you would need any of the things that I think make Android more powerful, and it’s unlikely that you would take the time to learn about the things that make Android more dangerous too.

So if a friend came to me and said “I want to set up some simple lighting scenes and turn off my lights when I am on vacation” I don’t think I would hesitate to suggest ST.

On the other hand, if someone asked about integrating a custom microcontroller they built to check dust levels in their woodworking vacuum system like I did, or wanted to integrate a custom LED lighting rig to mesh with their Ring doorbell and a homebrew security gate buzzer… well, that’s the stuff that has been somewhat cumbersome with ST.

But at the same time… I usually get good, solid answers from the community here. Maybe they tell me “Sorry, can’t do that”… but that’s a good answer to get when you need it.

As another example, I would never suggest Home Assistant to anyone who wasn’t pretty technical. Even with all the crap I know, every so often going back an upgrading software on an rPi is a pain in the ass.

Once I get knee deep into Hubitat, I might suggest that instead. After seeing some reviews on Youtube, it appears that setup is a lot more intense than I think many light users would be willing to deal with. We’ll see!

I’m interested in how you get on, please keep us posted, personally I want stability alongside the basics (Smart Lighting does most of that) but I also want the ability to do something a lot more complex in a small number of situations. ST for me is useless without WebCore, the fact that Webcore runs on Hubitat and the reassuring flexibility and familiarity of it is already making my mind up for me. So, keep us posted on your journey, although I get the impression I’ll be joining you shortly. Nice story about the burglar!

If you’re recommending iPhone, just recommend HomeKit to go with it. :sunglasses: Now that the HomePod mini provides a $99 “out of home control” Option it’s financially in the same tier and “Just works” For most simple home automation use cases. Personally, I recommend a combination of Echo and HomeKit for people looking for a “set and forget“ option. Both companies have excellent tech-support for beginners, and there are lots of devices out there now that work with both simultaneously.

It’s not what power users are looking for in most cases (although shortcuts now provides a lot more options than it used to), and it’s probably not worth switching from android to iOS for, but it’s functional, reliable, and should at least be on the candidate list for most non-hobbyists who already have an iOS device.

JMO :wink:

4 Likes