Leviton releases 5 zwave plus devices--solves low load glow problem

In the “def on()” of the generic dimmer switch handler you could change:
zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0xFF).format(),
TO
zwave.switchMultilevelV2.switchMultilevelSet(value: 0xFF, dimmingDuration: 0xFF).format(),

This will use the last dim value and also use the default dimming duration when turning the switch on from the SmartThings app.

5 Likes

That’s brilliant. I actually read the manual and even looked at the parameters that can be set, so I’m not sure how I missed it. Thanks a million for pointing this out.

1 Like

Perfect, I’ll give this a try and report back how it works. I really appreciate the help.

1 Like

That did the trick. Thank you again for the assistance.

2 Likes

I have a leviton 15A switch (non dimming), it keeps reporting the light is “ON” , regardless if it’s controlled by smartthings app or the actual switch.

1 Like

There seems to be a problem with Z wave plus devices not reporting status:

2 Likes

Please tell me they aren’t discontinuing the older rf+ models. I still have half my house to finish, plus I prefer the single click to a rocker.

I have the Leviton DZ6HD dimmer switch. I’m able to set the fade duration time and it will work when I’m pressing on the switch. However, no matter what the fade duration time is set to, when turning on/off the lights from the smartthings app, the fade time is always about 2 seconds.

I used the generic dimmer switch handler and tried the solution from your post but it had no effect.Do you have any idea?

1 Like

Does anyone else notice this new switch from Leviton feels slightly warm? We have in our house a few of the previous model DZS15, and they do not feel warm at all. However, we recently installed some of the new DZ15S and they all are warmer than room temperature. They are not hot by any means but run at approximately 26 degress c / 78 degress f, and they are only driving LED loads so they shouldn’t be overloaded. We checked with Leviton, and they said it shouldn’t be an issue, but thought we would check here if anyone else noticed the warmth of this new model. Thanks!

Just installed my first smart dimmer (DZ6HD) a few days ago, and can confirm the issues mentioned in this thread with the generic z-wave dimmer DH. I hacked around a bit and found some fixes/workarounds and put them into a new DH. In particular, it should resolve @capfan’s ISSUE #1 and @ziggy682’s “always turning on to 99%” issue. I also put in some other goodies like being able to configure the indicator LED and load type right from your phone, and shortcuts for LOW, MED, HIGH levels. Unfortunately I don’t have a matching remote yet so I couldn’t see if there’s a workaround for @capfan’s ISSUE #2.

Here’s the source code. Happy hacking!
https://github.com/jasonxh/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/jasonxh/leviton-decora-zwave-plus-dimmer.src/leviton-decora-zwave-plus-dimmer.groovy

4 Likes

Me too. Luckily I’ve just finished what I think is my final few switches. Might want to source some switches while you can!

This is fantastic @jasonxh! Thanks for finding a fix for ISSUE #1! I tried it out and it successfully shows the correct value of the dimmer and whether or not the light is on, no matter how much I mash on the buttons of the dimmer.

2 Likes

Anybody seen where you can buy these in grey? been waiting to find any zwave switch in grey, but I can’t find anything about replacing the plate or buying them in colors other than white/almond.

Most Manufacturers, Leviton included, sell the switches with white and almond covers. Then if you want one of the other colors that they manufacture, you have to buy a separate “color change” kit. And you just swap that cover for the one that came with the switch.

Leviton has announced that there will be a gray color change kit for the new zwave plus switch, but I don’t think it’s on the market yet. There’s a placeholder for it at Amazon:

Note that the older color change kit, which is VPKit, is available in gray, but it won’t fit the new switches because they have a different form factor.

GE/Jasco makes black switch covers for their switches, but not gray.

http://www.ezzwave.com/z-wave-products/

Cooper has a " silver granite" in their Aspire zwave line which I really like, but it’s a little shinier than the standard gray that Leviton uses. Cooper does sell each color as its own switch rather than having the changeable covers.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/BuyersGuides/RBG/A/RBG-A-Sec-09.pdf

I would get in touch with Leviton support and ask them when their gray color change kit is going to be available. Here’s the product page for that:

http://www.leviton.com/en/products/ddkit-g?pg=1469208716017

1 Like

I’ve got one the black switch covers for may GE switch, but my bathroom has grey. I’ll definitely try and give Leviton a call and see when the grey smart switch cover will be available for the new switches, thanks!

1 Like

Anyone know the operating temperature range of these? I can’t find that information anywhere and I am worried that they will begin failing on hot days if exposed to sunlight?

I would get in touch with Leviton support and ask, I haven’t seen anything published on this.

http://www.leviton.com/en/support/contact-us/technical-support

I did, still waiting. We will see what happens.

1 Like

thanks JD. I do have a question or for anyone who has installed the DZ6HD. I have a 3 way receptacle, and just installed a DZ6HD in it. Do I have to have the DD00R-DLZ installed in the other 3way receptacle to make the lights actually work?
I could get see the bar lights on the DZ6, but no lights came on in the room. I still have just an old 3way switch in the other switch, but no one has said I HAVE to have both receptacles as Leviton switches…
Any help appreciated…Curt

If it’s currently wired as a non-networked three-way, then it isn’t going to work to just replace one device . You have to replace all of the devices in a three-way, not just the master.

So you can use the DZ6HD as a standalone switch, but then there have to be no auxiliaries wired into the circuit.