[RELEASE] Enhanced Linear GD00Z-4/GD00Z-5/GoControl/Iris/others Device Handler with Switch and Automated Garage Door Open/Close when People Arrive/Leave/Timer

smartapp_alerts
dth_garage
smartapp_garage
smartapp_security
rboyapps

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #1

This was inspired specifically by the GoControl/Linear Garage Door (GD00Z-4) which is a great garage door opened available on Amazon but has a compatibility issue with SmartThings Door/Locks section. ST requires a connected “switch” to operate a garage door opener. The default Z-Wave Garage Door device type code that comes with ST does not support this to one cannot use the “Close Garage Door when someone leaves” or “Open garage door when someone arrives”.

We’ve solved this issue in 2 ways (depending on your choice and preference).

1. A Custom Device Type Z-Wave Garage Door Opener with Switch functionality. This allows any Garage Door to interact with any ST apps through a standard Switch on/off interface to open/close respectively. This allows for control through the Door/Locks section of ST Mobile App and also from any Smart App which turns on/off lights/switches. It also improves the low battery detection and reporting mechanism for the garage door position sensor. It also takes care of the phantom “opening” reports from the garage door opener.

2. A Garage Door Open/Close Smart App when someone leaves or someone arrives. This app allows you to control any Garage Door (including Linear) to open/close when someone arrives/leaves accordingly. You do NOT need any special device types and works with the standard device type from SmartThings. This is the easiest way to provide open/close functionality without having to mess with custom devices.
    You can control multiple garage doors simultaneously.

This device also supports reporting the Garage Door Level Sensor battery status.

If you’re trying to control the device using Alexa (Amazon Echo), please note that the stock ST Amazon Echo does not support operating locks and garage doors due to security issues. If you still want to control them using Amazon Echo, please use Ask Alexa, a custom integration which allows for the same.

More features to added, if you have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to ask and we’ll try to add it.

###This custom device type and smart app is available on the RBoy ST SmartApps Server, http://smartthings.rboyapps.com. Refer to our facebook page below to get access to the server.
If you like the Apps consider supporting our development efforts. Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to all our Premium ST Apps Server. http://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps

Linear GD00Z-4 GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener--
Help with refreshing garage controller automatically
GoControl GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage door opener to work with Alexa (Echo)
Any way to integrate MyQ garage doors?
Migration to V2 - Hurdles and Best Practices
Help with refreshing garage controller automatically
Any closer to open close commands on Alexa?
Go Controller Garage door Opener
Garage Door Device and Alexa
[RELEASE] Virtual Garage Door Opener/Controller with Relays and Tilt/Door Sensors
[RELEASE] Virtual Garage Door Opener/Controller with Relays and Tilt/Door Sensors
Garge Door Opener
How can I close my garage door automatically if its been open for 15 minutes?
New to Smartthings, have a question about adding features to Automated Garage doors
Use Google Assistant to verbally open garage?
Craftsman Assurelink / SmartThings Integration
Alexa opening and closing garage door?
Liftmaster/myq/gocontrol understanding
Door Unlock Automation? How do you reduce security risks?
ST & Linear’s GD00Z-1 Z-Wave garage door controller
Automatically open/close garage using Linear GD00Z-4
Garage Door Setup Help
(JJ) #2

What about the tilt sensor. Does it show the position of the tilt sensor?

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #3

If you’re referring to open/closed from the tilt sensor yes it works

(Ron) #4

@garyd9 has a version you can get for free which works perfect with the GD00Z-4

It doesn’t handle the reset after the door loses power however I don’t see how any version can. I contacted the makers of the GD00Z devices and they told me that was a requirement of getting UL rating. The tilt sensor on the door ONLY sends a signal when it’s position is shifted (saved battery life) so the base unit can’t know what position the door is in after a power outage. Linear should have put a battery backup on the device to prevent this but they didn’t. Of course you can plug the device (not the garage door opener) into a UPS and it will never lose it’s position data.

Without a UPS the only way to reset the door is to move it (open/close) so the tilt sensor sends a signal.

It would be cool if RBoy’s version fixed this issue but I don’t think it is possible since the GD00Z will only send “unknown” status zwave messages after an outage until the tilt sensor sends a new update. I have used Garyd’s version to add some debug messages and I am quite sure that the unknown status as the only update the unit sends after a power outage until the tilt sensor is shifted.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #5

Interestingly it automatically resyncs with the sensor in about 5 minutes after forcing a refresh or in about 15 minutes if you leave it alone. Try it out. This is with the GD00Z-4 device. So it goes from “unknown” to closed.

(Ron) #6

I also have the GD00Z-4 and it continues to report unknown. I would like to try your version but not for $10 I would be annoyed if it didn’t work after paying for code I already have and I don’t see how it could be working given the zwave messages I have seen from the device and the feedback Ihave from Linear support.

Based on your description your code isn’t doing anything special here if you can just wait 15min. This should mean the standard polling is all that is involved. Unless you are doing more than secure(zwave.barrierOperatorV1.barrierOperatorGet()) during your poll?

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #7

No, not doing anything special to handle the sensor resync, that’s done by the firmware. We can only invoke a “refresh” from the device code to force a faster resync.

(Ron) #8

OK thanks, then it can’t work any better then garyd’s version. Maybe in your lab testing you are moving the tilt sensor during the time period before the next update. Moving the tilt sensor fixes the unknown issue. In real environment after a power outage the sensor doesn’t report until someone manually opens or closes the door.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #9

No, the labs are an actual building :slight_smile: - this is fitted on a real garage door so I know it doesn’t move.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #10

Not sure if the firmware version on the I’m using and one you’re using are different.

