Keen Smart Home Vents

Correct, no ZigBee OTA updates at this time… yet.

1 Like

Does anyone know when or if Keen will start shipping non-rectangle vents? All my vents are square so I can’t really use them even though I would like to. Seems odd to only offer one shape in different sizes. You would imagine offering another shape would widely increase the consumer base :smiley:

No Z-wave OTA right now either.

1 Like

Do you know of any updates worth going through the trouble of pairing it to a Keen hub? I didn’t think about updates, until you mentioned.

They did adjust the algorithinms a bit. It was in their blog post about their hub update.

My smartapps are now officially approved by Keen Home:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

They are available for download at my store:

Regards.

2 Likes

Well done Yves. This has been working great for me and now ST has fixed the Lyric integration I am looking forward to seeing all the benefits again. Congratulations on the “seal of approval” from Keen.

Has anyone had issues just connecting the Keen to the ST hub? No matter how many times I reset it (press the reset button 5 times) or remove the batteries the sequence of lights is: 1 green (power on), 2 green (searching for hub), then 3 green (connected to hub). The ST app doesnt see it nor does the Keen show up in the IDE Device list. I tried both the device handler by jscgs350 and the stock. Do I need to exchange both my vents?

Was the vent already connected to the Keen hub? I had one vent I couldn’t seem to get connected to ST Hub until I removed it from the Keen hub. It happened to be my first vent so that is why it was paid with the Keen hub- before I got my ST hub.

I just bought the vents, brand new from Lowes. I cant find instructions to do a hard reset without having the Keen hub, which is ridiculous.

Edit: I give up. Im going to return it and wait for a better product. I even requested the ceiling mounting kit weeks ago, they said they will send it, but never did. I have the older version of the vent, so itll be a safety hazard too. Ugh…

Edit 2: Magically, I have Keen vents in my devices needing configuration. They are currently in my car ready to go back to the store tomorrow lol. They were able to join now.

for a facory reset, make sure you press the black button under the vents 5 times, wait for the LED to flash and then take the battery out

Go into ST and start a device discovery and then re-insert the battery. This would discover the device

i do see on occasion, ST does not show new device being discovered, but if you go back to your Things, there is a new device waiting to be configured…

I think my pairing issue was ST’s fault. I heard the service was struggling last night. I did notice that my Echo could not send commands to any of my ST switch and the app was slower than normal.

So. How are you all liking your vents? Have they solved your issue or mitigated it substantially? I see discussion about technical issues, but nothing about whether you think they are worth it.

Thanks for your input.

Some of my rooms used to feel too hot/cold and they are now in a more comfortable state since i installed the vents…

Overall i’m happy.My electric & gas bills are lower by 10% on average…

2 Likes

i need help. I have a Keen Bridge where all my vents are connected. How do i add a Smart things hub to act like a repeater as some vents are not responding due to probably distance. Any suggestions?? i need details because i can’t find anything out there.

You would need to remove the vents from Keen hub and pair them with ST and use a SmartApp to manage them

You can then pair the Keen hub with ST and it will act as a generic zigbee repeater

Alternatively if you like the keen app and its schedules, you can buy another keen hub to act as a repeater

Repeater hubs do not need to be connected on Ethernet, just power

I am seeing pressure reported to be pretty high by 3 orders of magnitude. The reported pressure is 101456.2 Pa which would be ~407 iwc. Given that vent doesn’t open up automatically when closed, I am assuming this is reporting error on the device handler? Can you confirm and fix please.

101452Pa is about 1.001atm. To calculate icw you need two pressures, on either side of the vent. Assuming typical 1atm outside of the vent, you’d have a differential of 131 Pa, equivalent to about 0.53 inch of water column. 1 icw is about 248 Pa at 60F.

1 Like

Thanks. So the pressure sensor is not sensing differential, instead absolute pressure? Without differential, how the vent is making the decision to open automatically should the differential grow beyond .5 iwc?

It probably measures the outside pressure too. Or assumes it to be 1atm? I don’t have a Keen, but that’s how inH2O/icw/icg works.