Low-cost rapidly implemented second hub functionality

(Matthew) #1

Why not simply offer a “second home” copy of the exact same application in both respective app stores (apple store and Google Play store)? This would allow for the use of two logins, to have both home and office hubs work on the same device. Obviously on older devices, this may lead to increased battery drain, however Android now batches sensor polling, so there shouldn’t be increased drain from GPS queries related to mobile presense sensing, etc.

Obviously you’ll have some people asking why you can’t offer this functionality built into 1 app, or why can’t you offer more than 2 copies for people with even more than 2 locations, etc. I’d imagine that the number of users who need 2 hubs is significantly greater than the number of users who need 3, ditto 4, etc.

A an alternative, can’t you simply offer a beta version of the program, that would again allow for running production and beta clients side by side?

It seems that this could be completed by the end of the week for less than 5 man hours of work, and solve a lot of problems…

I realize you can add more than one hub to an account, however the lack of an ability to set permissions, etc means this is not only impractical, it is an impossible solution for people with a home/work configuration, where work would need to be shared to multiple users who should never, under any circumstances, have access to home data.

(Tim Slagle) #2

it already is built into the app…

(Matthew) #3

So how do I add a second hub and grant access only to the second hub and it’s connected devices/smartapps/etc to another user without granting access to the primary hub?

Scenario: A user has a SmartThings enabled home, along with cameras, presence sensors, etc. They also have an office, where they would like to have personal office lights come on once present, or have the ability to read what the temperature is in the server room, etc. This office data, along with seperate apps to allow multiple employees to have their own offices automated using the same hub, needs to be visible on the employees smartphone that already has the home SmartThings hub enabled.

How would this user get access to a “Work Hub” on the same phone as their personal hub?

A second app would allow for the use of two different logins, such as user@home.com and user@work.net on the same smartphone, allow for mobile presence, push notifications, etc to work on a single device for multiple locations.

(Tim Slagle) #4

Smartthings does not have that ability yet. I’ve heard its coming though.

But you can add as many hubs as you want to the current app.

(Matthew) #5

I’ve heard a lot of things are coming. I understand development takes time, however a completely functional and working solution such as I have described could be implemented immediately, not at some later undisclosed date.

Offering a beta app (even through functions such as Google+) would allow for the same functionality, while having other benefits such as bug testing on release candidates, etc. I realize this may not work since the app is so closely tied in to the backend, that beta app changes may not work since the appropriate changes have not been made on the backend as well, however it may work for many new features which are device/app driven, as opposed to server/backend driven.

Heck… make a “donate” edition of the app for $5, $10 or even $20 and make a profit… As long as both the normal and donate copies of the app can be installed side by side, that’s all I and other users would need. Paid apps obviously need more planning, since you are committed to supporting that app long-term, and I’d imagine Smartthings may offer a “pro” app at some point in the future (whenever that is) that would further muddy the waters. I’d imagine users would easily pay for a pro copy of the app that includes a “beta zone” of publicly available custom apps that have not yet been approved for the regular Smartthings app.

It sounds like your use case is unique and there probably isn’t too much demand for it. My advice for the time being would be to use one of the web dashboards for the secondary location:

or

This would allow you to give people from the secondary location access via their device browsers and they would never get access to the app.