Latest Smartthings app from Playstore: Network Configuration Grayed Out? (Q90R sound bar)

SmartThings/Mobile App/Android …

“These forums are a place for learning, helping, and sharing experiences with
SmartThings, SmartApps, the Internet of Things, and home automation.”

And whoever stated it was an ‘official’ support channel ?

It’s was an informative post as to the general nature of this forum but, being as rude as you have been to EVERYONE that has replied to you, I doubt that anyone else will reply.

2 Likes

Why ask for help, then dismiss everyone’s assistance and attack everyone. If you knew it all, you wouldn’t be here. As a tech reviewer, you should have been able to read the instructions and understand them. At this point, your reviews would seem to lack credibility.

1 Like

SET ID for 30 seconds is the reset. You obviously chose not to follow the directions. 5 seconds is to add devices.

Unlike you Anton, I’ve been in this community since April of 2015 so I think I am well well aware of what product this forum was started for and continues to be it’s main focus today. In fact, this forum was here long before Samsung acquired The Smartthings hub and thus, the SmartThings name. Being a “tech writer” who seems to know everything, I would think that you would have known this little bit of history.

Anyway, my skin is just the right thickness thank you and I’ve said my peace. I’m out of here.

Good riddance to you and your review.

That used to be true in the past, but is no longer true with the release of the newest V3 app.

Since that app combined a number of Samsung‘s product lines, including their smart televisions and smart appliances, all into one app, they now no longer assume that customers have a hub or need a hub.

For example, someone could have one of their $6000 smart televisions and a bunch of LIFX Wi-Fi lights and want to create some scenes with those, and they can just use The new V3 app without ever having a hub at all.

Or the only thing the customer has is the Samsung robot vacuum. This is now the only app that works with that.

There are other similar fairly common integrations, but of course they can’t include the zigbee or Z wave devices which do need a hub. But as long as it’s an official integration, many Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and cloud to cloud integrations work just fine with the new app without a hub.

This is a fairly recent change, and people are still getting used to it. :sunglasses:

Here is the official support-base article where they explain that you can add the smart appliances without having a hub:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002084986-Locations-in-the-SmartThings-app

You can create a Location and add compatible Samsung IoT devices without SmartThings Hub capability. (If you haven’t added a Location, adding your first device will automatically create a Location with the default name Home.) You can always add a SmartThings Hub (or compatible device with SmartThings Hub functionality) to the Location later

So it’s now a “hub optional“ platform, which it did not used to be.

SuperLAN Connect

There is one weird thing which I believe will eventually be considered a bug and get fixed, but right now doesn’t seem to be a priority.

There are some Wi-Fi devices which have an official integration but integrate at the LAN level using “super LAN connect.” These devices will tell you that you need a hub, even though you should be able to do it via a cloud to cloud integration. But because it’s the hub that monitors the local network for superLAN connect, they won’t let you add those without a hub. And even weirder, they seem to have included a few Bluetooth devices in that category, which really makes no sense. That’s all quite frustrating, and as I said, I hope they change that in the future.

I don’t think that’s what the OP has run into, I think instead they may have the issue I explain a couple of posts down where the WiFi has to be disconnected before it will let you change the settings. But I just wanted to mention it in case someone else finds this thread in the future.

The V3 app is still in a phase of rapid development and there’s a lot of changes every few weeks with it, and a lot of features which are still pretty glitchy. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

As others have mentioned, this forum was started a number of years ago before the Samsung acquisition and is peer to peer support, mostly for the hub-based features.

Samsung does have an entirely separate community site which is officially operated as part of their support channel, and does have employee experts. That’s used for all the other Samsung devices, including the smart appliances, televisions, and soundbars, even if they use the same app as the hub does.

You might try asking your question there, and see if you can get an employee to help. No promises, and it may be that someone in this community does happen to have an answer for you, but it’s an additional resource anyway. They have a “home theater” help forum there which would probably be the place to start.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Get-Help/ct-p/get-help

1 Like

Also, I’m not feeling very well today, so I’m not 100% sure if this is relevant to your problem or not, but there is a known issue that grays out that field. But I think that may only affect people who do have a hub.

If you do have a hub and are looking for an answer to this problem, Check the following thread and see if it helps any. Apparently you have to have the hub disconnected before it will let you change the settings in the app. Or something like that.

Again, I’m sorry I’m not feeling very well and I have some vision impairment and I have to mostly rely on my memory. Since I don’t have this particular model hub, I haven’t followed things super closely.

But to be honest, this may not apply to the OP in this thread, it’s just the only other time I can remember someone talking about that field being unavailable.

For the OP, I would definitely ask in the Samsung home theater help forum I mentioned, they should have a better answer for you. Again, I mostly just added this one in case someone else finds this thread in the future who does have a hub.

