Lyric vs. Ecobee

(Chaosrain) #1

Hello,

I have purchased a Honeywell Lyric Thermostat for use in my home. I have been unable to get it working properly (Honeywell has swapped the unit out twice). While the thermostat connects and controls everything, the buttons on the front cease to work pretty quickly. The Honeywell team believe that my C-Wire voltage is too high and it’s impacting the capacitive buttons on the front.

I’m debating purchasing an Ecobee and selling my Lyric on eBay. Does anyone have experience with the Ecobee and is it as sensitive to voltage as the Honeywell?

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #2

If Honey well can tell you what is the voltage limit, then you can measure the voltage and calculate the resistors that are needed to provide you that voltage in bridge configuration - Voltage Divider Network. This is very simple if you have some basic electronics understanding.

(Dale C) #3

We have two of the ecobee3’s in the family and no issues. In fact it’s been great with the multiple sensors and integration into SmartThings.

Did you ever measure the voltage you have coming off the transformer? I guess it is possible to have the voltage causing all your troubles but it’s a stretch if you ask me.

(jotto) #4

Inline with what others have suggested,it would be best for you to test the voltage on your C-Wire first. Do you have a voltmeter? They are cheap if you don’t have one.

Also if Honeywell isn’t able to solve the problem I would ask them for a full refund before you buy have to go through expense of unloading it on EBay. Where did you buy the thermostat from/how long ago?

(Chaosrain) #5

Unfortunately, I bought it from Amazon and Honeywell has successfully leveraged their “troubleshooting” efforts to wait out my entire return period. I’m very disappointed because I’ve been through three separate units, all of which had varying degrees of loss of capacitive functionality. You’d think they could modulate the voltage easily within a $200+ thermostat without needing anyone to test and modify output voltage. It is a Smart Thermostat after all…

I’m strongly considering giving up on them and going with an Ecobee. Worst case, I can disable the C wire and use their power extender to pull juice out of the R wire…

(Kurt Sanders) #6

Two Ecobee’s in my dual HVAC/Humidifiers home along with 6 remote sensors. They are working perfectly for over a year and installation was a snap! I have been using @yvesracine’s SmartApp integration with SmartThings and it has been flawless. Having both the Ecobee portal and SmartThings is the perfect balance for stability & reliability.

(Ben W) #7

Unless you have measured the high voltage its just a guess and away for them to say “not our problem”. I would actually suspect the voltage was too low.

Worse case order the Ecobee hook it up, if there are any issues return. You may have a HVAC issue (bad wires?) that need replacing.

Edit:
Both the Nest and Ecobee have batteries so they should not be as susceptible to power issues with the C wire

(Chaosrain) #8

The Lyric also has a battery (comes with an Energizer AAA), but it isn’t enough to “smooth” out the power. At some point, I’m pretty sure that Honeywell is going to argue that my wiring is at fault, but the fact that a battery enabled thermostat loses capacitive button feedback means that they under-engineered the power management features of this guy.

If my voltage is low, it should be able to be augmented by the AAA. If it’s high, it should be able to be smoothed by internal circuitry. Disappointing to say the least…

(Ben W) #9

Looked it up after I posted, and I noticed the AAA.

I would still reach out to Amazon and see if you can get a return, sounds like you did all the ‘right’ things.

I too have an Ecobee3. I had no C wire so to be very safe I had a local company install mine. It only cost $35 for them to come out and do the work. It’s only been in a couple of months but so far has worked without a hiccup. The remote sensors are really nice to have. It’s helping to mitigate out some of the temp differences between rooms.