Migration to V2 - Hurdles and Best Practices

I’d even suggest that Life360 works better. It’s more reliable for me and has added benefits.

1 Like

@antolope…Finally! Sort of. I got it connected and working again, but when I try to add it as a garage door to Routines it doesn’t show up. It is listed as a thing and it works from Things view. Am I missing something?

The only thing you’re missing is this thread:

Garage door functionality has been scaled down for now…

1 Like

Damn. The garage door opening with a routine was the most useful thing SmartThings did in my house. Seems like too many things have been “scaled down” on this new hub.

3 Likes

I share your pain buddy, hope they’ll do something soon…

Trip, have you connected the garage door with the device type from @garyd9 or @Ron? @RBoy has a paid one floating around but not sure who well it works.

Try the one @garyd9 has here:

or try the one @Ron has here:

You can follow the thread here:

Shout out and props to both of them for their great work!!!

If you have used one of these device types, the next step is to ensure you’re using the correct SmartApp. try this one:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I don’t need a smart app. I just need the Routines to allow garage doors. It already functions correctly by allowing me to open/close and showing open/closed state based on the tilt sensor. The limitation at this point is with the Routines. Thanks again for the help with getting it paired to the new hub. I had no idea about pressing the button 5 times to exclude. Later.

I think I’m missing something even after reading the thread. In my V1 setup, my tilt sensor and garage door opener were always separate. I used one to confirm the other. Was there something better I missed? Or am I not understanding completely.

Right now I can still control my door and see it’s status. I use the MyQ @copyninja made and an Ecolink tilt.

Yes, a shortcut button that reported status and when touched would open or close the door.

1 Like

Aha, I didn’t know that existed. Darn. And I see that routines doesn’t do this either. Ok now I understand.

If you have MyQ using @copyninja’s integration you didn’t miss anything. For you it’s business as usual with v2. However for those of us who used relays, it’s a big loss. Luckily for me, I’ve had a MyQ hibernating on the ceiling wall of my garage. Just installed @copyninja’s app and I now have the garage door opening on presence again! This is a prime example of how different and so much better ST is than anything that’s available on today’s HA market. If you want something to make it work and is not officially offered, leave it to the community to find a workaround…(because ST is that flexible and the community is that smart!)

3 Likes

@tripster3 You can use this Smart Device for the GD00Z to use with standard ST routines:

1 Like

Holy cow! I just spent all day removing and adding my devices and all I got was reduced functionality.

• No doors in Dashboard (including garage doors).
  • No Light groups in dashboard.
  • Can No longer use GE Remote 45600.

Had I known of these issues, I would have never “upgraded”. BIG OOPS!!!

5 Likes

No doors in Dashboard (including garage doors).
No Light groups in dashboard.

ST was upfront about these.

No, to my knowledge it was not “up front” information.

I would call myself a decently informed customer. If I didn’t know I was not going to be able to re-add a garage, I doubt the average customer would.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about the garage device issue, but I knew about the others. I knew it before migrating.

Have you confirmed if this is a problem in the new mobile App V2, or with Hub V2?

Keep in mind that you can (for the time being), run App V1 even with the new Hub (and vice versa).

1 Like

Yeah, I grabbed a 1.7.6 apk from the interwebs and it looks like they removed the option server side. I know I was able to do it before on that version.

Awww man, I thought I was doing something wrong. I tried resetting the remote, and re-adding it. nothing. Was there a post that says this is borked? This was the only way i could control my lights when the internet went down.

When i try and add it to the new hub, the light on the remote blinks green rapidly for a few seconds, and then acts like its pairing, the green light on the hub flashes once or twice, but the device never shows up in the “add new device” section.

My V2 Hub works fine with my GD00Z Linear Garage Door.
It’s in my dashboard and can be controlled as a door.
I have it notifying me when it is opened and closed.
I have it notifying me if left open for more than 30min.

I am using my version of the device code which I have moved to the new IDE standard github repo.