Sorry to be so useless on this, I wish I had a better answer. I did add the sound bar model number to the thread title, so maybe if somebody has that same device they’ll have something more helpful to add.

Again, I don’t think the following thread is going to apply to your situation, but it does discuss the network configuration option being greyed out so maybe it will help someone else in the future.

1 Like

Hey JD, thanks for all the comments - especially considering you’re not feeling well today. Much appreciated. And as much as I can appreciate what SmartThings forum once was - it clearly is one umbrella now and other folks should recognize that important change. But then again, their motives are pretty clear.

The beauty of the review process is we’re not only encouraged but directed to provide feedback on ALL aspects of the product experience - not just on the actual product but also through the official support channels & in the community forum realm. So this review go-around is going to be a lively one!

1 Like

If you get an answer from the official home theater forum, definitely let us know. As you say, this community is now serving the needs of many different people with many different devices, and my guess is within a year or so those with the hub will be in a minority. (Samsung sells a lot of televisions. :wink:) So I expect this is going to come up for other people in the future also. They’ve just done something really whack with that configure option.

I was thinking a little further about it, and it might be that the equivalent in your case is to unplug your Wi-Fi and then see if the feature is no longer grayed out. ( that is, Wi-Fi being unreachable allows you to reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings in the app.) But I have no idea if that will work, it just would be pretty easy to try while you’re waiting for an official answer. ( Field tech thinking. LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

1 Like

Thanks again JD. You’re an asset to this community.

I thought the same thing - forcing a ‘known network’ disappearance. I’ve gone through all the obvious and hinted to ‘paths’ via the manual & my own tech experience with no luck thus far. It’s looking more and more like an overlooked function for a newly introduced product that the app isn’t ‘tuned’ for. “Whack” wasn’t my first adjective but it applies…:grin: God forbid if I had used anything remotely more colorful… especially around the easily threatened and triggered.

Since network connectivity and the app experience are smaller facets to the overall review, I’ll be tackling the network dynamics further in the coming days. I’m actually going to do an IP block and router unplug as two additional steps. I’m also contemplating doing an extended power loss simulation on the bar itself to see if it ‘forgets’ settings and known connections. But all in due time. Spending time with the DSP is priority one, atm.

Contrary to what someone else suggested - as a troll-like drive by event - the Set ID function isn’t a hard reset function nor is it a ‘forget learned connections’ function. On the Q90R it’s a simple On/Off toggle for both the BT and WiFi ports - for those that are spooked by the IoT’s. :grin:

I’m essentially working for Samsung on this effort, so I’ll update my findings as they become appropriate & relevant.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yeah, in a sense we’re all beta testers for Samsung. :wink:

I wouldn’t assign any motive to anybody other than trying to be helpful, though. This is a really creative community, and people have come up with all kinds of workarounds for all kinds of platform issues. Lots of interest in problem-solving, and lots of people really generous with their time. :heart_eyes:

We often say that smartThings is “very powerful, but not very discoverable“ and that goes triple for the app. :scream:

But the community is great. It’s just that right now smartthings is in the middle of this huge transition: new app, new hub, new cloud platform. A lot of the stuff we used to know for certain just isn’t the same anymore.

And with two versions of the app and about six versions of the hub and seven or eight new countries, Plus a bunch of unannounced platform changes every week or two, It’s impossible to keep up and it’s driving everybody crazy. But it will all come together eventually. Meanwhile, we just keep rowing and try to help each other as best we can. :sunglasses:

Any followup reports would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Have you tried pressing and holding the gear icon on the remote for 15 seconds to reinitialize the soundbar? Not sure if it is the same function for your model.

1 Like

I was not aware that this had been changed. Thank you for clarifying that for me. I especially appreciate that you did so in an informative, respectful, and generally non-snarky way.

1 Like

I always find the input from others in this community to be most beneficial; I just wanted to comment… You’re kind of a jerk.

1 Like

Yes same issue here

1 Like

I had same problem, fixed by force stop the smarthings app, clear data, uninstall, find and install version 1.7.36-23 apk, added Q90R no problems, then updated to newest version everything works.

Newest app version is 1.7.43-22. Doesn’t help. Soundbar support page shows a firmware version of 1008.
SThings app shows a completely different number structure …not even remotely related. Samsung has ‘version’ issues when it comes to apps communicating with product databases. Fact !

Were you able to figure this out? I’m having issues trying to connect to Q90R.

Thanks

Samsung had me send my HW-Q90R to a service center in N.J. and they replaced both the WiFi module & the main board. When I got it back, it was @ firmware 1008 and SmartThings would finally apply the most recent update … 1010.5.