Modify Ramp Rate on GE (Jasco) Dimmers

(Jeff Johnson) #49

Hi, I gave this a try and it seems to work on my “Leviton” VRPD3, but it only seems to work for ramping up, not down. Did I miss a post about that or is it just not implemented in this code (or just not compatible)?

(Ben W) #50

Not entirely sure if Leviion supports these settings. Did not see the product in the zwave alliance list, but found it on the Leviton site. It makes no reference to the settings that is used in the GE/Jasco Dimmers.

I am re-working this some, and with the new ST zwave fingerprinting going to restrict the Device handler only to Jasco/GE dimmers.

(Zach Wise) #51

don’t know if anyone is still following this thread, but found some updates on the ge/jasco dimmer switches that probably explain some of the problems others had. Sounds like faulty firmware prevents setting some of the zwave ramping parameters.

(Kirk Brown) #52

I followed this logic and set 7 and 9 to 99 and 8 and 10 to 1. = which in english is me telling the switch to go from 0 - 99 percent brightness in 1 time period. Which roughly translates to full on/off in ~ 10 ms. And it is nearly instant once I used those values.

(Eddie Frastai) #53

I am a smartthings newbie. Can someone point me to step by step direction on how to access the parameters for my GE Dimmer Switches?

I installed GE Z-wave dimmer switches throughout my home. Whenever someone presses (rather than taps the switch to turn it on), the switch turns on very dim (e.g., 1% brightness). If we then turn off the switch, the next time we tap the switch to turn it on (or my Smartthings hub instructs it to turn on), it turns on at 1% brightness. How do I make the switch “forget” the brightness level of the last time it was on so it turns on to 100% brightness?

(Michael K) #54

the instructions with the ge’s list all their parameters that can be modified. I don’t recall that there is a setting to ignore the previous dim %.

You have to teach people to tap. :slight_smile:

kidding aside- you can use the CoRE smartapp to make a custom app to adjust the levels.

As an example I have a rule that ramps one of my particular lights to 100% when it is turned on during the day.

Which action are you using to get it to ramp smoothly? With CoRE’s (software) “fade to level” I get a very choppy ramp (3 distinct levels)

(Greg) #56

Is there a way to use CoRe to mimic the double tap functionality that is common on many of the on/off switches? Press and hold dims. Double tap up goes to 100% every time.

(Michael K) #57

Set level to (100%)

(Greg) #58

@MichaelK would you mind sharing your full piston? Have trouble wrapping my head around it in core.

(Michael K) #59

not sure if what you and i mean by “RAMP” is the same but here goes-
Also by no means a CoRE expert- so you might find better answers in the core thread(s):

If
-lightswitch changes to on
AND
-time is between sunrise and sunset
then
-set lightswitch to 100%

we hit the switch in the AM and it ramps (per the ramp rate settings in the switch) to the % from the night before. It realizes its been turned on and then ramps it to 100% (again using the ramp settings in the switch). There’s not any real rate/time precision .

If you dont like the switch settings then maybe you want have core ramp it by going to 1% wait X, 2% wait X, 3% wait x, etc (obviously fiddle with times and % increments to fit your needs) ? You could set a rule that whenever you shut the switch off it goes to 1% and then off again. That way it’s always starting from 1%. But maybe the CoRE threads have better ideas.

I think you have one of the dimmers with the older firmware. On mine, calling set to level on its own - or when the switch turns on - immediately sets the level to 100

(Alex Matusov) #61

Thank you so much! It works great!!!

(Greg) #62

Is there any way to update the device handler so a tap brings you to 0 or 100 every time?

(davedogcaddy) #63

i used this device handler to modify the manual ramp up/down rate to 99% - which made the light come on almost instantly. I changed it back to 1 but the switch is still doing instant on/off. ideas?

(Kevin Gibson) #64

Old post. I just installed my first GE Link toggle dimmer switch. I don’t really need the dimmer functionality right now, but the dimmer switch was the same price as a non dimming toggle.

I have had good luck with just changing the device type to a regular Z-Wave Switch instead of any sort of dimming switch and the “ramp” up is as quick as I have seen it on the turning on and pretty much instant turning off.

(Alex) #65

Many thanks to @desertblade for the Enhanced Dimmer Switch device handler! That works perfectly for mine.

(Brian) #66

Agreed - this is so awesome! I wish they just had these options in the native device, but this is easy enough to get them set. Thanks, @desertblade and @pablo!

(Jason) #67

Just stumbled across this thread searching for an idea I’m working on for my theater, trying to figure out if this would fit the bill. In short, I have a GE Dimmer switch that I want to have a slow fade when the Set Level command is called. Right now it’s an instant change. Which brings me to two questions. First, I’m assuming the custom device handler is just sending parameters, so if I wanted to slow the ramp rather than speed it up, I could do so, correct? Second, would this change affect the set level command as well, or is it just the ramp to on/off that it changes?

I’m in the process of setting up a Kodi device with CinemaVision along with WebCoRE to automate my movie nights. Trivia slides with a set lighting level, dim to show trailers, and finally off for the feature. Right now, the set level command creates an instant light change, and I’m trying to have it be a slow gradual ramp like you see in the theaters. WebCoRE does have a fade to action, but that seems to be designed for a fade over a period of several minutes or hours rather than seconds.

(Brian) #68

When you switch to the custom device, you’ve got several parameters you can change. From what I remember, you basically have a couple ways to toggle the ramp speed for commands sent wirelessly (which would include SetLevel) and for commands sent manually at the switch.

So in summary, yes, I think you could use this to slow down or speed up the switches you’re wanting to change. Change the switch to the custom handler, make your changes, apply them, then switch back to the normal handler.