Laundry Monitor by person

I’m not referring to a specific Laundry Monitor, just Laundy Monitors in general (though I guess it could apply to any monitor)…

There’s 3 people in this household, and sometimes we do our own laundry. So, I’m looking for a simple way for unique alerts to be setup (by each person), and only triggered for them when they are doing the laundry. That way, only the person doing the laundry gets the alert, or just their lights flash etc…

It’s kind of like a sub-mode relating to an activity/routine. Is that the right approach, having a different routine for each person, that can be enabled/disabled by them?

Hope I’m making sense.

Thanks.

[quote=“cmeans, post:1, topic:38300”]
It’s kind of like a sub-mode relating to an activity/routine.
[/quote]You could add a simulated switch for each person and send the notification based on which switch is on. To ensure that only one switch is on at a time, you could setup a routine for each person that turns on their switch and turns off the other two switches.

1 Like

Thanks. Can I use the On/Off Button Tile? It seems like it gives a bit more feedback about state?

I guess I’ll need to come up with a Master Routine (if that’s the right phrase) to integrate the various states and alerts, is that right?

[quote=“cmeans, post:3, topic:38300”]
Can I use the On/Off Button Tile
[/quote]I’ve never used it before, but I just tried it and the functionality appears to be the same.

[quote=“cmeans, post:3, topic:38300”]
I guess I’ll need to come up with a Master Routine (if that’s the right phrase) to integrate the various states and alerts, is that right?
[/quote]If you were planning on using the Laundry Monitor SmartApp to detect when your laundry is finished, it doesn’t appear to have the functionality needed to send different notifications.

The only way I can think of to implement this is to use Rule Machine. You could either create rules that handle the monitoring aspect and the notifications or use the Laundry Monitor app to detect when the laundry finishes and Rule Machine to send the notifications.

If you decide to use both apps, I think you will need to have another simulated switch that the laundry app turns on so that Rule Machine will have a way of knowing when the laundry finishes.

Since this involves 3 options for sending the notification, I think it will require 2 rules in Rule Machine.

1 Like

if you really wanted to automate this whole process, it is a bit of overkill but it would work for me as I have one on the door to where my laundry machines are, get a zwave lock for the door and give each user their unique code to access. You can have lock manager flip the virtual switches when the person enters that room.
That would make it a truly automated process as the person wouldn’t have to remember to flick a switch first

Good idea, but the room has lots of other things, and my family would shoot me if I forced them to unlock the door all the time. Its a pity that we can’t detect who is present in a room (though if they have their cell phone, a BT scan of some sort might work). Maybe Presence is enough of a place to start…everyone in the house gets the message :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

bluetooth presence is definitely a good idea. I was think ng of doing a similar thing with to detect the presence of the microsoft bands my family members wear. This could be easily achieved using a raspberry pi and micro bt usb dongle…pretty much similar to my AsusWRT smartapp but to poll the bluetooth stack instead.

i’ll have a go of setting this up soon as could be a good thing to have for limited range presence detection

1 Like

Does everyone in the household share your enthusiasm for this HA stuff? If not, I think having them do something on their phone each time would get old quickly. I haven’t fully thought this through yet, but I think a more promising approach would be to use NFC tags. You could have three different color tags in the laundry area, and people would only have to touch their phone to the correct tag, not fiddle with the app. To tie it all together would require a virtual switch, SharpTools, and of course some method of monitoring the washer/dryer state (vibration or current draw).

2 Likes

You’re right, they don’t have the same level of enthusiasm. Plus, “he who shall not be named” doesn’t really care if the laundry is ready for him to move to the next stage…if he did, he’d remember the wash cycle only takes 45 minutes, and would set up a simple timer :slightly_smiling:

So, even having them remember to bring their phone when they’re in the mud room doing laundry will probably cause extra pain. I’m looking for the most unobtrusive mechanisms, and ones that hopefully don’t require installing new habits.

I find it’s easy for me to develop new habits/routines, not so much for the other dwellers. I am the only geek.

I have mine send text messages (like many universities do) if they are present (got tired of messages when I’m at work and I had nothing to do with the current laundry situation). My son, who doesn’t always care to receive them even when home, has a virtual switch that he can use to enable or disable notifications. It seems to work for him - if he wants the message and doesn’t get it, it’s on him, and if he gets one and doesn’t want it, it’s still his fault. He’s gotten pretty good with flipping it as needed.

1 Like

[quote=“cmeans, post:9, topic:38300”]
So, even having them remember to bring their phone when they’re in the mud room doing laundry will probably cause extra pain.
[/quote]You could mount an Aeon Minimote to the washer so they’ll see it when they turn the washer on and all they’ll have to do is press their button number.

1 Like

You could build a mood cube and set it next to the washer/dryer. Print each persons name on each side and have them rotate the cube to their side. This could flip a virtual switch or cause some other action.

1 Like

With android phones, you could go with NFC tags, Tasker, and Sharptools for this I’m sure.

Put the phone down on the NFC tag to start everything. Maybe even use a smart outlet so you HAVE to do this to turn on the outlet to use the washer. Have it turn on a virtual switch based on which phone is tagged (sort of like a local presence to the laundry room) and have that reset and turn off the washer automatically when your cycle is complete based on the monitor you’re using.

2 Likes