Mobile Presence

Sorry to revive an old thread. I just started to mess with mobile presence and two of the smart apps for mode change. Mobile presence shows me as leaving and coming back every 5 or so minutes when I’m in the living room. I’ve done the geofencing stuff but no luck. Any hints on what’s causing this? I have not rebooted the hub yet.

Edit: I’m on an android phone btw.

Rey,

I am having the same issue. I ended up disabling the mobile presence on my android phone. I thought that maybe since my phone can’t get a GPS signal inside my house, that maybe that was causing the issue but I have no idea.

I was having the issue of it showing me as leaving and returning every few minutes on my Galaxy S3. I tried it on my Nexus 4 and it works perfectly. I now use it instead of my presence tag because it can change the mode well before I turn into the driveway, where as the presence sensor would often report too late.

I’m using a Galaxy S4, I wonder if the phone being a Samsung has anything to do with it.

Yep, my phone is a Galaxy S3. Now I would go as far to say it isn’t a software issue. I run a custom rom built from source so my phone is much closer to the software on a Nexus 4 than it is to the android version that Samsung installs.

This is weird.

My GS3 was also on a custom ROM. Keep in mind a lot of drivers have to be fabricated for these AOSP builds. Its still possible something not right in software for our hardware. After all, all other location services apps work fine for me.

Cory,

Which ROM do you run? I am running AOKP 7-29-13 nightly.

I’ve been on several in the last few weeks. I’ve tried stock, Carbon, AOKP, and Paranoid Android. None of them work on the GS3.

Hmm, now I’m curious to see how many other ST users are having the same issue with their Samsung phones. It was exciting at first to find out that I can do the mode change based on my leaving/arriving, what to do… what to do…

Wife is on GS3 running 4.1.1 and check in/out from non-hub location is pretty constant. I’m on a GS Note 1 running 4.1.2 and presence is poor for hub or non-hub.

Both stock roms.

As far as I know the app is calling the phones base location services. I’m not too well versed in Android, but do they differ manufacturer to manufacturer? I can double check with the Android team and see if they know anything.

I can make @emilyallen come up with an answer lulz

After I upgrading my gs note to 4.1.2, it stinks getting gps locks. Known problem on Android side. “RECALCULATING” lol.

Heck it tells me I’ve left and came back everything I open ST app. But then the phone might be right and I’m observing the wrong dimension.

I could be evil Kirk and not know it.

Happy Tribble Hacking!
Twack

Mobile Presence on iOS7 is absolutely sucking up the battery. I’m a little used to this because I run a VoIP app that links to my work phone and I run bluetooth for tethering, but since I started using my iPhone 5 as a mobile presence device, the battery sinks like the Titanic! I know it is running location services constantly, but perhaps the developers could tone down the accuracy just a little to help with battery life. I don’t want to charge my phone three times a day, twice is already enough!

Hi everyone, and thanks for passing the buck to me Urman. :slight_smile:

I checked in with our Android developers, and location services should be the same on all devices. However, there IS variation in the quality of GPS and cellular radio chipset from device to device, so that could certainly be the cause of some variation we’re seeing.

Unfortunately, mobile presence is a feature that relies on each device’s ability to know where it is at any given time, which depends on a lot of variables and is not always 100% accurate.

@wackware Maybe it’s less like you’re evil Kirk and more like you’re Riker’s cave double?

@emilyallen

The only issue I have with that explanation is in how it presents itself.

Here is how I create the issue.

1. Add my GS3 as a mobile presence device
  2. Change the radius to be more inclusive
  3. Add the GS3 as a presence device to a few smartapps
  4. Use the home button to go back to the home screen.
  5. Turn off the screen.
  6. Within a few minutes, I will get notifications that my phone has left. Turn on the screen, and open Smartthings app, and it reappears.

On step 6, if I do nothing, eventually it will show back up then a few minutes later, it will show as not present again.

If I keep track of my phone by using other apps like Hemisphere (basically the same as what Google Latitude used to be) which uses location services, it never show my phone moving.

@jleonar That specific case sounds like a bug that should be fixed in the next version of the app (which should be in the Play store this week barring any unforeseen roadblocks.) If you continue to experience this after that, please let me know.

Any information on the fixes/updates for the new version of the Android app?

@dferrey I think you’ll like this one. In addition to bug fixes/improvements to existing features, it will have:

-Sliders for dimmers, thermostats, etc.
-Custom icons for devices
-Custom images for presence and groups

I know people have been waiting a long time for these three.

Yeah!! I’m happy. :slight_smile:

I just removed my mobile presence for now, I’ll try again after the next update or so. It’s just eating up my battery with my never ending arrival and departure. It’s a bummer, it’s more likely I have my phone with me than a smarttag.