Local executions new indicator (BETA Firmware)

yes, modes and sunset/sunrise were recently added to the local automations beta.

3 Likes

There’s also a new warning when editing a DTH

2 Likes

Pity they didn’t just have one to say to remove the local execution metadata before saving, it would have saved a lot of confusion.

Yeah the wording is
intriguing. If the warning is that is may cause an issue with local rules, then that implies that is also may not yeah? Maybe that’s just me being optimistic :grin:

2 Likes

This could be one of the malfunction cases:
I changed the fibaro switch DTH to local execution and it works fine with smart lighting as local, but I have seen duplicate events coming in for the same action, as if it was running local and also in the cloud.

UPDATE: This double sending of events only happens when the switch is activated or deactivated from the smart lighting app with local execution. Also consumption events are doubled.
If it is activated or deactivated from an automation running in the cloud or directly in the switch mechanism, only one event is sent.

In IDE, local events (red) and cloud (blue) are differentiated.

If local execution removed only one event sent

2 Likes

interesting!

I believe it relates to this. The result is nondeterministic from a user perspective.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking about. It would have been a lot easier to stick to the then status quo of not letting custom DTHs be set to run local and just warn people there would be a cryptic error message if they tried it.

2 Likes

The L icon has finally disappeared

Sorry to disappoint @GSzabados but it won’t be animated :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It will be a pretty obvious symbol that will show up in roughly the same spot as the “L”. We needed something that better handles translation/internationalization since “L” won’t make sense in all languages.

1 Like

Yeah, an “*” makes more sense in any language. :laughing:

@blake.arnold, so the new local Automations feature gets a ‘symbol’. What about the Smart Lighting SmartApp? Right now the only way I know of to see if the Smart Lighting Routine is running local is to open the IDE, select the Location, then select List SmartApps to see the ‘Local/Cloud’ symbol on my long list of Smart Lighting Routines. Will a ‘local symbol’ be included in the SmartThings app for the Smart Lighting SmartApp Routines as well?

1 Like

@DaWeav I believe the point of local automations is that Smart Lighting will be depricated.

1 Like

Exactly. When the IDE goes - so does SmartLighting

1 Like

I would assume we won’t get any new things or updates until the big app makeover next month

I can see for example that the ewelink button has been approved on github for some days now, but it has not been added to the app.

It’s only on the staging branch

Sorry i am not a dev. What does that mean?

In software design, version control software such as github helps new code go through several environments before it reaches the public (production). Typically, developers write code that gets merged (added) to the master/developer branch, then once that is deemed to work correctly, code is moved to a staging branch where further tests are run, then when those all pass, code can move to either other environments or the production one.

TL;DR; staging is a step towards production/public release

4 Likes

Thanks! This was actually rather educational! Btw i couldn’t find the branch inside the github app for android.

Do you know if the automations are going to be enhanced? There are so many things you can do with smart lighting that cannot be done with normal automations.