Monitoring a sump pump with vibration detection

Did anyone figure out if there is a tweak to the Samsung Multipurpose Sensor to increase its sensitivity to vibration? Or perhaps there is an alternative sensor I can get that is much more sensitive?

I am trying to use it to monitor when my sump pump runs. I have the sensor taped to the PVC pipe coming out of the sump pump. This pipe shakes slightly each time the pump runs. It only triggers about 75% of the time though. I’ve tried moving the sensor higher/lower on the pipe to see where the vibration could be stronger, but the results are about the same.

I realize this would be MUCH better tracked by using a power monitoring plug on the sump pump that would sense each time the pump ran. For sure that would solve the issue. However I am paranoid that if the smart plug was to go bad, or turn off someone, that the pump would not run. Although the chances of that are slim, I can’t take any chances as the risk of monitoring the pump then outweighs the benefit.

Any ideas? Thanks!

.1. my ST gen2 multisensor acceleration triggers for seemingly nothing. I’ll send one of mine for $15. It has the tendancy to stop reporting battery somewhere less than 77%. Then it stops reporting temperature 1-2-3 months later. I don’t think you want to use it for monitoring something critical.

.2. If your power plug module fails, then it would probably stop reporting, right? No updates in the last X hours, that is your cue to look at it. There are apps and core/webcore to manage that.

.3. I’ve had one plug module fail slightly in the past 2.5 years - a dimmable plug, would flicker. It kept switching correctly tho.

.4. The “SmartPower Outlet” default devicetype reports 0.1w resolution, may report 5 times a minute, unless the load is very constant - noisy, obnoxious logging.

.5. The Aeon plugs set as “Z-Wave Metering Switch” default devicetype reports 1w resolution, every 5 minutes. This is the one I would use for a important load.

Same experience here with the ST gen2 sensor…it triggers for vibration for no reason. I was trying to use it as a doorbell sensor with it sitting directly on top of the doorbell cover…it triggered randomly, but rarely triggered when the actual doorbell rang.

I am also curious on the sump monitoring. I can’t really hear my sump upstairs and I know if it fails, I will take water within 60 minutes during big storms.

Perhaps you’d want to consider a backup “hi water” alarm? Perhaps a flood sensor with the probe above normal sump hi-water line that would warn you before water reaches the top of the sump hole?

Been there, cleaned up several times in a prior home. Good luck!

I put my ST multi v2 inside the doorbell and stuck it to the solenoid mount. works every time.

I have a ST multi v1 on my sump and it is very sensitive. I have the magnet side taped to the pipe and then I just let the magnetism secure the unit side to the magnet side. Not sure you could do that with a v2 due to the shape.

I think mine is a v2 - but you gave me an idea… I have mine taped so that the BACK of the sensor is flush with the pipe. I wonder if it would be more sensitive and therefore work better if I taped the SIDE of the sensor to the pipe (IOW mount it 90 degrees from how I have it mounted now). And there is a magnet side vs non-magnetic? Didn’t realize that. So are you thinking that for best results I should tape it so the magnetic side is flush with the pipe?

Thanks!