(Ron) #11

I am not aware of any different firmware versions. The Linear site doesn’t list any firmware updates. Does the device report firmware version ?

Perhaps you are willing to provide me with access to your device code ? I would be willing to test it to see if it is any different from GaryD9’s version. Maybe something in your config is different or something.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #12

@Ron see the logs below, I manually turned off/on the mains to the door opener, it shows up Unknown, hit refresh and it takes time but syncs up. Works for me.

From the device event list:

2015-02-09 9:32:12.237 PM EST
moments ago DEVICE door closed Garage Door door is closed true
2015-02-09 9:29:31.113 PM EST
7 minutes ago COMMAND refresh refresh command was sent to Garage Door true
2015-02-09 9:22:48.801 PM EST
14 minutes ago COMMAND refresh refresh command was sent to Garage Door true
2015-02-09 9:20:58.155 PM EST
16 minutes ago COMMAND refresh refresh command was sent to Garage Door true
2015-02-09 9:19:50.229 PM EST
17 minutes ago DEVICE door unknown Garage Door door state is unknown true

This is from live logging:

c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug "zw device: 15, command: 9881, payload: 00 66 03 00 " parsed to [[‘name’:‘contact’, ‘value’:‘closed’, ‘displayed’:false, ‘isStateChange’:false, ‘linkText’:'Garage Door ', ‘descriptionText’:Garage Door contact is closed], [‘name’:‘door’, ‘value’:‘closed’, ‘isStateChange’:true, ‘displayed’:true, ‘linkText’:'Garage Door ', ‘descriptionText’:Garage Door door is closed]]
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug BarrierOperatorReport BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState: 0)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug encapsulated: BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState: 0)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug "zw device: 15, command: 9881, payload: 00 71 05 00 00 00 FF 07 00 00 " parsed to [‘descriptionText’:Garage Door : security alarm 0, ‘displayed’:false, ‘isStateChange’:false, ‘linkText’:'Garage Door ']
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug encapsulated: NotificationReport(event: 0, eventParameter: [], eventParametersLength: 0, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 7, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug "zw device: 15, command: 9881, payload: 00 71 05 00 00 00 FF 06 00 00 " parsed to [‘displayed’:false, ‘descriptionText’:Garage Door : access control alarm 0, ‘isStateChange’:false, ‘linkText’:'Garage Door ']
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:32:13 PM: debug encapsulated: NotificationReport(event: 0, eventParameter: [], eventParametersLength: 0, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 6, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:29:36 PM: debug "zw device: 15, command: 9881, payload: 00 66 03 FD " parsed to [[‘name’:‘door’, ‘descriptionText’:Garage Door door state is unknown, ‘value’:‘unknown’, ‘isStateChange’:false, ‘displayed’:false, ‘linkText’:'Garage Door ']]
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:29:36 PM: debug BarrierOperatorReport BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState: 253)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:29:36 PM: debug encapsulated: BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState: 253)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:22:49 PM: debug "zw device: 15, command: 9881, payload: 00 66 03 FD " parsed to [[‘name’:‘door’, ‘descriptionText’:Garage Door door state is unknown, ‘value’:‘unknown’, ‘isStateChange’:false, ‘displayed’:false, ‘linkText’:'Garage Door ']]
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:22:49 PM: debug BarrierOperatorReport BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState: 253)
c8c07402-8a0e-47f3-aa55-24553f029d23 9:22:49 PM: debug encapsulated: BarrierOperatorReport(barrierState: 253)

(Ron) #13

OK thanks but I can’t tell if the tilt sensor is moved in your environment. Reading your event that you posted I see only unknown status at the end of each log. How does this prove that it eventually cleared ?

Since I can’t test your version without paying I really am no longer interested in this discussion. Thanks anyway.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #14

Fixed an issue with garage door not reporting correct open/closed status when used as a switch to control it

The zwave garage door opener device class is intended to provide four statuses: opening, open, closing, and close.

If you don’t process all 4 you may inadvertently bypass some built in safety features of the door lift, such as Chamberlain’s Alert-to-Close.

It’s one thing if someone does this themselves (although it may still be a local code violation), but obviously quite another if you’re selling a smartapp that disables a safety feature.

Does your app preserve the Alert-to-Close feature?

@Ron ,

In the US, after a power outage, automatic garage doors are supposed to remain in place until manually reset by someone with a view of the door. This is to prevent locking someone outside, damaging a car that was left during an emergency, or, worst of all, crushing someone with no prior warning the door was about to move. This is a combined UL and CPSC standard. I’d be very surprised if any manufacturer allowed for automatic reset after a power outage.

See the official manufacturer’s response in the following thread over at MyQ, which refers to the UL requirement for a manually controlled cycle after a power outage:

https://myqcommunity.liftmaster.com/liftmastermyq/topics/after-power-outage-doors-on-app-show-as-question-marks-except-one-door-works-correctly

(Ron) #16

Yes that is what Linear tells me which is why I don’t understand why @RBoy claims his version resets on it’s own. My unit does not.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #17

Spend a few minutes reading the logs. Mine just does and I’m happy.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #18

On what basis are you drawing conclusions here?

I haven’t “disabled” any features or code, just “ADDED” more features to allow the garage door opener to be used with other apps using the switch and momentary interfaces.
The base z-wave code processes all 4 statuses, this addition only adds more interfaces and additional states.

(Ron) #19

LOL, take your own advice. Read your own logs. The last entry reporting status says “unknown”. You should read the reply I made right after you posted the logs. You really make me laugh dude.

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #20

:smile: Read the time stamps! The FIRST entry is unknown, after a few refreshes it shows up as closed.