Lutron Aurora dimmer for Hue lights (Z3-1BRL)

A question came up in another thread is if you can use these in a double gang next to an existing switch. That’s exactly how we have ours set up and it fits just fine. :sunglasses:

Apple Insider had some excellent pictures,

image image

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/13/review-if-you-have-philips-hue-bulbs-you-need-lutron-aurora

Live in a new build. Living room fan has e12 bulbs. Got an adapter to convert to e26 but the damn bulbs stick out.

Long story short between my last post and this one my wife said it drives her crazy and to spend whatever I have to. So 4 e12 hue bulbs and a bridge were just ordered on Amazon. Unfortunately, these auroras are sold out.

Try Home Depot, Lowe’s, or Best Buy. These are selling fast everywhere, but everyone is also restocking frequently. :wink:

Amazon now says they will be back in stock August 4. Just keep checking if your preferred retailer is out of stock, these devices are selling fast, but also being re-ordered regularly. :sunglasses:

My housemate’s clueless girlfriend stayed over last night, and for the first time I didn’t have to get someone else to go in that room and turn on the dressing room switch after she had left the house. (that particular switch is not wheelchair accessible.)

Go, Lutron! :heart_eyes:

Thinking I may end up sending them back, sadly. The lamp shades aren’t very long. From what I read the hue e12s are basically the longest around - only about an inch shorter than my traditional e26s plugged into an adapter.

If it looks silly I may end up driving back to ikea to get their globe shaped e12s which, again unfortunately, don’t have white ambiance and are stuck at one temperature.

Very upset about the whole situation. This room began with me buying some GE switches and me learning that a 4 way is well beyond my electrical understanding. And I have less than a week of summer left before I’m back at school (work) so hiring an electrician is both fiscally silly as well as difficult to schedule.

Maybe one day I’ll finally get these dimmers.

1 Like

I have two of these now. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. They are really responsive with the Hue bridge. I’ve gotten one to pair with the Smartthings Hub but none of the default DTHs seem to work with it. It’s ok though because I only need it to control my Hue lights anyway.

Does it actually matter if SmartThings can see the switch? SmartThings can control each bulb or the bridge directly, what additional benefits do you get if it sees the switch as well?

2 Likes

It would allow me to control other devices with the switch such as those connected to a smart plug and would allow me to do more complicated automations.

If smartthings could see it, then you could use it to control smart bulbs which are not on hue bridge, like Cree or LIFX.

Ah that’s true, didn’t think about not having a bridge. Otherwise, you can run routines off the bulb’s state if the switch was incompatible with SmartThings.

If only there was a DTH for this in ST. Adding it to Hue doesn’t make it show up in ST either. And I really want this to work for my Hampton Bay ZB ceiling fan that everyone keeps turning off at the switch!!!

1 Like

We could use it for other things that take a variable input, maybe a remote volume knob for speakers, blinds, remote floor vents, thermostats, fans…

2 Likes