Lights flashing

Hello @Bryan_Fleming … did you ever find a solution to this?

I am running the first gen. ST Hub – have 4 of those GE dimmers installed with all different kinds of bulbs. Sometimes i get the flicker, sometimes i don’t … (like last night i tried for 30 minutes to try and get them to flicker … nothing)…

So it’s very strange

Let me know what you’ve found!

Hi @DrewKull, I have not. :expressionless:

I think it is a problem with the GE switches. I haven’t taken the time (or spent the money) to start replacing them all yet.

I do know there is some general issues with dimmers and early generation LED bulbs too.

I just tried replacing my GE with a Linear dimmer – same thing … flickering.

I’ve checked all my neutrals and panel.

Only thing left I can see is either ST hub or the bulbs. Trying the bulbs next.

Any movement on this topic? I have a light bar with 4 dimmable mr16 base led bulbs connected to a GE Z-wave 12724 dimmer switch. They seem to flicker periodically while on regardles of the setting. Seems like it might be while hub is polling or something. Not sure what to try to do to correct this. It’s annoying

I recently started having this happen with my 2-3 yr old switches.

I have had the GE switches for 4 years and I believe the flickering is due to the switches. Originally connected to a 2GIG system and updated to ST about 3 months ago. Flickering is consistent between both systems.

I bought new switches and moved the old switches to new locations. New ones did not flicker, old ones continued to. Recently switches in other rooms are beginning to. Pretty sure the JASCO switches are junk. Have not had issues with the EVOLVE switches I also have.

I’ve had this flickering on 2 different switches. They both handle multiple bulbs- and even more interesting is that these are the only 2 switches that have NOT been converted to LED lights out of very many throughout the house. Anyway, one is handling the chandelier in my dining room which takes 10 typical A19 base incandescent bulbs. I have it filled up with these little 20 watters. The second is 8 lights of GU10 type spotters.

In my case, without question both of these switches flickerings are caused by the switches intolerance to its own heat. I’ve checked both, and both are wired extremely tightly- so that isn’t the problem. The house power is extremely solid with several power conditioners that don’t show fluctuations at all.

It was the 8 light switch above that has finally solidified my thoughts on the switches not necessarily overheating- neither are -that- warm/hot, but just maybe a connection inside that gets funky with warmth. Anyway, this switches flickering has been going on awhile (months) with intermittent flickering- but once it gets going- it gets quite annoying. Though some nights it’s rock solid. At any rate, tonight I finally just pulled the switch plate so it could get air- and the flickering went away within 15 seconds and hasn’t reappeared since. Most nights, once it got going it would continue.without mercy.

There always seemed to be a balance on dimming with wattage that wouldn’t cause flickering. I found a sweet spot for the dining room, but just couldn’t find with the 8 gu10 bulbs. What I’ll probably try for both these units is a metal switch plate- hopefully that will heat sink the heat out of the enclosure. If not, I’ll bag 'em borth and just move on to another brand- never been too thrilled with these switches anyway.

Finally, both switches are model GE zw3003. This is what I found out for my situation- YMMV- Good luck.

2 Likes

Hi John,

Can I ask you this?
So for your issue with the light flickering come with the dimmer switch is the heat from the dimmer, and by get it cool enough, then no flickering afterward?

Thank you

Hello,
While the temp was the problem- as mentioned when leaving the switch outside the gang box I had virtually no flickering- I still had 2 problems. First, how to put switch back in gang box and dissipate heat. Nothing short of either buying a relatively expensive- and decor wise, out of place- metal switch cover would have worked (hopefully) as there simply is no room in the gang box for any other cooling means. Second, the above referenced scenario was on 8 LED GU10 lights and with this switch, there was always a tiny amount of light bleed from the bulbs as this switch never fully shuts off due to the always on zwave function. This also occurred on all other LED light(s) combos hooked to this switch. Apparently there is always a tiny amount of voltage flowing to the lights and LED’s are so sensitive- they pick up the leak and glow. The way to overcome is to put a somewhat costly resistor inline- which is just too kludgy for me. Or, just buy the below referenced switch which has a neutral that allows the extra voltage to be properly dissipated.

So, rather than hold onto old tech switch with new tech bulbs- and try to jury-rig the heck out of it, I simply replaced these GE switches with this and I could not be happier with the results:

While a neutral is required for this switch, the results are outstanding! Absolutely rock solid dimming of LED’s with no flicker whatsoever. It also has much better dimming range that allows finer control of the lights within the 1%-20% dim range. The GE was terrible in this regard- there was no gradation under about 20%-25%- it just wanted to drop to off.

I have this switch in several places in the house now handling a different combination of LED bulb and various size form factors- and they are all handled perfectly. Now- off is off with NO light bleed, I couldn’t recommend more!

It was happening to a led strip powered by a Fibaro Dual relay, and I found that the phase and the neuter cables where inverted .