Hi folks…this may or may not be SmartThings related depending on the solution we come up with.
Here’s what I want to do:
On Mon - Fri mornings
When my alarm goes off (or a specified time is okay)
Check the current weather report for two different cities (home and work)
Actions: On my LIFX bulb:
- If it’s going to rain, show deep blue (if possible, would like to be able to set conditions based on chance of rain %)
- If it’s clear skies show light blue
- If it’s going to be hot, show red-orange (if possible, would like to be able to set conditions based on temp)
Here’s what I currently have to do it:
- SmartThings system - Connected to IFTTT
- LIFX bulb - Connected to SmartThings, IFTTT and Nest
- Nest Thermostat - Connected to SmartThings (with Nest Manager smart app, including the weather device type they made) and IFTTT
I also have the following smart apps:
- Nest Manager
- Rule Machine
- CoRE (haven’t learned how to use it yet, primarily use Rule Machine for now)
I tried setting this up with IFTTT, but since IFTTT is limited, no conditions to the IF statement and no complex IF statements using multiple services. You’re also limited to only 1 city with IFTTT on the weather service.
I commute to work every day on my motorcycle and every morning I check the weather/rain report on Alexa for both cities before I leave to know if I can take the bike or if I need to take my car, or throw on a rain jacket.
For the alarm trigger, I usually use my Echo for my alarm, I figured I could use IFTTT to run something on SmartThings which triggers a Rule Machine rule (or CoRE piston) which is set to only run on Mon-Fri from 5AM - 9AM (when I usually get up for work)…from there I’m not sure how to perform the weather report to bulb color actions.