Leak Sensors For High Temperatures (Attic)

Anyone aware of leak sensors that work in higher temperatures for an attic (in the U.S., zigbee or z-wave).

This ecolink one goes to 120 F which is fine, but are there other options folks are aware of? Most others say 104 F.

I’ll just offer a thought on this… The sensors that have the wires/probes could be implemented in a way that the main part of the unit would be insulated from the heat, having only the wire portion being exposed to the heat.

I’m thinking that any part of the device which would be sensitive to the heat would be the PCB/battery portion.

1 Like

The 104°F limitation almost always refers to the batteries. There are a few plug-in leak sensors that can handle a wider range, but they are typically very expensive.

The one other battery powered leak sensor that I know of spec’s for above 104 degrees that works with smartthings comes from a company that has a patent on their battery because they wanted to make it very thin. But they were also able to get a wider temperature range, up to 140°F. Last I looked, these would work out of the box with no custom code required.

It does cost more than most of the other battery powered leak sensors, but a lot less than the plug-ins.

1 Like

Interesting. From googling there seem to be a fair number of coin cell and cr123 batteries that can go to 120 F or 140 F. So perhaps that’s the route I’ll take. Certainly don’t want anything exploding. Unless I can figure a way to get one with a wire into a cooler area.

1 Like

I see that Panasonic CR123A batteries are rated for up to 158 F. Not sure if that is an industry standard, or just the case with Panasonic.

I’m guessing a device manufacturer would know that consumers will ultimately be using batteries with different ratings, so maybe they put the device ratings on the lower end.

https://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/products/pt/lithium-batteries/models/CR123A

Yeah, there are a lot of variables including the size and shape of the battery as well as the composition.

There’s a general rule, however, which is that the warmer it is, the shorter the battery life will be. for that reason, most manufacturers will put an “operating range“ of lower than what the battery could physically withstand to reduce consumer complaints about it dying too quickly.

Battery life is reduced at higher temperatures – for every 15 degrees F over 77, battery life is cut in half.

So the numbers you’ll see with each model aren’t a hard limit: they are the recommended operating range.

2 Likes

I have an iris motion sensor in my mailbox (Cr123a battery) that easily hits 120 daily for 2-3 hours sustained. It’s been in there for roughly two years. I have changed the battery twice.

1 Like