Lutron Connected Bulb Remote

@kevintierney went through a similar process for the Zigbee securifi key fob with the help of @Sticks18 and @JohnR . There’s a good discussion of it here:

The packaging says wink hub required but that seems to be only for the ge link bulbs but doesn’t matter I wanted it so I could use it as a simple off switch to kill all my lights before bed and this works perfectly for that vs grabbing a phone or tapping a wall switch

For a nightstand switch, I like the SmartenIT 3 toggle. Battery operated, so you can use it on a table or wall mount. Each of the 3 buttons toggles, and it set up as a button controller, so you can use it to control both Zwave and Zigbee devices, and to change modes or tun Hello Home Actions. It’s $50 instead of $30, but you are getting the functional equivalent of three switches for that.

And of course now I use the Amazon echo for everything.

There are some other options as well,. The Aeon many Minimote with four buttons is very popular. Securifi zigbee fob is tiny but has three buttons that again can be used for multiple purposes and protocols, and that one only cost $15. These and other options are discussed in the following topic:

So I guess the important question is will you be able to figure out a way to add this new Connected Bulb Remote in a way that allows you to bind different events for each button push. If so I think this will be the most appealing wall-mountable switch out there.

I wouldn’t use binding at all, that’s specific to zigbee devices, and would really limit what you can do with it.

Instead, ideally, I would want to set it up as a “button controller” like we do for the smartenIT three toggle or the Aeon Minimote.

In a button controller, each button press is reported to the hub, and associated with pretty much whatever you want, including a mode change, or a hello home action, or A smart app. So you can have multiple events happen from one button press, and they can include devices of any protocol that smartthings supports. And to help always knows the status, because the hub is the one actually sending out the action request.

But to do that, for someone has to figure out how the button presses are reported so we can capture them. I don’t know if it will be possible, but like I said, ideally that’s the direction I would like to see it go. Because it is a really nice form factor.

I may stop at home depot and see if I can pick one up. This one is a little more advanced than the key fob I worked with in the past. In addition has some manufacturer specific clusters. I suspect we should at least be able to get some basic functionality out of this, but some of these (scenes/groups) aren’t supported currently by ST as far as I know

Here’s what I do know from the raw description above

FF00 and FC44 are manufacturer specific and I’m not sure yet what they do.

rawDescription desc: 01 C05E 0820 02 04 0000 1000 FF00 FC44 08 1000 0003 0006 0008 0004 0005 0000 FF00

End Point 01
Profile C05E - ZLL
Dev TYpe 0820 - Non Color Controller
Ver 02

4 In Clusters
0000 - Basic
1000 - ZLL Commissioning
FF00
FC44

8 Out clusters
1000 - ZLL Commissioning
0003 - Identify
0006 - On/off
0008 - Level Control
0004 - Groups
0005 - Scenes
0000 - Basic
FF00 -

1 Like

I haven’t been able to get any kind of output from this aside from attempts at reading some attributes and blindly poking at 0xFF00 and 0xFC44 (which yielded nothing but a “command succeeded” response and a lot of “unsupported cluster command/attribute”). Sending a “zcl global discover …” doesn’t return anything useful from the mfg. specific clusters. I set up binding similar to the SmartenIT, but with just endpoint 1.

It seems to me that it sees the ST hub as another controller and doesn’t bother sending on/off or level commands to it since it’s clearly not a light. It will be interesting to see how Wink integrates this; if it’s able to get responses then we should be able to as well. If I had some dev hardware or a sniffer I might be in a better position to figure this out. If I find a lot of extra time, I might try poking around with the rooted Wink hub and see if I can get anything back using the Ember CLI.

Side question: does anyone know if the ST hub will pass all received messages back to us or is it silently dropping messages that it doesn’t explicitly support? I assume that anything that it doesn’t recognize gets passed as a “catchall”, but I don’t know for sure.

Also: If there’s anyone that wants to take a serious stab at this, but can’t get the hardware… I did buy a couple and I’m willing to mail one of mine out or pick up extras from HD (although I guess it’ll be generally available after the 1st)

3 Likes

I went ahead and snagged one of these today betting the community breaks it open rather quickly. If not, the Wink hub is only $20.

Went to my local HD. Not on the shelves yet and they spent 10 minutes looking for them but couldn’t find them. Will check back in a few

Any luck with this integration yet? I’m very interested to see if someone can get it working.

Not as of yet. Working as a secondary controller, but not a generic button controller. My GE Links are reporting their status immediately, so device state isn’t getting out of sync as I had worried. Still, not useful for anything other than Zigbee lights at the moment :-/

All of my lights are connected through the Hue bridge.

Was in Home Depot tonight and the LED lighting isle is looking pretty exciting for Canadians. They are carrying the chandelier Cree TW series bulbs now, FEIT LED Bulbs, this remote among many other things. They seemed to have cleared out all of the Cree standard bulbs so I think Canada is about to get the TW series as well!

I am really hoping someone figures out how to integrate this remote into ST soon! It is exactly what I need and at $30 its a great deal!

1 Like

Which Home Depot did you visit? Do they actually carry this remote?

I was at the Home Depot in Westmount. They had a few of them still in stock tonight, right on the LED aisle when you walk in the store.

I suppose that was not HD Westmount in Edmonton?.. I will check tomorrow anyway.

It was the Home Depot in Westmount Center in Edmonton. Like I said they have about 3 left, I can’t imagine they would be THAT popular.

I don’t know if this will work with Hues that are attached to the Hue Bridge. Getting it to work alongside ST required pairing it to the hub first. You’d need to be able to pair the remote to the Hue Bridge first and that’s something that I don’t know is possible.

We should go for lunch some time…

These are now available for purchase online and should show up in all stores tomorrow (Home Depot only from what I can tell)… any news about getting it integrated into ST?