Meross Garage Door Opener

Is anyone using the built-in Meross integration with SmartThings? It seems to work fine for the most part, but the SmartThings app has some limitations that really prevent me from fully utilizing the device. I’d like to ditch the Meross app and use SmartThings exclusively, but in order to do that, I need to perform a few basic automations.

• Open or close the garage door (seems to work fine in ST)
  • Check the status of the garage door (seems to work fine in ST)
  • Trigger a notification if the garage door is open at a certain time (seems to work fine in ST)
  • Trigger a notification if the garage door is left open for a specified period

The fourth item above doesn’t seem to be possible in SmartThings. The built-in automations don’t allow me to trigger an action when a device is set to “open” for a specified period of time. I went hunting around in the built-in IDE SmartApp templates and found several templates written by Samsung that ought to be able to do exactly what I want: “Garage Door Monitor”, “Left It Open”, and “Ridiculously Automated Garage Door”.

However, I tried all 3 of these SmartApps and none of them will let me select the Garage Door opener as the device to be controlled. They all just tell me that I do not have any compatible devices to use with the SmartApp. Am I missing some obvious step, or is there a workaround? SmartThings customer service has not been helpful and say that they don’t support their own SmartApp templates.

Thanks!

It’s doable, but as you noted, not with the official features. Also, the custom smart apps that you looked at require that the door Identify itself in a specific way, which apparently it is not doing.

(Just guessing here, but at the time that those were written, the only available compatible garage door opener‘s were two zwave devices, one to open the door and one as a Tilt Sensor. There was special logic required to work with the two in combination. However, most Wi-Fi controlled garage door openers do not treat the tilt sensor as a separate device, so that might be why it’s not working.)

However, even if it is seen as just one device, there are definitely ways that it can be done. :sunglasses: Some use third-party paid apps, some are free but may have a more challenging set up.

Anyway, see the community FAQ for details:

FAQ: Get a Notification if Something is Left On, Open, or Unlocked for X Minutes (2020)

2 Likes

Perfect, I will look into your link. Thanks!

1 Like

You can also check out this app which is a wholly contained app for managing Garage Doors:

2 Likes

The problem is that the Meross device is a WiFi device connected through its cloud to cloud integration on the new platform. So the DTH is just “placeholder,“ like all the other CTC integrations on the new platform. I’m not sure it’s going to be identified as a “garage door“ the way hub connected devices are.

Yeah, apparently it’s not identifying itself that way. :frowning:

1 Like

@JDRoberts All C2C devices are identified as placeholders in the IDE, that’s normal and it should not be changed manually as it’ll cause unpredictable issues.

However, C2C devices do report their supported capabilities as part of the WWST integrations and those capabilities are reflected in SmartApps.

We’ve made some updates to our apps like LUM to support these newer capabilities from the new platform which are coming in via C2C integrations so it should work with Meross as well to control garage doors. However for this specific use case, most apps are looking for a contact sensor capability which Meross may not support, but with a little update to the Door chimes and notifications app we should be able to get Meross garage door opener to work with that app to notify you.

@nateio if you have access to RBoy Apps feel free to send out support desk and email and we can get you into the BETA program to see if that works for you.

EDIT: The Garage door manager smartapp is already updated and should work with the meross garage door controller C2C capabilities.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer! I’ll try out the SharpTools solution for now, and we’ll see how that goes.

3 Likes

A quick update, Door chimes and notifications now supports WiFi garage door controllers like Meross (verified and tested) and other garage door controllers also (Z-Wave, ZigBee, MyQ etc):